The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

NurseDave said:
Update, it’s back to just syrup smell

And that is disheartening. I love pancakes and syrup but I don't want to smell like syrup lol

2018 shave #109 (DE:16 SE:38 Str:57 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (4)
PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
Plisson synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Bleu de Chanel

Well, I still really like Rossa, but I have to say scent wise, I still give the nod to Grecian Horse. But performance is rock star level with the Nuavia soaps. This shave was again pretty good with a DFS+ finish and DSBBS G on the cheeks again. Just going to be slow progress on the neck now I'm sure. Yesterday and today I did what I think is buffing on the neck. I remembered seeing on videos from Jammin' GI James that he did quick tiny strokes in some areas. This seems to be helpful in curved areas where long sweeping strokes will miss parts unless pressure is applied. Talking about pressure, I did get the allover alum sting again. But again I'll take it as I know I can concentrate on pressure once my passes become more routine.

NurseDave said:
....The AS was another story. When I splashed it on, I got pancake syrup 100%. Not earthy maple syrup, but the sugary, glass bottle that looks like a woman.....

"You're killin' me, Smalls!" That's hilarious!

Nice couple of shaves, Dave. That is quite the scent evolution on Grecian Horse lol.

I'm going to have to run back to my room to smell that again....'cause I didn't get anything close to Mrs. Butterworths out of that bottle! And I LOVE Mrs. Butterworths, FYI...

Nice shave. I do many short strokes on the neck with small adjustments with each one. You will get it.

Dagwoodz said:
I'm going to have to run back to my room to smell that again....'cause I didn't get anything close to Mrs. Butterworths out of that bottle! And I LOVE Mrs. Butterworths, FYI...
Well, many tobacco soaps also smell like honey to me so...

2018 shave #110 (DE:16 SE:38 Str:58 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (5)
Strop Shoppe Peche
Stirling 26mm synthetic pro
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Penhaligon's Malabah

Well, I was looking for my Jermyn Street soap, but couldn't find it in the bedroom drawer at 5:30 and thought this scent sounded good. But it's a bit too cool out yet to finish off with a sweet spring scent.

Again the shave was a mirror of the rest of the week with incremental progress on the neck. I got a touch closer to BBS with the 3rd pass, but things were feeling a little raw so I bailed to the Q-Shave set on 1 for just a couple swipes to make the BBS official. And still with the alum sting all over. I really don't think I'm using the amount of pressure on my cheeks that would related to the amount of alum sting I'm getting on them. Sting on my cheeks is pretty unusual for all my other non-straight shaves. But I realized today, the other time I do get it, is when I go for the ultra smooth RX shave and include skin stretching with the shave. The results are awesome, but I feel it. I think really good skin stretching that is necessary for these glass smooth shaves is just a bit too aggressive for my skin. I can get BBS with less stretching, but it doesn't hit the glass smooth level.

Great shave and read Dave!

I just recently got to use PannaCreama Nuavia Rossa and WOW the performance and scent where top of the charts for me!

nice shave Dave...that's curious about the extra stretching leading to more irritation. I wonder if it could be related to angle or pressure when the skin is more taught?

There's no bonus in the paycheck for those glass-like smooth shaves. My ole mug has a hard time dealing with that level of closeness, and thus I'm fine with DFS. When I get a BBS, it's a surprise. So my point is, do what's right/good for you.

Dagwoodz said:
nice shave Dave...that's curious about the extra stretching leading to more irritation. I wonder if it could be related to angle or pressure when the skin is more taught?
I guess pressure makes sense. You're making the skin tighter so there is less give to it. So a little increase in pressure is transferred more directly to the skin vs dissipated a bit by compression. I swear when I do it with the RX though I'm gliding right along, I don't think I can have any less pressure.

Great shave Dave. You are making good progress. You will figure out what is needed to get your best shave soon enough.

cmh737 said:
There's no bonus in the paycheck for those glass-like smooth shaves. My ole mug has a hard time dealing with that level of closeness, and thus I'm fine with DFS. When I get a BBS, it's a surprise. So my point is, do what's right/good for you.
True, true. Just a feeling of accomplishment. Funny that with a cart I'd happily go as many days as I could without shaving and like when the whiskers got long enough they started to feel soft. But now, the least bit of roughness after a shave drives me crazy.

NurseDave said:
True, true. Just a feeling of accomplishment. Funny that with a cart I'd happily go as many days as I could without shaving and like when the whiskers got long enough they started to feel soft. But now, the least bit of roughness after a shave drives me crazy.

I know the feeling well Dave. For a couple of years after getting back into wet shaving, I shave 7 days a week a bunch becasue of that. Now I will skip a day or two on the weekend, but I don't like it when I do.

2018 shave #112 (DE:16 SE:37 Str:57 Cart:2)

Merkur 38c w/ Israeli Personna (5)
Strop Shoppe Russian Tea
Saponificio Varesino 2.0 two-band Manchurian High Mountain White Badger
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Storybook Visions and Revisions

I have to again thank that guy right up there ^^^^^^, Walt (McVeyMac) for this shave with his awesome PIF. Russian Tea hits all the notes for me scent wise with three distinct and pleasant scents. You get the wet tea bag of a smooth Earl Grey, the bright lemon juice, and a warm side note of honey. I thought I could duplicate this by mixing three soaps with those different smells, but it doesn't work that way. Instead of smelling all three scents, they blended to make one new one. So this won't be locked away and guarded, I will certainly be using and enjoying it.

The shave itself was simple. We're leaving for the airport early in the morning so I figure I'll do another shave tonight and skip the morning. So I wanted a shave that was gentle on my neck. And this shave made me laugh at myself. I was able to quickly get a no clean-up BBS with NO alum sting. Not glass smooth, but better than most DE shaves I've gotten. So all that means is all this stuff with straights is more for satisfaction and challenge than anything else. But I guess we all know that. Hard to believe it's only DE shave #17 for the year though!

Tomorrow we fly out for San Diego to spend the day at the USS Midway Museum, then Sunday we sail out on a little 5 night Disney Cruise. I love being on cruise ships period. But this time we're meeting my wife's cousin and her family, who can quickly add stress to any situation. So my whole goal is trying to be zen and just happy I'm not at work.

I had a feeling this would be your shave lol.

We honeymooned to San Diego. My favorite day was at the USS Midway. My wife not so much lol. I love history and especially US history. So I kind spent too much time there lol.

As to cruising yes! In my opinion THE BEST way to vacation. That is usually how we try new to us wines, because we always buy the drink package and I don't feel as guilty if I get a glass of wine and don't really like it. We have been talking about planning a cruise for some time 2019.

What a great PIF, you had been dreaming of that soap for a while. EARL GREY? I have some of that scent in my arsenal but i didn't use it in my last attempt to recreate the fabled Russian Tea ...that will be changed.

Back