The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2018 shave #235 (DE:76 SE:83 Str:74 Cart:3)
Parker Variant w/ Feather (1)
Sorrentino Sea Foam
A&E Grecian Horse
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Post Shave Balm
A&E Grecian Horse AS

Afternoon shave and the Variant had just arrived. Threw in a Feather because it can be adjusted down. More details in my video. I used it set on 2 1/2 and the blade gap looked pretty decent. Could feel the blade for sure. I thought it was super efficient on the 1st pass, but there was a lot of hair left. I thought about the blade angle again because the blade is clamped down in a bend. Next two passes were removed much more hair at a more aggressive angle, but it ended up being too aggressive for the ATG on the neck. All sorts of alum burn on the next today. But the end result, sweet mother of all dolphin skin, super smooth shaves. This shave rivaled my RX shaves. I’m still touching myself in awe. Good learnings for the 1st shave with this. I’ll have to mess around with turning it down for the neck passes and see how it goes.

Cool, sounds like a promising razor!

Just make sure you put the cap on right always.
Yep, sure do need to remember that. I read about it, then didn’t think about when I put the blade in, but did a quick check before shaving.

Definitely report back on how you like the Variant. I have read that many really like this razor and at little more than half a century cost...that could be a great value.

I was thinking of getting the Variant. But you say it’s aggressive...... And you think the Timeless is mild, yet I found it aggressive. I’m so confused.

I was thinking of getting the Variant. But you say it’s aggressive...... And you think the Timeless is mild, yet I found it aggressive. I’m so confused.
Remember though. I thought the OC plate was too aggressive, not the scallop. I think I should also try a bit more mild blade in the Variant. And the Variant can be cranked down instead of buying another plate. Just a lot of variables out there.

I think Dave is on the absolute right track when it comes to aggressive vs. mild with some of these razors by adjusting the angle of attack. I've done some gentle eyeballing of the Variant, but always pull off of it since I primarily shave with straights. But it will still get a longing glance every now and again....lol.

2018 shave #236 (DE:77 SE:83 Str:74 Cart:3)
Parker Variant w/ Feather (2)
SV 2.0
LNHC Doc Holiday
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Post Shave Balm

This Lisa’s soap did well for me. I was mostly disctracted concentrating on the razor and forgot to think about the soap. So compared to Smoked Black Tea it is a positive. I did get a citrus/herb combo from the tub after leaving it open to air while I showered.

I left the Feather in the Variant and turned it down to 2 for the cheeks and 1 for the neck. There was still a bit of soreness on the neck, but I think it’s left over from yesterday. Again I got a BBS from this bad boy. Not as amazing as yesterday, but one anyone would be happy with. This was a good purchase and I think has enough variation in settings for anyone.

No painting today. I was a bit lazy and my daughter wanted to make us all French toast for breakfast so that causes a later start. School starts back up tomorrow so we went PE shoe shopping today and wandered around the mall a bit. Did some pruning outside to clear the last edges of roof for painting. And while it’s good for the kids to be back to being occupied, I enjoyed not having the daily taxi role for a while. Back we all go!

Sounds like you are getting the hang of the razor...but still need to dial it in a bit. Keep at it...I am sure you will get it...and the French Toast sounds amazing!

Thanks for following along guys. Breakfast as "fine" but the best part was her pride in doing in and wanting no help at all.

2018 shave #237 (DE:78 SE:83 Str:74 Cart:3)
Parker Variant w/ Feather (3)
Chiseled Face Cinnawood Boroka
RazoRock Synth
Nivea Nivea 2 in 1
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Chiseled Face Cinnawood Boroka AS

Today I wanted to see if there was a "mild" shave possible with the Variant. I just set it on 1 and left it. I would have to say, nope. Given the couple of super close shaves, I could use a couple of days of just a mild DFS+ type of shave to recover. I think my conclusions for the Variant for me is this starts as a slightly aggressive and goes up from there. Though, I guess I still do need to try a more mild blade in it. The "1" setting was fine on the cheeks, but it still did not feel what I would classify as mild. There is blade feel no matter what it is set on. The neck was of course, the same ah yesterday. So in hind sight, it was silly to use the same razor on the same setting and think it would be milder on the neck just because I changed the setting for the cheeks.

I use the variant at 3.5 and get great results with an Astra SP

Back