The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Is that because you’re too polite to tax us ?
Booze and tobacco taxes are great streams of revenue for our various levels of government. I would day-trip to Buffalo and Pennsylvania and pick up a gigantic bottle of vodka for ~$30 US (~40 CAD then). No duty-free execption on day trips and customs would pull me over (never lie about alcohol and tobacco to customs) and then assess duty, which would be around $20. They would ask why I bought it knowing that I would pay duty. I would say because it costs over $100 at the Ontario liquor store (whicy they knew of course). So basically, it was 1/2-price as I paid the federal import duty but not the provincial markup and taxes.

2021 shave #354 (DE:121 SE:102 Str:132 Cart:11) - 1246 days of consecutive shaving
Psycho w/ Wizamet (3)
Storybook Soapworks Midnight Embers
Maggard synth
Nivea 2:1
Thayers Lemon Professional
Storybook Soapworks Midnight Embers AS

Well jeez, if they are going to let the riff-raff like @BarberDave into the Essence club, I'm out! Kidding!! But I figured I'd reach in the drawer for something different today. Change it up. Spice things up. As with many, I'm sure, today starts a shortened workweek. My colleague is out all this week, so I'm working the 4 days. As much work as there will be. Most meetings canceled. So the ongoing stuff keeps happening, but the load is pretty light. Today my goals are walking to Costco to return with many eggs and a few tri-tip so my wife doesn't have to deal with driving and trying to park there. And I plan to start my review of @Scuttlesoap Brian's SOTD posts to start my list of soaps I need. This can lead to nothing positive, but I seem somehow drawn to the task.

Loving this soap and scent today. The sweet notes I seem to remember have backed off with age and the smoke is pushing through more now. It's all good to me. Always saddened by the closure of this company.
D809CBF9-8863-428F-AC30-E3205BA5789C.jpeg

2021 shave #354 (DE:121 SE:102 Str:132 Cart:11) - 1246 days of consecutive shaving
Psycho w/ Wizamet (3)
Storybook Soapworks Midnight Embers
Maggard synth
Thayers Lemon Professional
Storybook Soapworks Midnight Embers AS

Well jeez, if they are going to let the Elite Professionals like @BarberDave into the Essence club, I’m honored to be in the company of such Greatness HUZZAH! But I figured I'd reach in the drawer for something different today. Change it up. Spice things up. As with many, I'm sure, today starts a shortened workweek. My colleague is out all this week, so I'm working the 4 days. As much work as there will be. Most meetings canceled. So the ongoing stuff keeps happening, but the load is pretty light. Today my goals are walking to Costco to return with many eggs and a few tri-tip so my wife doesn't have to deal with driving and trying to park there. And I plan to start my review of @Scuttlesoap Brian's SOTD posts to start my list of soaps I need. This can lead to nothing positive, but I seem somehow drawn to the task.

Loving this soap and scent today. The sweet notes I seem to remember have backed off with age and the smoke is pushing through more now. It's all good to me. Always saddened by the closure of this company.
View attachment 70706
FTFY, as I am sure a TIA must have hit you🤪🤪

Mother friggin' of!!! My journal. My soapbox.

So in my last video, I mentioned two events attended by fully vaxxed people that turned into spreader events. And a contractor that was coming into our house with the attitude that if he spreads COVID it's not a big deal because we're all vaccinated. This was before two of our kids were going to travel internationally potentially to be stuck there if they turn positive.

Then I find out a bunch of staff at a local hospital decided to have a holiday get-together. Yep, there's a ton of nurses out because they are positive now. Putting a hurting on staffing. But hey, they were all vaccinated so they should be able to do what they want, right?

I saw a good post this weekend. Something to the effect of when you see live organ transplants, elective surgeries, and preventative care being canceled, tell me again how your choice to not wear a mask only affects you. Disrupting travel, someone's employment. Staffing in hospitals, the supply chain, and for the love of all the scotch transportation industry! With the new variant, people may not be being admitted to the hospital at similar rates, but in sheer numbers, they are getting up there again. And even if a person isn't admitted, this whole crap show of a pandemic is still affecting lives in a major way. I wish everyone could just think of people other than themselves and the larger impact of this problem on the whole world when making decisions that are truly just a small inconvenience.

2021 shave #355 (DE:121 SE:103 Str:132 Cart:11) - 1247 days of consecutive shaving
Blackland Vector w/ Schick Proline (3)
Oz Winter
Paladin Vintage Port Cleo
Thayers Lavender
Maison Margiela Replica Jazz Club

One more little variation before I likely get back to the shavettes. Honestly, that's where I have the most fun shaving. This Vector is a good little razor for people not secure enough in their manhood to use the Occam OREN :D

Kind of a bummer for our guests, the rains start this afternoon and continue all the way through the weekend with temps in the 40-50s. I was hoping we might get a little California sun and 60 degree weather for them.
458F9A65-0658-48D6-A7C0-C65F578A6192.jpeg

Mother friggin' of!!! My journal. My soapbox.

So in my last video, I mentioned two events attended by fully vaxxed people that turned into spreader events. And a contractor that was coming into our house with the attitude that if he spreads COVID it's not a big deal because we're all vaccinated. This was before two of our kids were going to travel internationally potentially to be stuck there if they turn positive.

Then I find out a bunch of staff at a local hospital decided to have a holiday get-together. Yep, there's a ton of nurses out because they are positive now. Putting a hurting on staffing. But hey, they were all vaccinated so they should be able to do what they want, right?

I saw a good post this weekend. Something to the effect of when you see live organ transplants, elective surgeries, and preventative care being canceled, tell me again how your choice to not wear a mask only affects you. Disrupting travel, someone's employment. Staffing in hospitals, the supply chain, and for the love of all the scotch transportation industry! With the new variant, people may not be being admitted to the hospital at similar rates, but in sheer numbers, they are getting up there again. And even if a person isn't admitted, this whole crap show of a pandemic is still affecting lives in a major way. I wish everyone could just think of people other than themselves and the larger impact of this problem on the whole world when making decisions that are truly just a small inconvenience.
I can’t imagine the stress on the staff remaining

Yea, I don’t think we’re gonna get the rain we were hoping for…but I’ll take reindeer spit at this point. Bummer it had to be Christmas week though!

Back