The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Funny, not funny story of my preceptor watching with saucer eyes while I was giving like 0.5mg of morphine to a wee one right after working in a burn unit where we commonly would give repeated doses of 10mg during a dressing change.
I picked up shifts in the burn unit when they were short-staffed. The first time I was getting meds for a walky talky man in his 20s, I questioned a Percocet order (this was in the '90s). One of the staff laughed and assured me the order was correct. We passed Percs like they were Skittles.

2021 shave #293 (DE:107 SE:87 Str:99 Cart:0) - 1184 days of consecutive shaving
Russian plastic DE w/ Voskhod (1)
Russian shaving cream
Stirling synth
Alum
Thayers Lemon (professional)
Nivea 2:1
Dior Sauvage

No picture today because today's shave is exactly the same as yesterday except for the scent at the end. I forgot to grab my new razor when I went downstairs and figured what the heck I'll just do it over. Used a little less cream this time and put it on the brush instead of my face. I'm sure I could still use less than I did because the lather was pretty creamy still and I could have spent more time working it with water.

So the other day I'm laying on the couch and see this strand of something on the floor and pick it up. At first look, it feels like wire and I wonder where a single strand of wire could come from, and why would it be white. Duh, beard hair. First time I've seen a whole one out since it's been this long. And there, to beat the dead horse, I saw proof of how tough some hairs can be and why blades last for different times on different faces.

Sad day for Sam, though I'm glad he's going to Ed's memorial. In a small way, it at least makes me feel as though the cadre is there in support.

2021 shave #294 (DE:107 SE:87 Str:100 Cart:0) - 1185 days of consecutive shaving
Tedalus Essence w/ Feather Proguard (1)
SV Desert Vetiver
Wolf Whiskers
Alum
SV Desert Vetiver AS

Video posted (whew, that took hours on cellular data)

That Tedalus is a sexy looking beast, no doubt about it. I love how it can handle AC blades, Injector blades, and 1/2-DE blades without needing any adapters. The cost is the only thing preventing me from grabbing one as I always have my eye open (passive search mode for you D&Ders ;)) for an injector shavette that isn't a "slide-in insert" like the Monsieur Charles one.

2021 shave #294 (DE:107 SE:87 Str:100 Cart:0) - 1185 days of consecutive shaving
Tedalus Essence w/ Feather Proguard (1)
SV Desert Vetiver
Wolf Whiskers
Alum
SV Desert Vetiver AS

Video posted (whew, that took hours on cellular data)
Love your software, Dave!
The Desert Vetiver has become a favourite. What an awesome scent. I have put Felce Arom., Cubebe and this DV on an SV pedestal...what a great trio!

2021 shave #296 (DE:107 SE:87 Str:102 Cart:0) - 1186 days of consecutive shaving
Tedalus Essence w/ Feather Proguard (3)
Mammoth Almond Leather
Sorrentino Blonde Vixen
Alum
Prorasso Mint and Rosemary talc
Zoologist Camel

Sunny morning in the middle of storms so getting a breakfast on the deck. Back is a bit rough this morning after having to sit still for 2 hours at a concert last night. Went and saw Branford Marsalis at SF Jazz. @August West mentioned it being an intimate venue and it sure is. I posted a pic from where we were and my knee was against the stage. Only 4 rows on this side. Main area is maybe 25 rows? And there is even a row above and behind the stage. I like the kind of jazz my parents refer to as elevator music, so this was a bit hard to get into at times. But my wife likes it and her birthday is tomorrow. Their skill was very obvious regardless of a song lasting for 20min and sometimes seeming like they weren’t playing from the same page. The piano player was amazing with his legs moving faster than his hands and the watching the stand-up bass player keeping up with him and percussion was something else.

I’ve been needing to get into the city for some pick-ups. The plan was for the oldest to drive me tomorrow because our deal is she can’t drive in the city by herself until she goes with one of us. But with the storms coming in I’m thinking that’s not the best first experience. So stay tuned for new acquisitions.
6E9CBAB3-85AF-40BE-924A-1B3996250226.jpeg

An early happy birthday to the missus! Glad you at least had a passable time at the performance 👍

Did you ever figure out what part of the Tedalus was hitting something?

Did you ever figure out what part of the Tedalus was hitting something?
Yes, there actually is part of the blade that hits the stop when closed. Which I find surprising since the engineering is so high quality. I assume the thought it since it’s a hard plastic it’s hitting and not metal that it doesn’t effect the blade?

I wouldn’t be too sure about that! Even plastic could mess up the fine edge on a blade.

Maybe Bill has a suggestion?
The 2 shortcomings on the piece.

1) Cost
Solution, don’t buy or… count how many straights (or other) you spent those kind of bucks on and rationalize it.

2) A loaded blade will bump against the crossbar in the one piece aluminum scales.

The designer is aware of this, future unknown. The monkey tail length design limited where the support in the scales could be. It is also part of the design that is to be used for the not yet marketed stand.

While a guard type blade may resist damage, I don’t think an unguarded blade would. I don’t bump it closed.

Once you get the hang of the blade holding mechanism, disassembly is quick and easy.

My solution, don’t close it tight with a blade loaded and/or disassemble and dry/store every time. It is a trade off I accept in exchange for all of the design features I do like.

Others should be aware of it in case it is a deal breaker.

Back