The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Shame on you for not doing more...scratch that...you didn't even do enough. You should have bought all you could...

You failed...you are a failure...no one loves you...and may God have mercy on your soul!

?

2018 shave #231 (DE:71 SE:85 Str:74 Cart:3)
Timeless scalloped w/ Feather (2)
LNHC Smoked Black Tea
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Dior Sauvage

Two positives and a negative in todays' shave.

First, sad to say that the soap to me is a negative. Which bums me out. The performance is good. The lather wasn't as rich and creamy as I would like, but did provide decent cushion and residual slickness. It was the scent that I just couldn't deal with. Both this and the Doc Holiday soap had a similar background scent in the tub. So it makes me curious if there is something in her base that doesn't agree with me. From the Smoked Black Tea, I can definitely get the smoked smell, but it's not a crisp smoky smell, but has some funk or sweetness to it. I couldn't smell any tea. And overall, I get a strong medicinal scent like Vicks. To the point I looked at the ingredients to make sure there wasn't menthol or something in it. I couldn't get past that scent, so won't be using this one again.

I think I have the Timeless dialed in. I was thinking about the angle of the blade and how it's bent quite a bit by the head. So instead of the angle I use for most DEs, I shaved with the head pretty much perpendicular to my face. That's it. That's how it works. BBS with next to no clean up. Good lesson for me when using blades that are bend in the razor. That makes me more hopeful for successfully using my Timeless with the straight bar when it arrives.

Dior Sauvage was the third sample I got one my scent quest on Sunday. I'm really enjoying this one so far. I would relate it to Bleu de Chanel with a little more depth and warmness, but still primarily a spicy scent. This will likely end up on my buy list. I also found a perfumeria in San Francisco I hope to plan a trip to shortly.

*update* this Dior seems like a winner. Almost 3hrs after application and it's still the same scent and hasn't weakened.

Are calling bingo words now?
1f601.png
Trust me, I’ve thought about it...

Bummer about the soap scent, at least it helped facilitate a great shave though!

Glad the frag is a winner!

That scent was a bummer for me too. Used it in todays video. I didn't get any Vick's type scent. Nothing that bright at all. It was flat, just like the Doc Holiday. It's pleasant, but it's just too weak, and to me is just missing something. I thought I smelled Tea, maybe I'm smelling something else, but at least I do have the impression of tea. All the citrus notes are lost on me though, just like in the DH.

2018 shave #232 (DE:72 SE:85 Str:74 Cart:3)
Timeless scalloped w/ Feather (3)
Strop Shoppe Russian Tea
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Post Shave Balm
B&M Cheshire AS

I do love a good tea scent, so I wanted to redeem after yesterday and went to the gold standard itself. Mmmmmm. Smelling this is the shaving equivalent of that first sip of a warm beverage in the morning. Another dialed in shave from the Timeless with next to no clean-up. One thought though. While I can get great shaves from this now, and I'd certainly love having this to use, I would prefer it be a touch more aggressive so there is the choice there to push it or hold back.

My Timeless has shipped, so should be able to try the solid bar soon and send this guy back to his owner.

Geez a long read but all caught up. Enjoyed it. Great stuff and sad to see Penhaligons go.

2018 shave #233 (DE:72 SE:86 Str:74 Cart:3)
Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Feather Proguard (5)
Sorrentino TSC Legacy
GTB
Alum
Witch Hazel
Nivea Post Shave Balm
GTB AS
GTB EdP

Had the The Doctor make a house call today for a back to home type of shave. I called an audible because I had another soap all lined up. But then I thought "I haven't don't a GTB shave since I put that GTB bath bar in the shower". So that's what we needed. Awesome razor, awesome soap, awesome shave. A bit more alum burn on the neck that with the Timeless, but I am smooooooooth. Ain't no party like an RX party, heeeeeeey.

Took my daughter for a gymnastic evaluation yesterday. All our kids were in gymnastics years ago, but they were a bit too unmotivated to care about learning the proper way to do things and just wanted to be able to goof around with the basics. My daughter has been asking to go back for a while now and practicing on her own on a mat she got for Christmas. So we'll give it another shot.

Back