The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Interesting how we discern scents differently from person to person. Kind of makes you wonder if the green you see is actually what I consider red? hmmmm....
I'm sure it's not for me. I'm partially colour blind, which I didn't really realize how it effected me until I was learning to start IVs, but that's another story. My wife and I had been together for a decent amount of time. Probably a year or two. And she asked me which plates I wanted to use for dinner one night. To which I said, just the usual maroon ones. Then it turns into a Laurel and Hardy routine. "Huh?" "The maroon ones." "What maroon ones?" "The ones we use every day" "We don't have maroon plates" "Okay, the red ones, whatever you want to call it" "We don't have red either" "Arrrgh, these ones right here!" "Those are blue" ".......huh?"

My co-worker is color blind as well (red/green), and I'm constantly poking fun at him. So, I'm a visual person, so anytime I have to explain something, drawing a picture on the white board is usually the easiest way for me to describe things. I have some colored dry-erase markers along with the white board, and will occasionally tell him to grab the red marker...which is right next to or in between the red and black. We always have a good laugh about it.

drop kids off... pick up kids.

That seems pretty easy. Hmmm how do I get to that? I usually get a list of chores on top of that lol.

drop kids off... pick up kids.

That seems pretty easy. Hmmm how do I get to that? I usually get a list of chores on top of that lol.
I guess some of us need more direction than others. LOL! ?

Nice read Dave, and Sorry about Shannon's, but I have the same issues with them, Tumbleweed all the way. As to the chores, I wish some sage had told me not to start to high on the bar..... You see where that got me,LOL

Great read and shave Dave! Bummer the scents are not hitting the marks for you!

Dagwoodz said:
Interesting how we discern scents differently from person to person. Kind of makes you wonder if the green you see is actually what I consider red? hmmmm....
I've wondered that myself not only about colors, but scents also.

Sorry to hear about the soaps. At least you have a couple that you enjoy. When I first started with a DE, my top 2 blades were German Wilkies and Voskhod. I put the Wilkies above because I found them slightly sharper, they lasted longer, and were more consistent. I was getting roughly double the amount of shaves than the Voskhod. Also, I had a few dud blades from them. No duds from the Wilkies.

Sorry to hear about the soaps. At least you have a couple that you enjoy. When I first started with a DE, my top 2 blades were German Wilkies and Voskhod. I put the Wilkies above because I found them slightly sharper, they lasted longer, and were more consistent. I was getting roughly double the amount of shaves than the Voskhod. Also, I had a few dud blades from them. No duds from the Wilkies.
It's interesting seeing the blade discussions on a few other threads. I realized I dialed in a few blades that worked for me early on and just stopped looking. I have a trial pack from when I started with a few brands I still haven't tried. For some reason this is one area I'm perfectly okay with not trying everything.

2018 shave #145 (DE:29 SE:46 Str:68 Cart:2)

Merkur 38c w/ Voskhod (3)
Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Saponificio Veresino 2.0 two-band Manchurian High Mountain White badger
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Penhaligon's Malabah

I still have one more Shannon's Soaps to try, but for logistical reasons it was time to try Opuntia. I agree, if you like the SV style, you're going to like this one. I don't know if the scent itself outpaces 70th, but the scent strength does and makes me wish they could punch up 70th more. Funny after trying several soaps where the scent didn't match the description for me, this one was great. Now, I have no first hand experience at what a prickly pear cactus smells like, but the scent just seems to make sense and I could picture it. I got this off a BST so I don't have the AS, but I was wishing I did.

Pretty good shave with the last run for the Voskhod. It felt a little scratchy on the neck. I realized I had gotten used to not even evaluating the shave for BBS WHILE I was shaving and doing some clean-up because my neck couldn't take that with the straights. A little clean-up on the jaw angle and the dolphins were singing their praises. Despite the blade feeling a touch rough, I ended with no alum sting at all. So a very nice outcome.

So, my wife did go to Pasteur's breifly. Apparently there are several in NY and it sounded like this one was smaller than others I've seen pictures of. They did have a ton of shaving stuff, but the aisle was so narrow she had to walk down and out of it when someone wanted to get to the front to check out. She did end up getting me the TOBS cream and cologne. The scent is nice, but very weak. We'll see if it has more punch when it's lathered.

....It is nice that I haven't reached the "oh heck you don't need any more of that stuff!" stage of the obsession yet.

Word!
1f60e.png

My wife gave up. She just expects new stuff to enter the house.

Great read, shave, and picture Dave!

What no pic of the TOBS? You know the saying, "Pics or it didn't happen".
1f609.png

Thank you guys. It is nice that I haven't reached the "oh heck you don't need any more of that stuff!" stage of the obsession yet.

I get this everytime something new shows up lol. She says, "why don't you use up the stuff you have before you order anything else?" haha.

Nice shaves!

Great read, shave, and picture Dave!

What no pic of the TOBS? You know the saying, "Pics or it didn't happen".
Heh, I had it out to take a pic and then saw they put the price tag right on the top of the lid and it wasn’t peeling off cleanly. Then I saw your comment so I had to get it back out and position them to cover the tag ?

Back