The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

DocHoliday0831 said:
Nice shave brother, I need as many vacations as you take that would make my stress level way less!

LOL!! I tell ya, these were scheduled by my wife. Normally we would only do Spring Break. This next cruise was a deal she set-up with her cousin to all get together. I'm not so excited to be pulling the kids out of school, but yes it is nice to feel like I'll hardly be at work this month.

Quijote said:
Nice shave. You are really coming along with that SS.

Thank you. I just get baffled why it doesn't directly translate to the straight. Maybe with all the practice, the next time it will.

Nice shave and my understanding on Strop Shoppe is they just got pushed out so to speak. They did sell the Baker's Street scent to Stirling. Rumors are that Rod at Stirling is trying to get other scent recipes from them... nothing yet.

Cvargo said:
Nice shave and my understanding on Strop Shoppe is they just got pushed out so to speak. They did sell the Baker's Street scent to Stirling. Rumors are that Rod at Stirling is trying to get other scent recipes from them... nothing yet.

I've been bugging him about Russian Tea ever since I heard of him getting Baker's Street. LOL

Dave - nice updates man!

Nice shave today...you'll eventually incorporate getting those stray whiskers into one of your current passes, and the BBS's will soon follow!

2018 shave #108 (DE:16 SE:38 Str:56 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (3)
A&E Grecian Horse
Plisson synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
A&E Grecian Horse AS

I would like to title this shave....
Breakfast at Penhaligon's

So with high expectations I open the tub. I don't know what Josh was smoking, but this is NOTHING like Endymion. Ah well, it doesn't smell bad, just not distinctive. I couldn't really tell what it smelled like. I lathered it up, and got more of a sweet note than I got from the tub. It doesn't explode into lather. Rather it starts as a dense rich creamy lather and slowly expands as you add water. It took quite a bit of water to get it to my straight shaving consistency and I might should have added a bit more.

Then I lathered my face. THERE IT IS!!! The heavenly scent of Endymion swept over me. The choirs began to sing and Josh was very much redeemed. I will have to get a few more shaves in with it, but this could easily secure a spot in my top 5 favorite soaps to use. The shave itself was good. Without thinking about it I used a different grip for the 2nd pass on my cheeks and I think it will work out better than what I've been doing with a little practice. The neck was still awkward, but I pulled a BBS out of it with just the SS. The cheeks reached a three pass DSBBS bordering on DSBBS-G. I didn't think I was aggressive with the shave, but the outcome was reflected in the alum sting all over. I'll take it. And I could still smell the soap after all my post-shave routine.

The AS was another story. When I splashed it on, I got pancake syrup 100%. Not earthy maple syrup, but the sugary, glass bottle that looks like a woman. I've experienced this before. Well, not the syrup smell, but AS that needs a moment to dry down to get to its actual smell. Well, slowly the Endymion emerged. It took about an hour, but the syrup smell is very faint and maybe just imprinted on me more than actually still present. I only have one use left of my Endymion sample, so I'm saving that for travel, but this is very nice by itself and I'm hoping it will last.

Cvargo said:
Wow what a way for a scent to develop.
True, I always amaze at the guys that can create these products where you can't just stick you nose in it and know what you're going to get.

Glad to hear that the soap met your expectations Dave! I felt a little sheepish when you couldn't smell the Endymion at first...lol. great job with the SS!

Endymion - I have a love/hate relationship with it LOL

I may have a sample of it laying around somewhere. If I find it, more than happy to send it your way. I believe I have a sample of the concentrate version as well. Just let me know.

Sskim3 said:
Endymion - I have a love/hate relationship with it LOL

I may have a sample of it laying around somewhere. If I find it, more than happy to send it your way. I believe I have a sample of the concentrate version as well. Just let me know.
I appreciate it, I got a couple samples when I was in the store. Just need to get a full bottle for sure. But I made the mistake and put it on a wish list of ideas for my wife. So she could have possible gotten it to save for the future. I've learned now, not to put things I REALLY want on there, because then I can never buy them for myself.

Dagwoodz said:
Glad to hear that the soap met your expectations Dave! I felt a little sheepish when you couldn't smell the Endymion at first...lol. great job with the SS!
LOL, I was hoping it might have you wondering for a few seconds ;)

Nice read, shave, and picture Dave!

I like Endymions, I have a bottle on my wish list, along with several other Penhaligon's scents.
1f609.png
1f62f.png

Back