The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Don’t you that’s it when you forget to pack your gas mask?

Bummer the Lake is a no go, that’s probably a bit disappointing. Hope the day perks up in other ways!
Getting caught back up, good shaves and reads. One of these days we’ll have to vacation a little farther East.
Shame on the lake but if you can't enjoy it as it should be, it's not worth it. Safe travels
Bummer about the change of plans, but sounds good anyway!

Great shave!
It was a bummer, but we did get another meal together with my parents and the kids got to sleep a little more. It ended up being the right choice as things got pretty smoky where we stopped.

2018 shave #222 (DE:64 SE:85 Str:74 Cart:2)
Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (4)
RazoRock Synth
Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave Balm

Quick hotel shave for DFS. Tomorrow I get all my soaps back!!!!

Had a fun dinner with someone that lead a group my wife was in during high school. Her husband was Grand Master of Oregon for the Masons. We talked about that for a while and I’m pretty interested in looking into joining. I’ll have to choose a lodge to look into.

Her husband was Grand Master of Oregon for the Masons. We talked about that for a while and I’m pretty interested in looking into joining. I’ll have to choose a lodge to look into.
If you have any questions let me know. I’ve been a mason for 5 years and am next in line to be Master of my Lodge this Fall.

2018 shave #223 (DE:65 SE:85 Str:74 Cart:2)
Parker 76R w/ Israeli Personna (1)
Plisson knot in Shave Revolution handle
Shave Master Toivo
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Missoni

Aaaaah, yes good to be home. Get to choose a razor, choose a blade, choose a brush, choose a soap, choose a scent. I shall expand my travel kit next time for sure. There is NO reason to have to use the same soap twice in a week. What would all the other girls say???

So I label this soap the worst smelling soap that I love. To me, this smells exactly, EXACTLY like a smoky camp fire. Picture yourself if you will emerging from a dew covered tent to the smell of a smoldering fire from the night before. The gentle stream of smoke being held to the earth by a cool morning fog. You can smell the grey ash and the memory of last night's smores is still fresh in your head. That is this soap. With a SOS of 6 out of 5. You can smell this stuff from across the room if the puck is out. So I certainly don't want to be smelling like this when I leave the house, but oh do I love that smell so much. Took me some time to get this soap as I only found two places to order it. One was out and one had more shipping costs than I wanted to pay. Finally just bit the bullet and paid for shipping.

This an above average soap, but I don't know if I'd buy it for the performance yet. It's a hard soap that I used by flaking some off and pressing onto my bowl. I might just have to bite the bullet and bloom and load from the puck. I was distracted thinking about the smell and didn't really think about the cushion. It did take a lot of water to get the lather past the fluffy stage and it didn't get as creamy as I like. The residual slickness was better than average though.

Great stuff Dave! I tested a Shave Master soap a while back and remembered that I really liked the scent.

Campfire is a great scent if done well. Outlaw Soaps makes a beard oil in a scent that is just awesome. It evokes memories of a cozy fire in the snow with marshmallow ...more than fire and smoke, maybe a little cedar and a touch of roasted marshmallow. I just love the scent.

....There is NO reason to have to use the same soap twice in a week....

I nominate this as "quote of the year" thus far!
1f44d.png
1f60e.png

Campfire is a great scent if done well. Outlaw Soaps makes a beard oil in a scent that is just awesome. It evokes memories of a cozy fire in the snow with marshmallow ...more than fire and smoke, maybe a little cedar and a touch of roasted marshmallow. I just love the scent.
Well I don’t use beard oil, but that sounds awesome!

Campfire shave soap no thanks!

Good luck on joining the Masons. I know being a member of the Knights of Columbus has been fantastic. I love the brotherhood and camaraderie that it encourages.

Campfire shave soap no thanks!

Good luck on joining the Masons. I know being a member of the Knights of Columbus has been fantastic. I love the brotherhood and camaraderie that it encourages.
Think of it as roasting tumbleweeds. ? Actually, I wouldn't think it would be pleasant at all either just hearing about it.

Thanks, KJ pointed me in a good direction and I'm taking the first steps to find a good fit.

2018 shave #224 (DE:66 SE:85 Str:74 Cart:2)
Parker 76R w/ Israeli Personna (2)
Spazzola di Sorrentino TSC Legacy
Scheermonnik Soek
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Nameless by Mark Buxton

I picked this shave backwards. I mentioned in the scents thread I'm listening to a book about making of perfumes and it got me thinking. I have some scents I haven't used in a while that I love, so I decided to use Nameless today. From there I picked the soap and then the brush that matches a decadent shave. Good stuff today with a nice mild shave ended in DFS+. And I smell like rich, warm amber and baking spices. Very dark and grey outside with the fog super low this morning and some overnight rain. This is my work version of sitting by the fire place on a dreary day.

Back home it's been three weeks since I was able to get any painting done on the house. Now I'm at the mercy of the weather. Was a little too moist in the air when I got home yesterday. Hoping this weekend in nice and I can at least finish off most, if not all of the areas visible from the street. Also happy this morning I made a good soap score on Facebook that I hope to share with some of you in the future.

Great shave Dave! Looking forward to seeing the score.

I’m glad you kept some Scheermonnik around! Great soap!

Back