The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Good to hear you are on the road to a fast recovery ...sort of. Hope things keep getting better.

A shower and a shave makes everyone feel better.

I know you are on the mend but you will still be in my thoughts. Everything should go great...but I want my favorite Californian Nurse to get back to his good old self. I have always wondered about SdP soaps. They have some wonderful description of soaps!
Woohoo, I'm #1! I've been thinking I should get some sample containers so I can send off samples like some of you guys. Make sure to remind me if you want to try some of them when I post I've finally done that.

Glad to hear the procedure went as planned. And nice quick shave also.

Woohoo, I'm #1! I've been thinking I should get some sample containers so I can send off samples like some of you guys. Make sure to remind me if you want to try some of them when I post I've finally done that.

You misread...I said my favorite in California...
1f61c.png

I have been in the habit of pulling of 3 to 5 samples when I first get a soap. I realized that I will never be able to finish all these soaps on my own...so why not send some off. The containers can be had for relatively in expensive. I bought a pack of 40 eye makeup containers, which are about the same size that we get our samples of soaps in from the different vendors, from Amazon for about a sawbuck. I feel this way others can try and if they like can buy.

You misread...I said my favorite in California...
1f61c.png

I have been in the habit of pulling of 3 to 5 samples when I first get a soap. I realized that I will never be able to finish all these soaps on my own...so why not send some off. The containers can be had for relatively in expensive. I bought a pack of 40 eye makeup containers, which are about the same size that we get our samples of soaps in from the different vendors, from Amazon for about a sawbuck. I feel this way others can try and if they like can buy.

Good idea Don. I'll need to get some too.

I bought a pack of 40 eye makeup containers, which are about the same size that we get our samples of soaps in from the different vendors, from Amazon for about a sawbuck. I feel this way others can try and if they like can buy.
Happen to know what size you got? 3ml? 5ml?

I dunno about a sawbuck, but those are almost $10. ?

Ok, I'll order some of those and a label maker and spread the love. Just wish the post office didn't bend me over every time I mail anything off there.

I dunno about a sawbuck, but those are almost $10.
1f609.png

Ok, I'll order some of those and a label maker and spread the love. Just wish the post office didn't bend me over every time I mail anything off there.

Yeah...I haven't figured out the post office thing either. I have noticed though...that I put a sample in a smallish padded envelope and send it first class (which I guess you can only do now if it is an envelope) it seems to get to its destination the same time as priority. So if I am sending just a sample or two...that is how I send them...and it usually just a couple of bucks. If there is a cheaper way to do it...I am all ears!

Some folks literally ziplock a small sliver and send it in a letter envelope I’ve seen. I guess that’s the cheapest way. Not many shaves to be had off the sample though.

Yesterday’s shave

2018 shave #207 (DE:59 SE:76 Str:74 Cart:2)
iKon X3 slant w/ Israeli Personna (1)
Sapone Di Paolo Bosco (cedar, vetiver & sweetgrass)
Plisson 24mm knot in Shave Revolution handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave balm

Missed another shave. I think everything caught up with me Friday and I took three naps and didn’t make it to the shower. We’re leaving for vacation this coming Friday, so I’ve been trying to keep working from home through all this to avoid more time off. This might be the end of my run for 365 shaves this year.

Yesterday I pulled out a little used razor and a new soap. The Bosco scent isn’t impressive to me. It’s not bad, but very light and sub
tle. I maybe get the sweetgrass, but mostly just a weak soapy scent. The iKon was similar to the open comb performance to me. First two passes were fine and a little aggressive on the 3rd pass. Reading old journal entries for the iKon, that wasn’t an issue in the past. So I’m wondering if I’m just distracted enough with the shaves lately to cause a little irritation.

Yesterday I was able to drug myself up enough to get out with my wife to look for cars. Ended up coming home with one so that solves the problem of what to do being down one car. Probably pushed things a little far and will be relying on the naps again today.

Back