The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

PASS AROUND of a Brass Colonial General any interest ??

I shaved with my aluminum General today for comparison. The results were just as good as with the brass General, however the weight of the brass version did make it easier to get those results. They are both great razors.

I shaved with my aluminum General today for comparison. The results were just as good as with the brass General, however the weight of the brass version did make it easier to get those results. They are both great razors.
I found similar results in my comparison, in the end preferring heft of the Brass.

1. Dave in KY (Completed)
  2. DocHoliday0831. (Completed)
  3. cvargo (Completed)
  4. Spider (Completed)
  5. dangerousdon (Completed)
  6. ShavePastor (Completed )
  7. dmshaver (Completed)
  8. sskim3 (Completed)
  9. dkeester (In Hand Testing)
  10. bobmsp (On Deck)
  11. Lbkindy (Waiting in the Wings)

Gentlemen,

Please permit me to withdraw from this pass around. I am grateful for the opportunity, but my cup run neath over as I am also on another pass around and it looks like they may both arrive around the same time. I won't have enough time to properly evaluate them both and I am more intrigued by the other opportunity.

Thanks

The shave on Friday with the General was stellar. No complaints there.

Saturday and Sunday were both straight shaves for me, but I did use the Brass General for a cleanup pass both days. My skin tends to be really tender after shaving with a straight, so I thought the Brass General would be a safe bet for cleanup. It turns out that it wasn't the best choice for me. The weight of the razor adds aggression, so it added to the tenderness that I experienced. This razor is great on its own, but not (for me, at least) in conjunction with a straight shave.

1. Dave in KY (Completed)
  2. DocHoliday0831. (Completed)
  3. cvargo (Completed)
  4. Spider (Completed)
  5. dangerousdon (Completed)
  6. ShavePastor (Completed )
  7. dmshaver (Completed)
  8. sskim3 (Completed)
  9. dkeester (Ready to Mail to next Member)
  10. bobmsp (Anxiously Waiting Member)

Package arrived yesterday, so I readied the General for a shave today:

Preshave: Grooming Dept Lavender
Soap: B&M Reserve Lavender
Brush: Chubby 2 Super
Razor: Colonial General - Brass
Blade: Schick P-30 (1)
Aftershave: ABC Almond Oil AS Milk

I usually am a 2-pass shaver through the week and then go for a close 3-pass shave on Saturdays. (I often will use a more aggressive shaver on Saturdays as well, such as an iKon Tech or an R41.) So it seemed like a perfect day to give the General an extended test drive.

I believe that I used an AC razor once before, but I can't say that I have much experience with the format. However, if today's shave is any indication, I'll likely be using one a lot more. My shave was excellent - one of my best - and with less irritation than I sometimes g3et with a more aggressive one.

First impressions of the razor: It felt heavy to me, but then I weighed it and it's only a gram or two heavier than my Timeless SS. Also, the handle is a little slippery for me. I will try some alum on my next shave.

I'm looking forward to a few more shaves with this puppy.

Shave # 2 with the General:

Took yesterday off since I really didn't have a strong need to shave. Today's was a two-pass shave with a little cleanup.

Soap: Phoenix & Beau Albion
Blade: Schick P-30 (1)
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

While I didn't rush through my shave, this one went quickly. Still getting used to the wider blade. Very smooth and clean with almost no irritation at all (although I noticed what must've been a small weeper behind my jaw line under the back of my ear on the way to work). I could get used to this! I'm on deck for the Vector in that pass-around so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Great stuff Bob! The General is certainly an easy shaving razor, as are most of the AC SE razors I've had the pleasure of using. Glad you're getting some good shaves out of it!

Shave #3 with the General:

Soap: Declaration Grooming - CL Bon Vivant
Brush: Paladin Cleo
Blade: Schick P-30 (3)
Aftershave: Proraso Green

I wish there was more to say about today's shave with the General - I feel like I'm repeating myself by reporting another wonderful shave. Spent a little more time today with touch up today thanks to the great lather, so I got about as close to BBS as I've ever gotten with a 2-pass shave.

By the way, thanks to @Dagwoodz or whomever put the Declaration soap in with the razor. I have a few tubs of the bison base in line for use, but it's been several months since I've used a DG soap. Boy, I forgot how wonderful it is. I'm glad I had a chance to try the Bon Vivant as well. From the description, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. And when I opened the sample, I found a sour/bitter note that I've noticed in other CV scents. So things were not promising. But lathering and shaving were much better scent-wise. I'd describe the scent as somewhere between root beer and Fernet Branca. It's the sort of thing that I could see warming up to. If I'm feeling adventurous someday and want to buy a DG, perhaps I'll pick up some Bon Vivant.

Awesome review of your time with the General, Bob, Glad you were able to get some time with it!

And that goes for everyone who participated in the pass-around. Thanks for taking advantage of the opportunity, and a HUGE THANK YOU to Dave for organizing it! I know I enabled one person to find a brass General for themselves, part of the reason, but at the same time, it was about getting to use a razor that very likely won't get produced again; at least for the foreseeable future.

I really did enjoy reading everyone's comments on the General...that made it worth having it out of hand for over 6 months. Hopefully, when I get back to the states full-time, I'll be able to do some additional pass-arounds. Thanks again everyone, and @Dave in KY , thank you so much!!!!

Shave #4 with the General:

Soap: Phoenix & Beau Albion
Blade: Schick P-30 (4)
Aftershave: Dr. Jon's Hydra
Moisturizer: Stirling Grapefruit

Fourth verse - same as the first. Not much more to report today. My face feels a little waxy today, but I chalk that up to the use of moisturizer on top of everything else. Unless I have something earthshaking to write about, I'll probably write up my remaining shaves in a final post. Needless to say, the General 2.0 will be on my radar when it appears.

Back