The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Basic shaves are better than bloodbaths!
Lmao! Too funny.

Good luck with the repairs. For some reason scenes from The Money Pit are playing in my brain right now...
"Can't be too hard" is something I say often ...right before spending 3 days on the project. My wife has learned that if i say it should take and hour, she figures on 3-4. But really, if you are just replacing an opener the job is pretty easy so long as the mounts are somewhat similar. Put it all together, lift the end that doesn't have the motor into position and place the pin/bolt but leave loose, lift the motor into place and attach to existing brackets. It is very helpful to test fit the motor end before you put it all together. Make any modifications to the mounting brackets at that time so you can really just lift and attach.

It will be fun.
Garage fix SHOULD keyword SHOULD be easy. I suspect 90 minutes.
Oh yes, been there done that. That's how we end up with so many tools right?

Oh yes, been there done that. That's how we end up with so many tools right?

Thankfully I have a Harbor Freight near me, and they always have a 20% off coupon. For that random tool that you are never sure that you'll use again but as my wife calls it "man brain" kicks in I go there to buy it. Cheaper and helps build the tool hoard.

Thankfully I have a Harbor Freight near me, and they always have a 20% off coupon. For that random tool that you are never sure that you'll use again but as my wife calls it "man brain" kicks in I go there to buy it. Cheaper and helps build the tool hoard.
I love that store! Only been to one twice though. None close to us unfortunately.

2018 shave #140 (DE:26 SE:44 Str:67 Cart:2)

CBL frame back
GTB
RasoRock Plissoft 24mm
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
GTB AS
GTB EdP

Jumpin' back into the straights. Did 40 laps on a le
ather strop and was ready to tackle this. Nope, same ole skipping problem. I did as Dave suggested and darn neat laid the razor on my face. This stopped the skipping, but it still didn't feel smooth. I added a little water to the lather for the 2nd pass and things were pretty much the same. After 2 passes it felt like I had almost not shaved at all. I had to pull the plug on the frame back and do the 3rd pass with the RX to end with a DFS. I was ready for my face to be on fire with alum, but there was nothing. It really felt like I was scratching my face up pretty good. Odd stuff guys. Since I had moderate success with the Weck, maybe I need to stick with that for a week.

Interesting shave. I am glad you came out of it DFS. I know that I always have issues when I attempt to go back and forth between straights and shavettes.

Interesting shave. I am glad you came out of it DFS. I know that I always have issues when I attempt to go back and forth between straights and shavettes.
It would be better if I stuck with straights, but my neck just can't take it with my skill level at the moment.

It would be better if I stuck with straights, but my neck just can't take it with my skill level at the moment.

No worries at all. Stick with what works best for you.

BTW, have fun on the DC trip. I have yet to check out the new aerospace museum that is at Dulles Airport - I've heard it's awesome!

I keep thinking that maybe your straight razors are not sharp enough?

I think you should send me the Jerry Stark so I can find out if it is shave-worthy. Happy to help out a friend. :-)

Sorry to hear about the continued struggles with the frameback, Dave. Not sure where the problem might lie, but if you're starting to have good success with the Weck, I would stick with that for a little while.

Sometimes shaves are better than we think. Love the pick! Goes with the software. A ghostly experience.

I keep thinking that maybe your straight razors are not sharp enough?

I think you should send me the Jerry Stark so I can find out if it is shave-worthy. Happy to help out a friend. :-)
Thats what I like about this place. All the people willing to help out.

Sorry to hear about the continued struggles with the frameback, Dave. Not sure where the problem might lie, but if you're starting to have good success with the Weck, I would stick with that for a little while.
Sometimes shaves are better than we think. Love the pick! Goes with the software. A ghostly experience.
Well way behind again Dave, but caught up now!

Good shaves sans the love bite!
Thank you guys

Saturday's shave:

2018 shave #141 (DE:26 SE:44 Str:68 Cart:2)

Weck w/ Personna (6)
Shannon's Soaps Haymarket Vetiver
RasoRock Plissoft 24mm
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Avon Everest

So I did try to go back to the Weck. It started ok. The first strokes were smooth again. The neck wasn't totally smooth, but better than with the straights. But, I could also feel my neck getting a bit sore, so I again bailed for the 3rd pass on the neck and went with a DE. I thought I did okay on the cheeks and was concentrating on light pressure. My whole face lit up with the alum. Entering in my shave I see that I'm at shave #6 for this blade, so maybe that's part of it. Left was a DFS and a pretty sore neck.

I'm liking the lathering of Shannon's
Soaps and curious that I haven't seen them being used because I think they are pretty good. I got a bunch of her sample's, but unfortunately out of the bag they were sent in, the all smell the same. So I really don't know what I'm getting into with each one. This one was supposed to have citrus notes, but all I got was green prickly weeds and maybe some dry grass. Must be meant for Chad. The Everest seemed to dry down to a similar smell to me, so not what I was hoping for, but it would have paired well. If these were wines, they would call these scent notes, herbaceous.

2018 shave #142 (DE:26 SE:45 Str:68 Cart:2)

RazoRock Hawk V2 w Feather Proguard (1)
Shannon's Soaps 25th Street Lime
RasoRock Plissoft 24mm
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Lime AS

I've been thinking about this razor for some reason, mostly because I've seen Hawks popping up from time to time on BSTs and knew my hasn't been used since I got the RX. I needed a break from naked blades and thought it was a good time to revisit. Functionally, I like the weight of the RX more, but in terms of using more pressure the Hawk is probably easier. I did have to fight the urge to add a little pressure to compensate for the lack of weight to do the work, but really wanted to let the blade do the work and see what I ended up with. I was pleasant
ly surprised. I guess I shouldn't have been since this was my favorite razor prior to the RX. Nice easy shave. I didn't check for any clean-up needs and with the exception for the angles of the jaw ended with a BBS with NO alum sting. Aaah, that was nice.

Shannon's 25th Street Lime was a nice scent. Clean and crisp lime scent, but nothing to make it stand out. I already have a great lime scent, and this one has nothing distinctive to call out the need for another one. But if you don't have a lime in your den, this wouldn't be a bad one to grab for summer.

Nice couple of shaves there, though I'm sorry to hear about the alum lighting you up after the Weck shave. I've been eyeballing Shannon's soaps for a while now. It might be time to pull the trigger.

Easy to catch up here. Shannon's is a nice consistent soap... but it doesn't wow me. So the scent has to be something spectacular for me to order.

Back