The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Shaving World

As soon as you started applying larger to your face, I was thinking.... “Now, That, is a good thick lather!”

Nice info on the wines. Enjoyed it.
Thanks man. You know what’s funny? I think in an effort to not make my lather too thin, I haven’t been adding enough water. Time will tell if I got it worked out.

Finally got around to watching the latest video. Hope you had a good time Dave! You need to start sharing your wine knowledge. I’ve been wanting to get into wine for a while, but have no idea where to start.

Very nice Dave. How often do you guys go?

Back in 2010 I completed my Level 3 Certification with the WSET. It was a hobby that led me to open the Wine store. Ugh, that was hell but gain some amazing relationships in the wine world.

I am more Sonoma Coast and Willamette fan over Napa as well as Europe, but I have a few favorites from Napa too.

Finally got around to watching the latest video. Hope you had a good time Dave! You need to start sharing your wine knowledge. I’ve been wanting to get into wine for a while, but have no idea where to start.
One place to start looking are wine stores in your area. They might have tastings ranging from just getting a sip of a couple of wines to someone knowledgeable about a specific area giving history and pouring wines just from one area. Nothing really can replace just exposing yourself to a lot of different things to try to narrow down what you might enjoy. I didn't drink a lick of wine before I met my wife and didn't really understand there was much more than white and red.

Very nice Dave. How often do you guys go? \n\nBack in 2010 I completed my Level 3 Certification with the WSET. It was a hobby that led me to open the Wine store. Ugh, that was hell but gain some amazing relationships in the wine world. \n\nI am more Sonoma Coast and Willamette fan over Napa as well as Europe, but I have a few favorites from Napa too.
\nWe\'re up there at least quarterly to pick-up our shipments. But like this time, the shipments weren\'t ready and we were going because my wife got a deal on the hotel for that weekend. We\'ll be up again next month to pick-up.\n\nI\'ll tell ya. I\'ve tried to find wines outside of Napa that I enjoy. Even if for no other reason than to find something that costs less. I\'ve taken the course, gone to tastings for regions around the world. My palate is really set to the Napa valley. The middle part of the valley to be specific ? I\'ve found I don\'t like much acidity in wine because I get a tart taste that I really just hate. Most those European food wines just have that in spades. So that explains why Sonoma and Oregon aren\'t really my cup of tea either. Though I did find Patricia Green in Oregon that does Pinots in a fashion that I like. So I order Pinot from there. I have had a few from the Paso Robles area I like, but it\'s just to far to get to. I\'m pretty much signed to my fate of being a Napa snob and spend my time researching the boutique wineries there.

One place to start looking are wine stores in your area. They might have tastings ranging from just getting a sip of a couple of wines to someone knowledgeable about a specific area giving history and pouring wines just from one area. Nothing really can replace just exposing yourself to a lot of different things to try to narrow down what you might enjoy. I didn't drink a lick of wine before I met my wife and didn't really understand there was much more than white and red.

So I just need to go out and drink? You don’t have to tell me twice ???

I actually live within 5 miles of 4 different wineries, so it sounds like that’s where I need to go first. Not sure what kind of reputation South Jersey Wine Country has....

So I just need to go out and drink? You don’t have to tell me twice ???

I actually live within 5 miles of 4 different wineries, so it sounds like that’s where I need to go first. Not sure what kind of reputation South Jersey Wine Country has....
Probably the same as all reputations South Jersey has ???

So I just need to go out and drink? You don’t have to tell me twice
1f923.png
1f602.png
1f923.png

Let's just say it's not usually noted as one of the top growing regions in the US for wine ?

No no, not wineries. Wine shops my three names comrade. Branch out and far away from the east coast. Try Napa, France, Spain, Australia and Germany.

Well in NJ everything alcoholic is sold in a liquor store. So most places don’t really specialize. I just need to start trying stuff and find something I like

Well in NJ everything alcoholic is sold in a liquor store. So most places don’t really specialize. I just need to start trying stuff and find something I like

For you Steve look into Gary’s and the Wine Library. Two excellent examples of larger yet amazing selections in NJ. Little further north of you though. Let me do some research in your area. NJ has some of the best boutique wine stores around.

Yeah stay away from those PA and NJ vineyards.
Charlottesville VA actually had some up and coming vineyards. And if you can get up to the Finger Lakes of NY. Long Island Wines are hit or miss though.

\n\nFor you Steve look into Gary’s and the Wine Library. Two excellent examples of larger yet amazing selections in NJ. Little further north of you though. Let me do some research in your area. NJ has some of the best boutique wine stores around.\n\nYeah stay away from those PA and NJ vineyards. \nCharlottesville VA actually had some up and coming vineyards. And if you can get up to the Finger Lakes of NY. Long Island Wines are hit or miss though.
\n\nIt seems that most of the wineries in my area specialize in fruit wines. A little too sweet for me. \n\nAlso, sorry for taking over your thread Dave ???. Maybe we can move this discussion to a more appropriate thread in the Other Interests area.

No worries Mr Three Name. Banter makes the cadre go round.

Really glad you like it, I very nearly kept it! Super speeds are great little razors. My regret was I couldn’t get my hands on an adjustable too to get your vintage collection going. Your birth quarter must be real popular as I had trouble tracking one down.

Well, it's probably best you didn't keep it. I'm sure it doesn't shave as well if you don't use your own year ?

Yep, I don't want to say it's as good as the moderns, because then I'd really feel like I wasted my money. But it's darn near as good as the moderns.

Back