The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pick your Health Goal Two Month Challenge

Bet you have some paranoid neighbors. 🤣
My wife said the same thing when I started doing it. Most of my neighbors are prior military and/or current law enforcement...or all around "good ol' boys." Most of them don't think of it. And quite honestly...I am at the point in my life where if my neighbors did care...well they can suck it. :) Respectfully of course.

Okay...Okay...Okay! I have delayed long enough!

I was pleasantly surprised that 67% of you completed the challenge for the month of May! I hope that during this month at the very least all of you reflected on what you need to do to get to a healthier place in your life...or maybe reflected on how to stay healthy. Either way I am very proud of you all! I know for me...my road this month has not been easy...but I am making inroads. I feel like I am in a place where I am building on a good workout habit.

But enough of that. You guys want to know who won the May prize.

I am happy to announce that after tabulating who posted what on each week...there were four qualifiers. I imputed fancy algorithms into super computers (I used a random number generator on the internet).

The winner of the Pick Your Health Goal Challenge is... @ShawnF

Congratulations!!!

So what did Shawn win! A $25 gift card to Stirling Soap Co.!!! I hope you enjoy! Look for a PM from me later in the day!

And to the rest of you...thank you so much!

Now...if you didn't win this time...don't fret...there are still two more prizes. If you were not eligible for a prize in May...no worries...June starts afresh and new...slates are clean! One post a week...that is all you have to do!

And if you are one of the lucky ones that posted each week for the entire challenge, then you will be eligible for the overall grand prize! So...two more prizes are still up for grabs.

Thanks again! You all! This has been a lot of fun so far and some really good conversations!

Yesterday was my first full day of fasting in quite some time. I'd gone to an on again off again cycle of intermittent fasting which wasn't working very well. Reflecting on what I did last month (and didn't do), gave me the spark to do better this month. I always feel better when I'm fasting, for the most part. And if I start feeling sluggish, I eat again. Not sure how long I'll go, at least today as well, maybe tomorrow. But I do want to drop at least 30 lbs (hopefully 40) by October. I want to feel better and look better for my wedding. Fasting is always a good kick start and motivator when you see the scale going down every morning.

I honestly think you need to see a new Doc.
Actually, the Doc is really good. This time I saw a nurse and the PA. In all honesty, it was the nurse that said about the mountain dew, but partially in jest. The citric acid is there and it is good for breaking stones, just not the best way to get it.
As for the other dietary stuff, that was on a paper the PA gave me for ways to reduce them.

So what did Shawn win! A $25 gift card to Stirling Soap Co.!!! I hope you enjoy! Look for a PM from me later in the day!
SWEET! Thanks Don!

Alright.........another week gone by. Not much has changed but my energy level is way up. I used to feel tired midweek and now I'm raring to go today. Frankly I think its making my wife exhausted. After work I'm ready to dig into one of the last few boxes we have left to unpack and she's ready to sleep. Oh well......I work better when I'm not distracted. I've also noticed that my skin isn't nearly as dry as its been the past few years. Living in the desert its imperative that you maintain your proper level of moisture....I guess I'd fallen behind at some point. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

But walking in 108 degree heat is not fun. So I've opted to take extra long walks around the inside of the building here at work. Not as scenic but I'm not out in the blazing sun for 30 minutes.

Just wish the scale would start showing some progress. I seem to have stalled just above 180lbs. But that may change after this weekend. I'm planning to do a bit more work around the house so that should knock a few lbs off.

The kitchen renno is still making life tricky. It's basically like camping at home here now. But starting the diet today, can't wait any longer.
First week or two is nothing major just dropping a few carbs as best I can. Once the kitchen is in, and I can make all of my food like normally, it will be a lot easier.

In the mean time, I've been fantasizing about making my own 'calorie counter' app. Since I hate every one that I've tried. Actually managed to get the first stage ready last week, so I can use it now.

Last edited:
been taking this week kinda slow. had to drive 180 miles round trip today from torrance to hisperia ca for a gradution, so i wasnt able to get a work out in. debating on whether or not to do a heated class tomrrow. been getting a bit burnt out on the heated yoga classes. may take some unheated classes for the next few days.

Fasting Day 4. Still feeling good. Surprised how easy it was to get back into fasting after a while of being out of it. No major hunger issues. But looking forward to breaking my fast tonight. Almost 10 lbs down (a lot of water weight). But I'm optimistic that not much of it comes back on when I start eating again. Hoping to do a 3-4 day fast each week, depending on my schedule.

did a regular unheated yoga session today, wasnt to bad. gonna try out this class tomrrow with free weights and see how that goes. it is a heated class so hopefully it wont be too bad

Great to see everyone posting. The family made a trip to the beach for a long weekend. So far plenty of walking in the sand with fresh gulf breeze. Does the body and mind some good!

did an hours worth of heated piliates today with light free weights and yesterday i did a heated yoga class. im thinking for tomrrow i will take it easy and do some unheated yoga.

Back