The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Nice couple of shaves there, though I'm sorry to hear about the alum lighting you up after the Weck shave. I've been eyeballing Shannon's soaps for a while now. It might be time to pull the trigger.
Easy to catch up here. Shannon's is a nice consistent soap... but it doesn't wow me. So the scent has to be something spectacular for me to order.
Yep, I think this soap is right in there. Good performance, but nothing that would make you buy it over others unless you run into a great scent. Or just happen to be building your den. I did really like her fern scent. We'll see what the others hold.

2018 shave #143 (DE:27 SE:45 Str:68 Cart:2)

Merkur 38c w/ Voskhod (1)
Shannon's Soaps Black Magic
RasoRock Plissoft 24mm
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
C.O. Bigelow Cashmere Fig

Been thinking about giving the Voskhod another test run since I saw Tim using it. I still have one from my original Amazon trial pack from back in the day. It's better than what I remember it being and I can't remember if I gave it one or two shaves last time I tried it. My initial impression is it being similar to the Wilkinson for me. It left me wanting a bit sharper of a blade, but good for when you want something a bit mild. I did feel a little roughness with it that would make me choose Wilkinson over it, but I'll try it again to see if it was just new blade stuff and it mello
s out.

Black Magic was supposed to give notes of citrus and pepper. I actually really like pepper notes in scents, so was hoping this hit the mark on that. Nope. After lathering, I actually checked the ingredient list to make sure there wasn't menthol in it because it smelled like a medicinal balm of some sort. I really couldn't place the scents, but it wasn't something I was enjoying all the much and made me thinking of something I'd need a prescription for. Soap scent didn't last so I finished with a little something different, probably my favorite Bigelow scent from the line I have.

At home, my wife is gone to NY for a business trip until Wednesday night. So I'm running extra taxi duties and wake-up routines this week. Not too big of an issue, but it will be nice when I get to leave the house again before anyone else is up. I did just look and she's a 9 min walk from one of the Pasteur pharmacies. I'll have to let her know about that ?

Great shave. I hope that the wife brings you home some goodies from Pasteur's.
I do too! She asked if there's something specific I want. The tough part is there isn't one specific thing. I would just want to go and smell for free rather than have to keep buying samples.

Good shave Dave. Sorry the soap scent didn’t please. Was it kind of a Proraso Green medicinal or something different? Pepper and citrus sound like strong scents, hard to miss; interesting you didn’t get that at all.

Good shave Dave. Sorry the soap scent didn’t please. Was it kind of a Proraso Green medicinal or something different? Pepper and citrus sound like strong scents, hard to miss; interesting you didn’t get that at all.
I couldn't tell you. I haven't used any of the Proraso products. I had one very early on in my wet shaving, I think it was a pre-shave and didn't find out that it had menthol in it AND that I really react to it until after it was all over my face. So I started with a Proraso aversion.

Nice shave Dave, I am sure the Voshkod blades are nice for some folks but I much prefer the Wilkies
I realized, I have some brands in that pack that I never even tried. I found the ones I liked and I guess didn't see a reason to keep looking.

She is 9 minutes away from the Shave Mecca and you are stuck at home?

See...my wife, put into this situation, wouldn't even mention Pasteur's. But, she would go in, take loads of pictures, and show them to me when she got home, just as a form of torture.

See...my wife, put into this situation, wouldn't even mention Pasteur's. But, she would go in, take loads of pictures, and show them to me when she got home, just as a form of torture.
When she was in London, she was trying to find Trufitt & Hill for me and had to have walked past it three times and couldn't find it. Sad times.

She is 9 minutes away from the Shave Mecca and you are stuck at home?
Things just aren't right are they? Wish I could have gone on this trip was well. I look on the map and could just spend days walking the streets I think.

As the song goes 2 out of 3 ain't bad...
1f609.png

Good reads and a couple of good shaves Dave!

NurseDave said:
but all I got was green prickly weeds and maybe some dry grass. Must be meant for Chad.
1f606.png
1f604.png

NurseDave said:
She asked if there's something specific I want. The tough part is there isn't one specific thing.
Well just tell her to find a nice smelling soap, after shave, and or cologne that she likes in a brand that they recommend. She likes the scent and you should get a good performing product(s). Win Win
1f601.png

Catching up Dave, try only WTG with the straights for a bit only and if still skipping it has to be angle, or soap, or a dull razor dont give up, it does and will get batter

Catching up Dave. A lot of great reads. Glad you got the wine fridge figured out. Have fun on your trip. I don't really have any advice about the skipping to add. The 3 things that have attributed to that for me are dull blades, non slick lather, and wrong angle. It sounds like all of those items have been addressed though.

Catching up, and regarding Shannon's Soaps.....

I know you were curious why they aren't discussed much. Actually, I've used 13 different Shannon's shaving soaps. The one that I like the most is "Woodlands" (actually went through one complete tin, then started in on the new plastic tubs). It's a "softer" and "greener" vetiver that lacks smokiness, which is the kind of vetiver scented soap I prefer. I jumped on the bandwagon when they first started up and found the soaps to be uber-slick with dynamite post-shave moisturizing face feel. They were actually one of my favorite soaps! But as everyone knows, and like so many of us, I have lots of soaps and they hang around for quite a bit. I started to notice that after about 6 months, the soap's scents went "off". It's almost as if they had a very short "shelf-life". Really, that's the only reason I haven't been using them anymore. Perhaps they've tweaked their formula and I might need to revist.

Catching up, and regarding Shannon's Soaps.....

I know you were curious why they aren't discussed much. Actually, I've used 13 different Shannon's shaving soaps. The one that I like the most is "Woodlands" (actually went through one complete tin, then started in on the new plastic tubs). It's a "softer" and "greener" vetiver that lacks smokiness, which is the kind of vetiver scented soap I prefer. I jumped on the bandwagon when they first started up and found the soaps to be uber-slick with dynamite post-shave moisturizing face feel. They were actually one of my favorite soaps! But as everyone knows, and like so many of us, I have lots of soaps and they hang around for quite a bit. I started to notice that after about 6 months, the soap's scents went "off". It's almost as if they had a very short "shelf-life". Really, that's the only reason I haven't been using them anymore. Perhaps they've tweaked their formula and I might need to revist.
Thanks for sharing. I haven't hit a scent that really perks my interest after the fern I used.

Catching up Dave, try only WTG with the straights for a bit only and if still skipping it has to be angle, or soap, or a dull razor dont give up, it does and will get batter
That's what I keep thinking. And I keep thinking of things to try, to figure out which the issue is. I suppose I could have ruined the edge on the new straight, but I really only did like 15 pretty soft laps on leather with it because I was really paranoid about doing such a thing. And with the Weck, that really can't be an issue. Soaps, for the most part I'm only using high performers and started with the slightly thinned version I use for the RX to thinning it a bit more as suggested. I could try leaving it super thick like I use for DEs. Angle, I started pretty sure I was mimicking what I'd see on videos and thinking about keeping the spine, one spine width away from my face. I also tried even shallower than that.

It is common when you are new to roll, the edge while stropping, and it does not take much to do, even lifting the spine off the strop just a few times can do it, and the razor will still appear sharp, but when you apply it to the face the damage occurs as the geometry of the blade is wonky. If you want I can look at the edge, and re-hone just let me know via PM

Back