The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

All caught up, and great reads.

Neither my wife, nor I, have ever been on a cruise. But we’re hoping to take our daughter on a Disney cruise next year.

Nice shave today and good call on the 'no straight' if you weren't feeling it. I've pushed forward before when I was on the fence on what to use and ended up paying for it by either some wicked irritation or a visit from Mr. M.

I'm also a cruise virgin, but the LOTH wants to change that in the next few years with a family vacation, after we have taken the girls to Orlando and done that.

I lived in Florida for 25 years and never went on a cruise. For my 10 year reunion, they took a cruise. Didn't go on that one either. I have nothing against them. Just never went.

Good call on forgoing the straight!

If the mojo isn't there, then it just isn't there is my feeling.

All caught up, and great reads.

Neither my wife, nor I, have ever been on a cruise. But we’re hoping to take our daughter on a Disney cruise next year.
I don't think anything can compare to Disney. They set the bar pretty high, so it's a struggle for me to get my wife to agree on anything else now. And you can't replicate all the photo ops you have with the characters and princesses. Heck, my wife even ran into Minnie just strolling through the ship.

Nice shave today and good call on the 'no straight' if you weren't feeling it. I've pushed forward before when I was on the fence on what to use and ended up paying for it by either some wicked irritation or a visit from Mr. M.

I'm also a cruise virgin, but the LOTH wants to change that in the next few years with a family vacation, after we have taken the girls to Orlando and done that.
I lived in Florida for 25 years and never went on a cruise. For my 10 year reunion, they took a cruise. Didn't go on that one either. I have nothing against them. Just never went.

I'll tell ya, my wife had one bad experience and swore she would never go again. But then one year I was looking at the cost of actually staying in a Disney hotel for several nights, tickets to get into Disneyland and food etc, then realized I was pretty close to the cost of a cruise that includes it all. I talked her into trying a Disney cruise just her and I, she loved it. Not only did they do kids stuff well, they do adult areas really well too. She loved it and we've done several since. We even just booked a European cruise (not Disney) next year with two days in Russia!

2018 shave #124 (DE:20 SE:39 Str:62 Cart:2)

Weck w/ Personna (3)
A&E Grecian Horse
Plisson synthetic 24mm in Shave Revolution handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
A&E Grecian Horse AS

I'm really wanting to see if I can master the straight, but still not ready for the added maintenance on a work morning. Then I remembered I had the Weck! This was closer to my frameback than the SS. Well, with my limited 2-3 shave experience with it. This was a frustrating shave that started off awesome. I say awesome, because the first pass on my cheeks was like butter. I could hear the hair being cut, but I swear I couldn't feel the blade on my face at all. BUT, I also could tell I still wasn't feeling the slickness I have with any other razor and knew I couldn't repeat strokes in the same area often. The rest of
the shave I again was having some blade chatter. I didn't have actual stalling, but it felt as though I was shaving without soap almost. I had thinned my soap down on advise of counsel, could see my angle was pretty shallow. I really am baffled as to why this happens every time with the Weck and now the straight I have.

I smartly decided, and stuck to, only doing three passes and then following up with the Q-Shave on 1. There was enough hair left on my neck after the three passes that I only got a DFS out of it and plenty of alum burn. My neck is still feeling a bit touchy. I'm left with not really knowing what else to try. I can shave just fine with the SS and have it glide repeatedly over areas.

Side note, many of my pics include lathered up soap because I can't plan ahead. Sometimes I've decided on one razor when I get my soap out and change my mind by the time I'm done lathering. So I figure I need to wait until my mind is set with what I'll use.

Good stuff Dave. I will say I set my gear out the night before. Very rarely does it change between when I go to sleep and when I wake up.

Good read Dave!

I usually lay out my shave the night before also, very rarely does it change. I usually wait till I get home in the afternoon to take the picture, that way if I changed anything up it's no big deal.

Nothing worse than forcing an issue on principle, then regretting it when the crimson flows or the irritation starts. You'll live to shave another day.

Good stuff Dave. I will say I set my gear out the night before. Very rarely does it change between when I go to sleep and when I wake up.
I'd like to do that, but some of it depends on the mood I'm in when I wake up.

Good read Dave!

I usually lay out my shave the night before also, very rarely does it change. I usually wait till I get home in the afternoon to take the picture, that way if I changed anything up it's no big deal.
Picture in the afternoon is a good idea other than I post my shave when I get to work. I might give that a shot from time to time though. Better a late pic than none at all.

Nice pic. Sorry about the frustrating shave.

I have a similar problem with my Wecks. I can't seem to use them without cutting my face up.

Nice pic. Sorry about the frustrating shave.

I have a similar problem with my Wecks. I can't seem to use them without cutting my face up.
And I don't have enough experience to know if it's that I just can't use that type of a blade (like I can't shave with a GEM to save my life) or it's just my technique in general. I have half a mind to use my new Stark straight just to see if I get any better results. But I'm afraid to screw up the edge.

Sorry to hear about the frustrating shave with the weck Dave.
Thanks, I keep feeling my residual scruff and want to go home and clean it up!

I'm kind of with you when it comes to gear Dave. I often don't pick my gear until I walk by the cabinet on the way to the den.

Back