The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Shaving World

As you say, everybody watches videos for different reasons. I enjoy hearing general impressions about products especially regarding scents, but most of all I just like catching up with the member. I like that little chance to hear from you and get to know you a bit better.

I will say, your CBL lather looks a bit light. I lather off the puck for about 10-15 seconds and is much thicker than yours. Might try pulling a little bit more product out for your lather. I think you’ll notice a big difference.

As you say, everybody watches videos for different reasons. I enjoy hearing general impressions about products especially regarding scents, but most of all I just like catching up with the member. I like that little chance to hear from you and get to know you a bit better.

I will say, your CBL lather looks a bit light. I lather off the puck for about 10-15 seconds and is much thicker than yours. Might try pulling a little bit more product out for your lather. I think you’ll notice a big difference.
Ya, I've been trying to figure it out. I use a lot less water than I do for any other soap. And I've been thinking about using more product, but again it will be the only soap I have to do that with. So I guess I'm being stubborn and thinking if this works for every other soap, CBL should be no different, but I guess it is. Hmmm, a tactic to get us to burn through his soaps? The last two shaves it was a bit thicker, but I didn't want to leave it as thick as I've been using it for a straight shave, and just a touch more water took it over the edge.

I just watch for the bloodshed...........NO really as KJ it's a chance to get to know someone better and maybe learn a new technique or something along the way. Nice shave Dave

Sorry your nick went all Miley on you.

Good job trying some new stuff during the Feather passes. Experimentation is really key IMO early on, to figure out what works best; otherwise you’re just settling.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any of you also finding you need to use more product when lathering CBL?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any of you also finding you need to use more product when lathering CBL?
Yeah, just shaved with the TSC soap and haven't even posted in my journal yet. I thought I had plenty but was thin on the 3rd pass although slick and protective. I'll just load more next time.

I can't say whether I use more product or not, I load from the tub and the soap is a pretty fast loader so it's possible there is more product than other soaps. I load other soaps from the tub too so I guess It's just as likely I use more product over all.

In the end, all that matters is you are getting the experience you want. If using more product means a better experience then do it, if not, then don't.

Nice stuff Dave. I think the videos humanizes the forum even more. I feel like everyone pretty well on this forum. And one day I hope we can all enjoy a beer together and it will be like old friends catching up!

Nice stuff Dave. I think the videos humanizes the forum even more. I feel like everyone pretty well on this forum. And one day I hope we can all enjoy a beer together and it will be like old friends catching up!
Totally agree

Nice shave Dave. Thanks for the shout out. I think that the technique looked fine if it is what works for you then that is best. The lather did look a bit thinner than i would like but some folks like their lather watery and thin. Josh gets amazing results from wetter thinner lathers.

Good shave Dave!

Agreed on the thin lather. Could just be a combo of being too distracted by the camera and learning the soap. I know you’ll get it!

Watching your technique I may have noticed something that could be an issue ...if I am seeing it correctly. I see the angle on the left cheek is much more acute than the angle on the right. The acutely angle is more agressive than a shallower one. The agressive can lead to a better or closer shave but it can also result in more irritation. I would normally suggest a shallower angle but will say if you go too shallow the results will be disappointing, causing you to go over the area more frequently or press harder without realizing you’re doing it. If you are going to use a shallow angle it is important to have a slick lather to avoid potential drag or chatter.

If you are using the kamisori fixing the angle is as easy as rotating the handle, with the folding style it may not be as easy because you are used to a certain balance or feel.

I think your lather looked ok but i’m Guessing it could have taken more water. I face lather more often than bowl but when I bowl lather I have a hard time getting the water right. (Opposite of what people normally say). Doing a good splash rinse between passes is a good way to add water to a lather and increase slickness.

i could be wrong on the angles but it’s worth a look.

regarding using both hands... I don’t. I use my right hand for everything except the ear to mouth pass on the left cheek. I get some blind spots but as early as I’m shaving there’s a chance my eyes are closed anyway.

Great Shave Dave! I'm with you about the blind spot...it really annoys me but what are you going to do! Thanks for the video!

Watching your technique I may have noticed something that could be an issue ...if I am seeing it correctly. I see the angle on the left cheek is much more acute than the angle on the right. The acutely angle is more agressive than a shallower one. The agressive can lead to a better or closer shave but it can also result in more irritation. I would normally suggest a shallower angle but will say if you go too shallow the results will be disappointing, causing you to go over the area more frequently or press harder without realizing you’re doing it. If you are going to use a shallow angle it is important to have a slick lather to avoid potential drag or chatter.

If you are using the kamisori fixing the angle is as easy as rotating the handle, with the folding style it may not be as easy because you are used to a certain balance or feel.

I think your lather looked ok but i’m Guessing it could have taken more water. I face lather more often than bowl but when I bowl lather I have a hard time getting the water right. (Opposite of what people normally say). Doing a good splash rinse between passes is a good way to add water to a lather and increase slickness.

i could be wrong on the angles but it’s worth a look.

regarding using both hands... I don’t. I use my right hand for everything except the ear to mouth pass on the left cheek. I get some blind spots but as early as I’m shaving there’s a chance my eyes are closed anyway.
Nice shave Dave. I got no advice other then keep it up. I need to break mine out and start getting the practice like you are.
Great Shave Dave! I'm with you about the blind spot...it really annoys me but what are you going to do! Thanks for the video!
Thanks guys. I'll try to pay attention to that CBL. I've been concentrating a lot on pressure, but I'll try to think about the angle next time as well.

Back