The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Shaving World

Dave, you’re killing me with your objection to classic aftershaves. Have you tried them, or is it just the idea that bugs you? I had the same reservations when I first started wet shaving. I assumed that Aqua Velma was still available at grocery stores because a bunch of 60-70 yr old guys were still buying it. Then I saw a bunch of folks on B&B talking about it, so I asked. Yep, it’s good stuff and I’m glad I gave it a shot. I love all the classics. AV, Skin Bracer, Brut, Old Spice.... really, they aren’t just old guy scents. They are classics! And they are really good. If you haven’t tried them, please give them a shot. They are cheap, so not much of a gamble, even if you don’t end up liking them. But those are really what got me started on my AS journey and discovery, and I still enjoy all of them.

As for that tonic..... I’m really curious. I agree, that what everybody calls barbershop has no correlation to what I think of when I think about going to barbershops as a child. For me, the closest I can get is Jeris Hair Tonic. If somebody would make a shave soap scented like that, I’d be in heaven. So, since you said it’s not a typical barbershop scent I’m really curious what it smells like.

Om glad you have a Rockwell headed your way. Of The 3 razors Dave let me try, I enjoyed that (the 6S) the most. I would love to add one to my den!

Nice videos! Keep it up man!

Dave, you’re killing me with your objection to classic aftershaves. Have you tried them, or is it just the idea that bugs you? I had the same reservations when I first started wet shaving. I assumed that Aqua Velma was still available at grocery stores because a bunch of 60-70 yr old guys were still buying it. Then I saw a bunch of folks on B&B talking about it, so I asked. Yep, it’s good stuff and I’m glad I gave it a shot. I love all the classics. AV, Skin Bracer, Brut, Old Spice.... really, they aren’t just old guy scents. They are classics! And they are really good. If you haven’t tried them, please give them a shot. They are cheap, so not much of a gamble, even if you don’t end up liking them. But those are really what got me started on my AS journey and discovery, and I still enjoy all of them.

As for that tonic..... I’m really curious. I agree, that what everybody calls barbershop has no correlation to what I think of when I think about going to barbershops as a child. For me, the closest I can get is Jeris Hair Tonic. If somebody would make a shave soap scented like that, I’d be in heaven. So, since you said it’s not a typical barbershop scent I’m really curious what it smells like.

Om glad you have a Rockwell headed your way. Of The 3 razors Dave let me try, I enjoyed that (the 6S) the most. I would love to add one to my den!

Nice videos! Keep it up man!
To tell you the truth I think it more of what I associate them with than anything else. When I smell them, I think of my grandpa and since he was a old man to me, I think of old man when I smell what would be "the classics". Which in turns leads to me not liking those scents because of it. Who wants to smell like told man? But who knows, this tonic I would probably put in that category and I really like it. Though my wife said it's not her favorite. She is into more of the designer scents so likely also wouldn't be into the standards. But maybe I'll have to throw an Ice Sport into the cart the next time I see it.

To tell you the truth I think it more of what I associate them with than anything else. When I smell them, I think of my grandpa and since he was a old man to me, I think of old man when I smell what would be "the classics". Which in turns leads to me not liking those scents because of it. Who wants to smell like told man? But who knows, this tonic I would probably put in that category and I really like it. Though my wife said it's not her favorite. She is into more of the designer scents so likely also wouldn't be into the standards. But maybe I'll have to throw an Ice Sport into the cart the next time I see it.

Put it in a Hoity Toity bottle and she won't know the difference when she smells it

The only one I dont like is anything Old Spice like. Barbasol Pacific Rush and AV ice Sport are both really good. And I havent tried Brut in a long long time but I don't remember it having the powdery finish that i dont like in most of the old spice scents ive used.

Really enjoyed this video Dave. Nice just doing a 1st impression scent description and looking forward to your thoughts as you use them.

The TSC Scent I suspect is going to become a big favorite. The scent really works. I agree with you on the Oatmeal Stout. A good oatmeal cookie.

Really enjoyed this video Dave. Nice just doing a 1st impression scent description and looking forward to your thoughts as you use them.
The TSC Scent I suspect is going to become a big favorite. The scent really works. I agree with you on the Oatmeal Stout. A good oatmeal cookie.
Thanks guys. I really hope word of Chris' soaps gets out far and wide because these compete with the big dogs. Well, as long as Chris wants to up the production to support it.

Mostly caught up on your videos. Really enjoying them. Thanks for the shout out and the LSU love!

I do have to say though...if you can be bought with what I sent you...then you are a very cheap date! ?

Mostly caught up on your videos. Really enjoying them. Thanks for the shout out and the LSU love!

I do have to say though...if you can be bought with what I sent you...then you are a very cheap date!
1f60b.png
This is true, I may not be easy, but I'm cheap!

Back