The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Looks like you made some fantastic progress, and you've gotta love getting a deal like that on a fridge.

That a whopping deal on the refrigerator! Glad things are progressing Dave!
Ya it was! I’m just bummed because I’ve been asking for a fridge with water and ice in the door for years and we only get to use it a couple of weeks.

Nice work weekend accomplishments Dave. My skim reading may have missed it. What's moving day and 1st day in the house?
We get the keys on the 4th and have guys with younger backs and a big truck coming on the 7th. We should have most everything but the heavy stuff moved when they show up I hope. Then it’s just getting this house rental ready.

2020 shave #48 (DE:17 SE:11 Str:20 Cart:0) - 564 days of consecutive shaving
Rockwell 6S w/ Wizamet (5)
TSC Legacy
Stirling Christmas Eve
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1
Stirling Christmas Eve AS

Alright, finally got in my Christmas Eve shave. Mmmm good stuff. Shave #5 with the Wizamet and it was pretty good. Just a touch less smooth than yesterday. I certainly would take these blades to 5 but I’m expecting to notice more of a change tomorrow.

Okay admittedly I was behind. Been reading along but not posting.

All I can say is the time that you have had to move is ridiculous. Feel bad for ya. We know that when the kids get closer to HS age we will move, as we want to be strategically located for our kids to go to the high school we want them to go to. We will probably move in the next 7 years.

We are kind on the other side of your plight. Now that the Lad has sailed we are finding that 2800 square feet of house is too mush for a cripple and a working spouse to maintain. couple that with 32 years of accumulated stuff and I foresee a dumpster fire in my future.

I hope things settle down for your real soon, Dave. I'm way behind on reading journals, so I've no clue on why this all is happening, but even under the best of circumstances, moving is traumatic. I've been moved many times by my former employer, include once on 3 days notice. Made my head spin. Hang in there.

All I can say is the time that you have had to move is ridiculous. Feel bad for ya. We know that when the kids get closer to HS age we will move, as we want to be strategically located for our kids to go to the high school we want them to go to. We will probably move in the next 7 years.

That's awesome that you guys are moving to Texas. Which high school? Allen, Trinity, Katy, Carrol? List can just keep going with all the great high schools here!

That's awesome that you guys are moving to Texas. Which high school? Allen, Trinity, Katy, Carrol? List can just keep going with all the great high schools here!

I've tried to move my family out of state and was shot down... That's not gonna happen lol

Lot of love for this soap lately. It's now on my radar. How would you rate Stirling compared to LNHC, CBL, or Shannon's?
Some folks have more love for Stirling than I do. For me this is the base performance for a soap that I’ll use. Lathering is good, slickness is good. Any less then I’m not interested in using a soap. But good enough that if the scent is great, I’ll go after it.

7 years is about right, I think I could get things packed up by then. My wife on the other hand would have the house packed by the end of the weekend if I told her we were moving...not kidding.
I hope things settle down for your real soon, Dave. I'm way behind on reading journals, so I've no clue on why this all is happening, but even under the best of circumstances, moving is traumatic. I've been moved many times by my former employer, include once on 3 days notice. Made my head spin. Hang in there.
It all started about 4 pages back ...there’s not much warning.

I feel for you Dave. Not much I can say to help but I Do know it will all come together in the end. One box at a time, one step at a time it will come together. I’m just thrilled that you finally found the Christmas Eve soap you were looking for. That’s the real drama here.

2020 shave #49 (DE:18 SE:11 Str:20 Cart:0) - 565 days of consecutive shaving
Rockwell 6S w/ Wizamet (6)
Paladin Harlequin Sherlock 26mm
Central Texas Soaps Mr Peoper
Alum
Thayers Lemon
Nivea 2:1
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather EdP

Set aside Mr Pepper when I was going through my soaps to make sure I used it. It really surprises me how much I like this scent. The pepper of the Dr part is in my wheelhouse for sure. And look at me go with the Wizamet. Shave #6! The most I’ve done with a DE blade. Today was a little scratchy, but still a wonderful BBS and no alum sting. So I guess it would depend on what is more important. Experience or longevity of the blade.

Well, you have my sympathy for what it is worth. I think I was as stressed as I have ever been when we moved from our Walnut Creek home in 2015 intending to travel to Forest City, Iowa to pick up our new RV. We sold the home and, at two weeks before closing, were in the final stages of packing all the stuff you accumulate after 24 years when my wife had to have emergency surgery when her knee replacement became infected. I had to finish everything myself and deal with not having a home in the Bay Area to go to while we dealt with my wife's problem. We ended up renting a room at the Marriott Residence Inn in San Ramon for 4.5 months at $129 per night (a reduced rate!). I was so stressed out and pretty much hit rock bottom. So, Dave, I totally get where you are coming from. It looks like you are ending up in Millbrae or Burlingame. If true not a bad place to be. Things will definitely get better.

Back