The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

When I started your Histoires de Perfumes video tonight, I was not expecting to watch it all, as it's late and I still haven't shaved yet. But I found myself at the end, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm semi-literate at best when it comes to analyzing scent profiles, so it was very much fun to watch as you went through them all. Thanks for doing it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I told my wife I was jonesing to smell some new stuff and we can’t go out sampling in the stores so there we go. Bless your heart for making it through the whole thing!

2020 shave #173 ( DE:63 SE:44 Str:64 Cart:0) - 683 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (4)
Stirling synth
Signature Soap Hibernian Hybrid
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes

Soap samples passed on from @Jaro1069 from the maker. These will be in the soap sample pass around. Video posted.

All tests back, no strep or COVID for the kid
Saturday’s shave

2020 shave #172 ( DE:63 SE:44 Str:63 Cart:0) - 682 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (3)
Paladin Vintage Port Cleo
Tabac
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Florida Water

Video posted:(
2020 shave #173 ( DE:63 SE:44 Str:64 Cart:0) - 683 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (4)
Stirling synth
Signature Soap Hibernian Hybrid
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes

Soap samples passed on from @Jaro1069 from the maker. These will be in the soap sample pass around. Video posted.
All Caught up Dave, glad for the negative Test results, and nice bunch of shaves

2020 shave #174 ( DE:63 SE:45 Str:64 Cart:0) - 684 days of consecutive shaving
Blacklands Vector "Merlin" w/ Schick Proline (6)
SV 2.0
SV Manna di Sicillia
Alum
Thayers Lemon
SV Manna di Sicillia AS

Well now that WMRK is on the air I can write my SOTD post. Have plenty of samples I want to try, but peeps been using a lot of SV recently so I get the itch as well. Pulled out one that isn't talked about much. I was all over the place this morning. I also wanted another straight shave. But wanted to use something else for a change. This is another reason sometimes a 2 shave day is good!

I started getting the stir craziness on Saturday. It's pretty much a done deal that there won't be any trips this summer. And it's bringing me down. I really like having something "on the books" to look forward to. This has resulted in our attentions and hope moving to next summer and expanding plans past what we likely should. Ugh, this is all crazy.

Still might be able to make an Oregon trip though! Visit some family. Maybe a couple winery trips depending on the weather?

2020 shave #175 ( DE:63 SE:45 Str:65 Cart:0) - 685 days of consecutive shaving
Feather SS w/ Kai Pink (5)
Maggard synth
Cella
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Pehaligon's English Fern Talc
Histories de Pafums 1740

2nd sample from the Fullfinator. I was expecting more scent from this. It's not bad. A light almond with a bit of something else in a background. A touch of floral. If you want pure almond I'd say go with Siliski's Toasted Almond. And the performance was fine. I'd say the Tabac had more residual slickness. I certainly wouldn't have a problem using it again. Picked one of my top 3 from the Hisotries collection. This one is certainly not for the sunny day we have today. But a man of the world such as myself can wear fragrances year around. It went on strong and warm. For someone that likes strong fragrances, it one the edge of being overpowering. But now just 90min later it's quite a bit softer. Still with a boatload of labdanum I believe, but more of the vanilla coming through. I like it, but I think this one will be a bit too much of a single overpowering note for me to purchase.

Cella scent = Almond is correct.
Our brains tend to associate it with marzipan and/or cherries based on what we have been exposed to.

Back