The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Uh oh she's on to ya! For awhile Dave and Chris where 4 letter words at my house... hey they are 4 letters.

Now it's Josh... also 4 letters... I think I am figuring this out!

Anyways my wife says... so what is Josh convincing you to buy now? Although every shipment she still asks... what is Chris sending you now?

Uh oh she's on to ya! For awhile Dave and Chris where 4 letter words at my house... hey they are 4 letters.

Now it's Josh... also 4 letters... I think I am figuring this out!

Anyways my wife says... so what is Josh convincing you to buy now? Although every shipment she still asks... what is Chris sending you now?
Got it, so I should just say "But Josh has this soap and I didn't."

2018 shave #195 (DE:51 SE:71 Str:74 Cart:2)
Parker 76R w/ Wilkinson Sword (2)
Storybook Soapworks Shaken
RazoRock synth
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave balm

I dunno where this soap came from, but I fo
und it in my drawer this morning. Thought I'd give it a shot. As I do, I don't look at the scent description before using a new soap so that I can see how I like it without trying to smell something I'm told to. Now reading the description I can say the gunpowder and tobacco were totally lost on me. To me it smelled like a flat gin drink. What do I mean by flat? Well you know when you drink a soda that has lost all its carbonation and you're left with a muted flavor of the base notes? This is like an alcoholic gin drink that lost its alcohol and you're getting the muted base scent of the drink. Which, to me, is much better that way. I'm not a gin person, so I wouldn't like the sharp sent of fresh gin. This isn't bad. I was also getting an odd metallic note and a little powdery back end. Maybe the gunpowder was coming across as metallic to me? Either way, the scent was smooth enough that it was enjoyable, but it also didn't hit any high notes of me that would make me want to buy it. And like all other Storybook soaps, this was a rockstar performer with nice thick creamy lather. Whoever ends up with this sample after me will appreciate at least that aspect.

Shave itself, easy, mellow and simple. I forgot a scent at the end though.

I totally get what you're saying about the sent of "Shaken"! Yes, muted juniper and a metallic note.

Good description of the scent Dave, and nothing wrong with an easy mellow and simple shave!
I totally get what you're saying about the sent of "Shaken"! Yes, muted juniper and a metallic note.
Really great description on the soap Dave!
A very good description of that scent. Almost too good.....
Hey, thanks guys. Maybe those wine classes have a use in this hobby as well!

2018 shave #196 (DE:51 SE:72 Str:74 Cart:2)
Asylum "The Doctor" RX
SV 70th
SV 2.0
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave balm
SV 70th AS

Well, the weather gods were against me getting out and painting right away this morning. So I treated myself to a relaxing and top notch shave with some of the best soap, AS and razor out there. I really should take the time to soak this brush more often and use it for other than SV soaps which is what I tent to do. Nice and thick and soft on the face. And there is nothing that is like the 70th soap. I'm going to enjoying smelling like this for a while.

Hope all your weekends are enjoyable and I hope to get out to hard labor soon.

Catching up Dave, again!

Great reads and shaves!

Good review on the Shaken!

I've been thinking of putting some tubs that I have in the closest under the bed, Not like I'm hiding them, just afraid to add a 4th one to the stack.
1f60f.png
1f640.png
1f609.png

I agree with ya’ll, hard labor sucks. I did get out yesterday for about 5 hours of painting. I’m starting to wonder what yahoo decided we needed to paint the house.

2018 shave #197 (DE:51 SE:73 Str:74 Cart:2)
Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Proguard (5)
Nuavia Rossa
TSC brush
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea Post Shave balm

Repeat of another day painting and then afternoon shave. Had some unnecessary drama and stress today, so reached for one of those over the top good scents to wallow in. Man that Rossa is good stuff

Back