The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Great shave Dave!

Those patients are lucky to have someone like you looking out for them!

Great shave Dave and I agree with Craig. Kudos to you. Had a Full Bronchial Dilator test yesterday and I thanked the guy doing it as you could tell he went out of his way to explain everything so you not only knew what he was doing but also why. Patients know when someone cares and when they don't.

Nice shave. I hope things improve for you at work.
Great shave Dave!

Those patients are lucky to have someone like you looking out for them!
Great shave Dave and I agree with Craig. Kudos to you. Had a Full Bronchial Dilator test yesterday and I thanked the guy doing it as you could tell he went out of his way to explain everything so you not only knew what he was doing but also why. Patients know when someone cares and when they don't.
Thank you guys and that's good to hear Dave. Sometimes people just need a reminder of why they went into healthcare in the first place.

I participated in a lot of those procedures as a circulating nurse. I cannot recall a single instance when the laser didn't pulverize those stones and turn them into sand. Hope you are doing well, Dave.
1f44d.png

2018 shave #210 (DE:62 SE:76 Str:74 Cart:2)
I'm trying to turn down my ticked off meter at work. I got put on a project where some of the key players aren't putting the patients first in their decisions and it's really p***ing me off. I was able to stop myself from scheduling a meeting with the top physician of the hospital, and start a few rungs down. But there is nothing that makes me see red more than when I see patients not coming first in this industry.

Agreed. In my experience, I've found that if I simply keep doing the right thing by my patients it tends to pull others along in that direction. Maybe it sparks some kernel of compassion hidden within. Don't back down or be deterred, Dave, just do the right thing. We are patient advocates, after all.
1f642.png

I'm trying to turn down my ticked off meter at work. I got put on a project where some of the key players aren't putting the patients first in their decisions and it's really p***ing me off. I was able to stop myself from scheduling a meeting with the top physician of the hospital, and start a few rungs down. But there is nothing that makes me see red more than when I see patients not coming first in this industry.
Agreed. In my experience, I've found that if I simply keep doing the right thing by my patients it tends to pull others along in that direction. Maybe it sparks some kernel of compassion hidden within. Don't back down or be deterred, Dave, just do the right thing. We are patient advocates, after all.
1f642.png

Nice to see the Nurse love going strong here! Really though...it's nice to hear this kind of talk about the love of patients. For my PCP I don't actually see a doctor...I see a Nurse Practitioner. She is the only medical professional in all my life that takes the time to actually talk and listen to me. It's not unheard of for her to take 30 to 45 minutes to discuss something with me. We don't always see eye to eye...but she lets me have my say, and then she explains to me why she believes what she prescribed is the best course of action. Sometimes we compromise (both of us)...sometimes I defer to her.

Thanks gents for really keeping patients first!

I participated in a lot of those procedures as a circulating nurse. I cannot recall a single instance when the laser didn't pulverize those stones and turn them into sand. Hope you are doing well, Dave.
1f44d.png
1f642.png
Thank you for the comments. I'm sure you understand, sometimes the battle can get frustrating.

The laser sapped it small enough to pull the chunk out I guess. Stent to come out this afternoon. My plan is to finally get a full night's sleep and feel right as rain tomorrow.

Nice to see the Nurse love going strong here! Really though...it's nice to hear this kind of talk about the love of patients. For my PCP I don't actually see a doctor...I see a Nurse Practitioner. She is the only medical professional in all my life that takes the time to actually talk and listen to me. It's not unheard of for her to take 30 to 45 minutes to discuss something with me. We don't always see eye to eye...but she lets me have my say, and then she explains to me why she believes what she prescribed is the best course of action. Sometimes we compromise (both of us)...sometimes I defer to her.

Thanks gents for really keeping patients first!
That's cool. Good to find and keep those connections. We've already started to teach out kids that you should understand WHY any doctor/nurse/dentist is telling you something is important because you might disagree and it's fair to ask questions. There are certainly gold standards for certain treatments and circumstances and plenty of room for opinion in others.

2018 shave #211 (DE:63 SE:76 Str:74 Cart:2)
Parker 76R w/ Feather (2)
TOBS Jermyn Street
Sorrentino TSC
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave balm
TOBS Jermyn Street EdC

You know why
I chose to use Jermyn Street today? Because it smells friggin' awesome! I put this in the same category as PdP 63, SV 70th, and Nuavia Rossa. Not in terms that they all smell the same. But each of them has a scent that you can't or isn't easy to describe specific notes, but you know they just smell great. I would say Jermyn Street is sweeter than 63 or 70th, more like Rossa, but without the peppery note of Rossa. Other than that, I really can't say what it smells like and only suggest you try it if you haven't. As always, to each their own, but I still can't imagine you poor folks 3017ing something. Lathering up a soap that hasn't been used in weeks or months that reminds you just how great it is, is really the highlight of the morning.

