The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

PASS AROUND of a Brass Colonial General any interest ??

Here is the razor next to its cousin. No shave today but will have the first tomorrow. I know there is a pack of schicks but think Ill go with a Kai since those are my bread and butter with the alumn version.

Alright. So the site went into maintenance mode when I got the general so no posts were able to be put up. I'll do my best to summarize the experience.

The ergonomics of the brass and aluminum is exactly the same. The biggest difference is the weight. I compare it to driving a zippy car like a Mini Cooper. Throw the aluminum one around without worrying too much and always leaves me at least DFS+ to BBS. 2.5 passes and I am done. It is very reliable and the perfect blade angle and exposure. Well at least for me. This is a YMMV thing.

Now you pick up the brass and makes you go whoa. Its hefty. Reminds me of a nice solid luxurious german car, let's go with the Benz S Class for comparison sake. You give it a little bit of throttle and it is a smooth drive. Don't push it too hard or it gets very powerful if you arent careful. You can throw it around but need to do it smoothly where as the aluminium was more forgiving due to the lightweight.

The shave experience definitely makes you focus more on the pressure. Less is always more and as long as you take smooth and steady strokes, you are rewarded. Treat it with respect and the razor will respect you back. I thoroughly enjoyed this and can see it being an everyday shaver.

Back in the day I was given the opportunity to test out an Asylum RX that was stainless steel and was as heavy as the brass Colonial. I never got comfortable with the Asylum like I did with the Colonial. The angle exposure and ergonomics just didnt sit right for me. I know its a favorite for some but not for me. Unfortunately, I felt this way with all the Gillette Adjustables (I've tried them all even my birth year which I gave away).

I know variety is the spice of life but I can honestly say I could be totally content with having a rotation of generals in my den without any issues. It'll never happen but it is the ultimate razor for me. The brass just provides a classy look and feel. Now I just need to pick one up in the third party market. I know the company has shut down for a bit and exploring a DE razor - I'd assume this would be more accepted by the masses since SE razors only make up a small subset of market share. It is a shame though. On that note, Ill end the review and leave you with some pictures.

Edit: My blade of choice is the Kai. I like them better than the Feather line. I know the Schicks were included so I may stag a blade to test out. The reason why I like the Kai is that the blade really mellows out nicely and provides me a smooth edge that matches my face and hair. It lasts too since I can keep the same blade for months before I even think about switching it out for a new one. Definitely a keeper in my book. Again YMMV.

Updated List
  1. Dave in KY (Completed)
  2. DocHoliday0831. (Completed)
  3. cvargo (Completed)
  4. Spider (Completed)
  5. dangerousdon (Completed)
  6. ShavePastor (Completed )
  7. dmshaver (Completed)
  8. sskim3 (In Hand Testing)
  9. dkeester (Covered up from a Pif but waiting)

Great write-up Tom! Glad the Brass General was also to your liking; as you said, time to find one on the second-hand market! Always glad to enable!

@Dave - would you be open to adding another person to the passaround? If so, I'd love to get a chance to use the General after Doug.

Thanks.
Bob

Bob, if you want to take a turn after Doug, that's all good! (I'm assuming Doug is the last in line).

Apologies. I have been somewhat out of the loop on the forums since the change over and this pass around slipped my mind. I have not yet received the razor, as Dave mentioned.

Bob, if you want to take a turn after Doug, that's all good! (I'm assuming Doug is the last in line).
Thanks much!

3. cvargo (Completed)
  4. Spider (Completed)
  7. dmshaver (Completed)
  9. dkeester (waiting)
  10. bobmsp

Hoping to join in.

3. cvargo (Completed)
  4. Spider (Completed)
  7. dmshaver (Completed)
  9. dkeester (waiting)
  10. bobmsp
  11. Lbkindy

3. cvargo (Completed)
  4. Spider (Completed)
  7. dmshaver (Completed)
  8. sskim3 (Completed)
  9. dkeester (In Hand Testing)
  10. bobmsp (On Deck)
  11. Lbkindy (Waiting in the Wings)

Today was my first shave with the Brass General and it was beautiful. I am still BBS eight hours later. I used a Feather Pro, my TSC Membership Brush, and some Abbate y La Mantia Don Jose.
I am a very happy shaver today.

Back