The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Update. Doc ordered an X-ray to start with possible MRI. But when the pain subsides I feel silly for even asking for one. I guess since I can’t get it until Monday I still have the weekend to see how it goes.

In other news I took the on-call shifts yesterday and today for someone. It’s a little different with the engineers strike still going on, but they can stop texting to tell me everything is fine.

2021 shave #290 (DE:105 SE:86 Str:99 Cart:0) - 1181 days of consecutive shaving
Blacklands Vector w/ Schick Proline (6)
Central Texas Soaps Mr Pepper
Paladin Vintage Port Cleo
Alum
Thayers Lemon (professional)
Nivea 2:1
Central Texas Soaps Mr Pepper AS

This shave is dedicated to Sam. Why? Because yesterday the shave wasn’t a bit rough and I thought about tossing the blade, but I still should have had one more shave on it and I knew Sam would disapprove of wasting that shave. So my alum sting is in honor of Sam this morning.

Also, cat deets for Sam.
Grace - whined about getting her wet food in the morning. Sniffed it and walked away. Spent most of the day curled up in the top box of the cat tree.
Zoe - came out on the deck to join me for breakfast and spent most of the rest of the morning under the bed.
5FA8D053-4DC8-4B24-B9CA-F6B9E2E23F1E.jpeg

2021 shave #291 (DE:105 SE:87 Str:99 Cart:0) - 1182 days of consecutive shaving
Blacklands Vector w/ Schick Proline (1)
Strop Shoppe Rosemary Mint
Paladin Honey Oscar Noir
Alum
Imaginary Authors Saint Julep

Given the last couple of shaves weren't the most comfortable, I threw in a new blade and gave it another whirl. Guys, the Occam OREN is a superior razor. I'm not taking sides, just stating facts n stuff. Soap was good though. Many of the Strop Shoppe soaps are old enough they have lost a lot of their scent. Not this one, nice and strong still.

Got a back x-ray today. Two hours later have an email from my doc letting me know I have back arthritis. I guess it's from those like 6 ski trips in my youth. Maybe the year of bounce bus seats? Or could be from the wear and tear from playing Call of Duty on the couch. Well, either way, I'm waiting to hear what's next other than an MRI. I can assume the plan will be a general increase in pain medications, leading up to chronic opioid use, addiction, and an end goal of homelessness. But, we'll see what she comes up with. Probably something crazy like diet and exercise. Guess I have some research to do. I'm a pediatric nurse. Had no knowledge of this old people stuff.
28B4452E-4FDC-4BEB-A63E-B3C8DECB1144.jpeg

It is really simple take a kid spine, all pristine and perfect, little rug rats, and add length, cobwebs, scar tissue, bottle caps, nicotine,alcohol, cheeseburgers, pizza, chinese food, bad juvenile life choices, and poor footwear, and we have you . See simple HEHE

Well at least you are getting closer to answers, but x-rays are like 1/100th of the real picture... Push for an MRI! It will save you a ton of frustration... I know of what I speak, considering now with all the metal in my back I have my own Magnetic Field, LOL

I'm confident that even if you wind up homeless. Your OCD will help you stay clean shaven. Thus breaking that stereotype.
iu

I would like to enroll you in some beta testing. Fluffy industries "Geriatric-O-Matic-Back" system. Is in pre production FDA trials.

I'm confident that even if you wind up homeless. Your OCD will help you stay clean shaven. Thus breaking that stereotype.
iu

I would like to enroll you in some beta testing. Fluffy industries "Geriatric-O-Matic-Back" system. Is in pre production FDA trials.
I imagine the real production version will be made out of copper, rivets and weight about 450lbs?

It is really simple take a kid spine, all pristine and perfect, little rug rats, and add length, cobwebs, scar tissue, bottle caps, nicotine,alcohol, cheeseburgers, pizza, chinese food, bad juvenile life choices, and poor footwear, and we have you . See simple HEHE

Well at least you are getting closer to answers, but x-rays are like 1/100th of the real picture... Push for an MRI! It will save you a ton of frustration... I know of what I speak, considering now with all the metal in my back I have my own Magnetic Field, LOL
Ya, she's having me do a screening form for an MRI in case it "doesn't get better". I think I might change docs too. This one was okay as long as the issues were simple and I knew what to tell her I wanted. Now I might need someone that knows stuff.

Ya, she's having me do a screening form for an MRI in case it "doesn't get better". I think I might change docs too. This one was okay as long as the issues were simple and I knew what to tell her I wanted. Now I might need someone that knows stuff.
find a good Neuro, either surgeon or ologist, maybe even an ortho guy, and get as many opinions as you need. No reason to live with this chronically

2021 shave #292 (DE:106 SE:87 Str:99 Cart:0) - 1183 days of consecutive shaving
Russian plastic DE w/ Voskhod (1)
Russian shaving cream or hemorrhoid cream (I can't read Rooskie)
Stirling synth
Alum
Penhaligon's Bayolea

I got a new razor into the den yesterday, but that can wait as I got a load of stuff from @Spider. The sweetest mohawked man I know. Thought I'd channel my love for Hunt for Red October and do a Russian shave with that crazy double-blade razor that I dare only use with one blade installed. This resulted in a surprisingly very good shave. I think I used a bit too much cream as this stuff also has a great cushion and slickness. I suppose that makes sense because when you're shaving in below-freezing weather with a sharpened leaf spring and using vodka as an aftershave, you don't want a lot of weepers.
B8C7FAAE-9A91-4DBC-BE63-67BC85DDFAC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back