The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

I just realized the post I replied to is 2 years old, which makes sense, as I though you already had been using straights. :censored:
To me it’s the oddest thing. I can use the SS no problemo (the Spanish is for Ed and Ben) and a shavette with a half DE us just fine too. But if I use a Weck or a straight, they just stall and chatter. I could see with a straight, I may have sharpness issues, but not with a new hair shaper blade.

How's that going?
So far so good. I’m already tired of the repeating new deadlines every week. It’s interesting. I’m a huge fan of gaining knowledge and education, but not a very big fan of institutional education. It feels like jumping hoops and checking boxes instead of gaining knowledge. I called my sister who is a smarty doctor like yourself and was a professor for a hot minute. I think there should be a merit badge system for education that can also give credit for knowledge learned over time. You have enough experience to take an pass a test on subject X, you get credit for that knowledge set. Or maybe it’s something new to you, you can read and do work over whatever period of time you like and take a test when you’re ready. Instead of saying you have to learn what you need in an arbitrary time set by school schedules. Once you’ve earn enough credits covering whatever requirements, boom, you get a degree.

2020 shave #292 (DE:104 SE:76 Str:111 Cart:0) - 794 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (2)
Wolf Whiskers 2-band
Nuàvia Rossa
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1

Up and at em to be ready for the staffing call this morning. Good shave, good scent, no eminent disasters. Other than Dave cancelled Sunday’s call. 😩

So far so good. I’m already tired of the repeating new deadlines every week. It’s interesting. I’m a huge fan of gaining knowledge and education, but not a very big fan of institutional education. It feels like jumping hoops and checking boxes instead of gaining knowledge. I called my sister who is a smarty doctor like yourself and was a professor for a hot minute. I think there should be a merit badge system for education that can also give credit for knowledge learned over time. You have enough experience to take an pass a test on subject X, you get credit for that knowledge set. Or maybe it’s something new to you, you can read and do work over whatever period of time you like and take a test when you’re ready. Instead of saying you have to learn what you need in an arbitrary time set by school schedules. Once you’ve earn enough credits covering whatever requirements, boom, you get a degree.
Some folks in higher ed believe that one day instead of institutions being accredited, instructors will. Then you will be able to construct your own degree in your own time.

I agree with you @NurseDave Many moons ago when I considered going back to school. The way it is set up. Especially for me. With the required courses you have to take. Were just too big of a load of BS. It's even more ridiculous now. Some of the titles of the classes just sound like a joke.
Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame, The History of Surfing and on and on.
I understand that they are intended to "make you a well rounded person." But to me it's all just padding the bill. And adding extra time to get the education in your chosen degree.
Don't even get me started on the "racket" that is the book and e-book scam.
Think I reached my full curmudgeon quotient for the day.:unsure: Good on you Dave for taking on this challenge.
Fluffy

2020 shave #292 (DE:104 SE:76 Str:111 Cart:0) - 794 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (2)
Wolf Whiskers 2-band
Nuàvia Rossa
Alum
Thayers Lemon

Up and at em to be ready for the staffing call this morning. Good shave, good scent, no eminent disasters. Other than Dave cancelled Sunday’s call. 😩
But we did have a great time with the limbo-Rama! We can just face call each other.

Sunday's shave:

2020 shave #293 (DE:104 SE:77 Str:111 Cart:0) - 795 days of consecutive shaving
Psycho w/ Hospital (1) then Occam OREN w/ Kai Pink (4)
Wolf Whiskers 2-band
Zingari Man The Healers
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Zingari Man The Healers balm

Video posted

2020 shave #294 (DE:104 SE:77 Str:112 Cart:0) - 796 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (3)
Paladin Honey Oscar Noir
Stirling Texas on Fire
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Stirling Texas on Fire AS
Storybook Soapworks Midnight Embers

Well, as we know 2020 just keeps on giving. New fires at the north end of Napa Valley. I got a call Sunday morning they were evacuating a hospital up there. This is the 2nd time this fire season that hospital has been evacuated. We didn't end up getting any patients, but they were letting folks know. Smoke smell in the air, ash on the cars. One winery we've been to is destroyed. Our favorite winery had the flames right up on their fields of Cab. And the tenants we have living in our in-law and cutting their lease short because they can't afford it and need to move in with family. We totally understand. He was a town car driver and there just is hardly any work for him, but of course, their financial strain will now affect us. We'll have to try to get another tenant in this down economy. I had told my parents a month ago we'll be fine as long as I keep my job and both set of our renters stay where they are. I'm hoping this is the only part of that we have to deal with.

@GearNoir here's the report from one of the wineries I mentioned to you for visiting.

One of Napa Valley's most well-known attractions is still standing, but it has reportedly suffered major losses on the property.

Castello di Amorosa, remembered by many as the "castle" visible from Highway 128 in Calistoga, told The Chronicle their farmhouse was razed by the Glass Fire. That farmhouse held all of their bottled wine, some fermentation tanks and a number of offices. The 13th century-inspired Tuscan manor survived the blaze, however.

1601333282489.png

As glorious as your location, I can’t imagine it being long without a tenant. But I’m completely ignorant of Cali properties.

Sorry for the woes Dave.
Hope he got some free wine in the way out!
@GearNoir here's the report from one of the wineries I mentioned to you for visiting.

One of Napa Valley's most well-known attractions is still standing, but it has reportedly suffered major losses on the property.

Castello di Amorosa, remembered by many as the "castle" visible from Highway 128 in Calistoga, told The Chronicle their farmhouse was razed by the Glass Fire. That farmhouse held all of their bottled wine, some fermentation tanks and a number of offices. The 13th century-inspired Tuscan manor survived the blaze, however.

View attachment 36522
Dang...that sucks. The missus and my SIL’s bridal party had to totally forego the trip. Fires, roads were closed, and health concerns...it would have been zero fun for them. They swapped out to a day in Monterrey area instead.

As glorious as your location, I can’t imagine it being long without a tenant. But I’m completely ignorant of Cali properties.
I certainly hope so. The thing we have going against us is the owners just put in a kitchenette with a dorm size fridge, microwave and two hot plates instead a full sized appliances so we need just the right person that really doesn’t want to cook much.

Found out the couple in there now both lost their jobs. He still isn’t getting unemployment and it took her 3 months to get it. They both assumed the economy would have start to recover by now.

Found out the couple in there now both lost their jobs. He still isn’t getting unemployment and it took her 3 months to get it. They both assumed the economy would have start to recover by now.
I feel for you, Dave. And for the couple losing their home. Hopefully, things work out for both you and them.

Oh ya, I shaved this morning

2020 shave #295 (DE:104 SE:77 Str:113 Cart:0) - 797 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (4)
Muhle Rocca
Oleo Humanitas
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Prorasso Mint and Rosemary talc
Le Labo The Noir 29

Back