The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Cvargo said:
Nice stuff today Dave.

As to the encounter it all sounds like it was handled appropiately, aside from the fact that after the official issued the first technical he should have switched spots on the court with his partner. That way his partner could have given the second technical. It looks better if the technicals aren't coming from the same official.

A second technical the coach should have been required to leave the gym. I did an AAU game about a month and a half back, partner issues a technical to the coach, we switch spots and while taking the free throws I am standing near that coach and he continues to berate us, so I gave him his second. He wouldn't leave the gym. So my partner and I went and took our seats. We were in a delay until security removed the coach. Took about 15 min. Last thing you want to do at these games is let the coaches, fans, or players think they can control the game. That is our job!

As to more sports stories, I am still nursing my injury but I did run yesterday at the gym and while I was a little sore I felt better. I will be working a 7 0n 7 QBS league starting end of next month, and there are two big basketball tournaments one in May and one In June. Then end of July I switch gears 100% to football. So the stories will start coming in again.

I did think they were supposed to have him leave, but maybe they didn't because this type of thing usually doesn't happen at this level? Or it was the 4th quarter of the last game? Dunno.

Good to hear you're back into it.

I'm glad you are sleeping better with the CPAP. Certainly has done a lot for my mid-afternoon crashing.

Quijote said:
Great shave and read. I'm glad she had a great last game.

Thank you. It's awesome when those moments of parent pride sneak up on you

2018 shave #88 (DE:11 SE:31 Str:46 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (3)
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Custom Shawshank Redemption brush
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
V's Barbershop Tonic

*Ding* *Ding* Straight shave round #46. Let's get it on!

This one turned out to be my best straight shave yet. I incorporated several changes that made a difference.

I think what I mentioned before about making my angle steeper without seeing it was true. I really concentrated on that today. I kept checking my angle and if anything adjusting to too shallow then coming back to correct. As a result I had no alum sting on the cheeks and very minimal on my neck. Better than some DE shaves.

Then, with my RX shave yesterday, I was thinking I'm using the same blade in the RX and the SS so in theory, if it's moved in the same directions at the same angle, I should have the same results? Right?? So I paid a bit more attention to what I was actually doing during my RX shave. I realized with the RX I'm so comfortable I'm taking a lot more strokes per pass than I do with the SS. I'll do a lot of short strokes to remove most of the hair in that direction, then cover the area again in strokes that go half the total distance of the pass, then end with strokes that cover the whole length of the pass. Of course, all with the weight of a feather. With the SS I was making probably 1/4 of the strokes. So I tried to better duplicate the RX strokes. This resulted in a very nice cheeks BBS without any clean-up at all.

Lastly is the @(#$*)@*$# neck. In describing what passes I take to solved my neck problems with a DE/SE to a new member of the B&B journals, it made me look at what I was doing with the straight again. I really needed to figure out how to get my last pass that is N-S to get some forward angle to it. This resulted in what I would like to call the No Look 30 Degree Double Chin pass. Or as Dave would put it, the NL3DDC. I have the razor unfolded into a straight line, have the scales pointed up to the ceiling, and my arm bent up around in fron
t of my face. This results in not being able to see a thing related to my neck or the razor, but I was able to get a vertically downward pass that's slightly angled forward. All I know is without all the straight shaves under my belt this no-lookie cross your fingers thing would not have been possible.

Long story short, I thought this would be it. Finally a total straight BBS with no clean-up. Nope, just the slightest of whiskers left for a DFS+. But, upon dry down and another check at work, I'm BBS now. So it all depends on when the official grade of BBS is made. But getting this close without alum sting was many steps forward.

And briefly, my soap choice was made because I remembered this tonic and wanted to use it. To me it just smells like a man that shaved. Not the complex, rich scents that are my favorite to experience through the day. This one just tells people, I'm a man, and that's right, I just had an awesome shave.

Sounds like you might have figured something out here. Now duplicate it again tomorrow. Come to think of it I do short strokes with the feather also, like I do all my razors. I think that is a common problem we all go through. I want one long satisfying stroke. Well you can do that, but it will require more clean up.

Cvargo said:
Sounds like you might have figured something out here. Now duplicate it again tomorrow. Come to think of it I do short strokes with the feather also, like I do all my razors. I think that is a common problem we all go through. I want one long satisfying stroke. Well you can do that, but it will require more clean up.

Do you follow all the shore strokes with one or two long ones. Kinda of like an in the moment clean-up?

Great read Dave, and great job on the shave! I typically will do something similar with the straight, using short strokes followed by longer ones. The hair on my neck grows ESE for the most part, so ATG on my neck with a straight is not extremely comfortable, so I typically just opt for a safety razor instead.

NurseDave said:
Do you follow all the shore strokes with one or two long ones. Kinda of like an in the moment clean-up?

I do that when I go XTG.

Dagwoodz said:
Great read Dave, and great job on the shave! I typically will do something similar with the straight, using short strokes followed by longer ones. The hair on my neck grows ESE for the most part, so ATG on my neck with a straight is not extremely comfortable, so I typically just opt for a safety razor instead.
DocHoliday0831 said:
Nice shave Dave. glad the SS is coming around for you

Thanks guys, not all hope is lost!

Great work Dave! I am headed back to the Den reminded to do more short strokes! I do love my long passes though!

2018 shave #89 (DE:11 SE:31 Str:47 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (4)
GTB
Plisson synthetic in 24mm Shave Revolution handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
GTB AS
GTB EdP

Happy GTB Friday my brothers of the blade!!

Decided to pull out the ole Captain's Choice bowl for old-time's sake. I haven't used this since I got my copper mug. Mosly because the mug won't fit in my drawer so it's just out and ready to use.

I was torn between getting a nice RX shave and not tempting fate with riding my SS success or seeing if I can duplicate it. I manned up, and went for it. First two passes went as usual, though now I'm getting some super close BBS on the cheeks with all the stretching and extra strokes. I'm going go to say it's all their fault, but I did have a weeper on my neck in the 2nd pass, and noticed that Rich's safety cats were no where around. Luckily that cleared itself up prior to the last pass.

Pass #3 as mind blowing and progress producing as yesterday. I know I wasn't using the exact same angle, because my arm at no point was directly in front of my eyes. I did get some forward direction to my downward strokes, but I just couldn't figure out what the heck I had done yesterday. DFS+ in the end. Better than last week, but still have a few errant hairs. Not patches, more like one here, one there.

In even better news, this is my last day of work for a week! Wife and I will be off to Maui on Sunday for 5 days. No space limitations really, so I'll be bringing any little shaving thing I want to use. Looking forward to relaxed
, late morning shaves next week!

Also, a few weeks ago I was taking a wine certification class. My test came back and I passed with Merit! Super happy because the test was much harder than the practice tests we could use. I am now WSET Level 2 certified.

Well color me jealous! The wife and I are trying to plan a Hawaiian Cruise for for 10 year anniversary.

Cvargo said:
Well color me jealous! The wife and I are trying to plan a Hawaiian Cruise for for 10 year anniversary.

Nice plan! I love cruising. The warm winds, the unobstructed sunrises and sunsets. Watching the water pass by, the wake of the ship. Sigh...

NurseDave said:
Nice plan! I love cruising. The warm winds, the unobstructed sunrises and sunsets. Watching the water pass by, the wake of the ship. Sigh...

We love to cruise. In my opinion the best way to vacation.

Back