I also see my DE shaves this year are creeping up to the same numbers as SE and straight. I'll have to do something about that, but won't get back into straight stuff until we're back from our trip. Good shave though. No clean up and dried down to a basic BBS.

As mentioned above, my stent comes out this afternoon. Took me 6 days to kind of get used to it. Think I'll do without any pain meds today, and yesterday I was actually able to go hours without a bathroom break. My hope is that the several nightly trips will end now. Been several weeks since I've gotten a full night's sleep and I was struggling to stay away in a meeting yesterday with only 5 people including my boss.

But for now, I'll have my coffee and wait for one of you guys to post a video.

Great shave Dave!

I like the Jermyn Street scent!

Sounds like you are feeling better and things are progressing as they should.
Great to hear!

Getting close to the big vacation day, I hope when the stints come out you really do feel right as rain.

Regarding your patient first issues, I am all too familiar. My mom was a nurse and she didn't put up with the BS, regardless of who was dishing it. I recall several occasions where she went straight to the top of the ladder and raised hell, they were so surprised by her barging in (no phone calls) they never forgot her. In fact, as I recall they became some of her greatest supporters. A little funny story if you don't mind...
My mom had recently (within a year anyway) had a ovariohysterectomy which of course resulted in the classic hot flashes. She also developed a lymph node issue that presented itself as potentially cancerous, so she began making plans to have the node(s) removed. Her "lady parts doc...LPD" was hesitant to start her on hormone therapy to treat the hot flashes until after the surgery and the surgeon wasn't in a hurry to do the surgery so my mom was rather cranky. She and the docs were friends but that didn't seem to sway them. One day while having lunch with the both of them (I think she planned it this way) she had a hot flash. Both docs noticed her fanning herself as the hot flash progressed but did their best to change the subject. Finally she had had enough and reached over and grabbed the LPD by the man parts and made a demand "give me the !@#$ drugs...NOW). Both the surgeon (who was a small man) and the LPD (who was NOT a small man) turned white, the LPD turned other colors too. My mom did not release her grip until the prescription pad came out. Then she turned to the surgeon, who had retreated a safe distance but was still white as a sheet, and said "you WILL do the surgery".

About 12 years later I began working at the same hospital and I would frequently pass them in the halls or have reason to deal with them. The respect they had for my mom was deep and they made sure to ensure I was given the proper respect too.

I am sure you have some incredible stories to tell, I hope to see them in writing some time. Some of my mom's stories made there way into a book compiled by another nurse who knew you guys have the best stories to tell. If i can find that book I'll share a few.

Getting close to the big vacation day, I hope when the stints come out you really do feel right as rain.

Regarding your patient first issues, I am all too familiar. My mom was a nurse and she didn't put up with the BS, regardless of who was dishing it. I recall several occasions where she went straight to the top of the ladder and raised hell, they were so surprised by her barging in (no phone calls) they never forgot her. In fact, as I recall they became some of her greatest supporters. A little funny story if you don't mind...
My mom had recently (within a year anyway) had a ovariohysterectomy which of course resulted in the classic hot flashes. She also developed a lymph node issue that presented itself as potentially cancerous, so she began making plans to have the node(s) removed. Her "lady parts doc...LPD" was hesitant to start her on hormone therapy to treat the hot flashes until after the surgery and the surgeon wasn't in a hurry to do the surgery so my mom was rather cranky. She and the docs were friends but that didn't seem to sway them. One day while having lunch with the both of them (I think she planned it this way) she had a hot flash. Both docs noticed her fanning herself as the hot flash progressed but did their best to change the subject. Finally she had had enough and reached over and grabbed the LPD by the man parts and made a demand "give me the !@#$ drugs...NOW). Both the surgeon (who was a small man) and the LPD (who was NOT a small man) turned white, the LPD turned other colors too. My mom did not release her grip until the prescription pad came out. Then she turned to the surgeon, who had retreated a safe distance but was still white as a sheet, and said "you WILL do the surgery".

About 12 years later I began working at the same hospital and I would frequently pass them in the halls or have reason to deal with them. The respect they had for my mom was deep and they made sure to ensure I was given the proper respect too.

I am sure you have some incredible stories to tell, I hope to see them in writing some time. Some of my mom's stories made there way into a book compiled by another nurse who knew you guys have the best stories to tell. If i can find that book I'll share a few.

THAT...IS...AWESOME!!! One of the best stories I have ever heard!

Back