The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Shaving World

Yep, I don't want to say it's as good as the moderns, because then I'd really feel like I wasted my money. But it's darn near as good as the moderns.

That's where I'm at. I keep trying all these new fancy razors, some which aren't cheap, hoping for a better shave..... and have yet to find anything that blows vintage razors out of the water.

All caught up on the video Dave. Great shave! This was definitely an entertaining one. Although I have to ask, what was the concern at the end about your hair? Looked fine to me.

All caught up on the video Dave. Great shave! This was definitely an entertaining one. Although I have to ask, what was the concern at the end about your hair? Looked fine to me.
Eh, just too much product and not looking natural. I haven't really used anything for most of my life, so when I put something in it, I always think it's going to stand out and look silly to everyone else.

No way. Looked good to me.
1f44c.png
I don’t care what they are saying SCF, you’re okay.

Dave's new Creed

This is my brush. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My brush is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My brush, without me, is useless. Without my brush, I am useless.

I disagree with your point about a brush not being necessary to apply lather. I’m mean, if you’re just applying with paint brush strokes then yeah, you could use your fingers with the same result. But brushes are meant to rub the face, and help prep the face for an even better shave. Brushes massage the face, getting lather into all the nooks and crannies, and also lifting the bristles and getting lather under every side of the hair.

I disagree with your point about a brush not being necessary to apply lather. I’m mean, if you’re just applying with paint brush strokes then yeah, you could use your fingers with the same result. But brushes are meant to rub the face, and help prep the face for an even better shave. Brushes massage the face, getting lather into all the nooks and crannies, and also lifting the bristles and getting lather under every side of the hair.
I get distracted and maybe didn’t finish my thought. I was trying to make the point that getting the lather on your face to shave, a $10 or $400 brush will do that, lift the hairs etc. The different in enjoyment and feel of the two won’t effect the outcome of the shave.

Well Mr Dave after watching your videos and getting caught up I am going to go back two weeks. I really enjoyed the Napa Shaves. Going to Napa Valley is on our bucket list but we have no idea where to even begin. Megan said, "Hey when we go to Napa, get that guy to tour us around!"

I followed your trip to Napa (sort of) on Facebook, you posted some cool pictures there. I am fortunate to have a pallet that doesn’t know this difference between Napa and bathtub wine so I can find some enjoyment in some pretty cheap stuff. I don’t know what it is about wines, maybe it’s the effect exposure to air has on it but the third and fourth glass are WAY better than the first...or at least that’s what I seem to remember. We have a winery within a couple hours of me called the Orphelia winery. They have two separate areas they grow in but both are around the Escondido area where the winery is located. When I was in sales I was “stationed” near that winery for about 3 months and found myself spending a lot of time there (pretty much every afternoon). Before long other members of my team started showing up. My numbers went way down but the wine was good. I ended up ordering a case of Moscato that was wonderfully sweet and smooth. When I first tasted it I read the description at the table and was surprised to find I actually tasted what was described. I mentioned this to the guy next to me and he said “thanks, I just wrote that description this morning”. He was one of the workers. I tend to like a nice moscato or moscato d’asti but not all of them are wonderful. I also like Riesling (sweet is preferred but dry is good too) and some in similar varieties. If it’s not a sweet or dessert wine they end up tasting very much the same to me. I had a client give me a $200 bottle of wine (she bought several cases for an office party) she said was one of her favorites and it honestly tasted like crap...but it made a killer salad dressing.

im sure your ability to explore and enjoy the nuances of wine are skills that have made it more possible to explore and enjoy fine fragrances. I must admit I am jealous of that ability.

Megan said, "Hey when we go to Napa, get that guy to tour us around!"
I’d love to. My sister and her husband wanted to experience Napa. We did a two day trip for them. First day were the big name and more touristy wineries and the 2nd was more exclusive tastings. Get to see both sides that way.

Thank you for sharing all that

I don’t know what it is about wines, maybe it’s the effect exposure to air has on it but the third and fourth glass are WAY better than the first...or at least that’s what I seem to remember.
Yep, that's exactly what that is. That's why many times in my photos for what I'm drinking that night, you'll see the wine in a decanter. Speeds up that process.

I had a client give me a $200 bottle of wine (she bought several cases for an office party) she said was one of her favorites and it honestly tasted like crap...but it made a killer salad dressing.
1f62c.png

Different tastes for everyone, that's for sure. You can give me a $200 bottle from France and I won't drink it.

Back