The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Majorrich said:
Does wine suffer from being cooled then warmed like beer does?

Depends on how long you’re keeping it. Any wine can be ruined if it gets too hot. Which is why it’s a shame to see built-in wine racks above stoves and refrigerates in kitchens.

If you’re storing wine for a while, it’s about consistency of temp and avoiding swings in temp over and over. But how big of swings and how many is fodder for many a discussion on wine forums.

And here I go to remove our wine rack above our fridge. Non chalantly of course

2018 shave #105 (DE:15 SE:38 Str:54 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (1)
Sapone Di Paolo Terroso
Plisson synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave blam
Nameless by Mark Buxton

Late afternoon shave today. Lots of house stuff again. Loaded up a new blade and felt that new blade roughness. Things went pretty well, three passes and I thought I ended up with BBS. A DFS+ snuck up on me though. I’m anxious to get back to a true straight, but I know the practice is good for me.

I spend a good chunk yesterday installing a new closet system in one of the girls’ room. This morning I finished that up, then had more yard work. I’m working on ripping up the front yard to replace it with zeroscaping. But I don’t have cool toys like KJ, so it’s just me and a hard tined take. Slow and stead and sore.

I have lawns to mow. But everything is still wet so not sure I'll run the mower til next weekend.

Nice shave Dave!

I had to google zeroscaping to make sure it is what I thought it was.

Might I recommend renting a tiller at the local Home Depot or rental place.

clyde72 said:
Nice shave Dave!

I had to google zeroscaping to make sure it is what I thought it was.

Might I recommend renting a tiller at the local Home Depot or rental place.
It could have been the best way to go. I got one when I put the sod in 4 years ago, but it didn’t seem heavy enough to dig in well and I couldn’t fit a heavier one in our SUV.

2018 shave #106 (DE:16 SE:38 Str:54 Cart:2)

Q-Shave w/ Wilkinson Sword (2)
Strop Shoppe Solsetio
Witch Hazel & Alum
PAA Beach blam

Another late shave after a few more hours of yard work. Not as much growth as normal because of the later shave yesterday, so I just went soft and easy. Turned the Q-Shave down to 3 and got a nice little BBS with no pressure. This balm was another PIF sample. Like most balms a few dabs is enough. It soaked it well and I feel hydrated a few hours later. The scent was of sunscreen to me. It doesn’t last too long, but it’s one I would pass on.

The scent of sunscreen is something that I accept, not necessarily enjoy. It does always remind me of the beach though, so it may be one of those olfactory memory triggers.

Nice shave today Dave...and agree with the above...BBS is good no matter how you got there!

Nice shave yesterday. I haven't heard of that scent before. Such a shame they went out of business.

Cvargo said:
Nice shave yesterday. I haven't heard of that scent before. Such a shame they went out of business.

This one almondish. Yes, they were before my time so I'm curious why they closed up shop. Also wonder why they don't sell their recipes to someone.

2018 shave #107 (DE:16 SE:38 Str:55 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (2)
Scheermonnik Soek
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave balm
Missoni

Things are coming along with the SS. Pretty good shave today. The 1st pass is almost without thought now. I had to realize I was zipping along and slow myself down to thing about what I was doing. Did okay with the 3rd neck pass. Better than before with less clean up needed. I think I'd pass the cotton ball test, but if I really search I can find a few strays so I'll give this a DFS+. My plan is to continue with the SS or DE this week. We have vacation next week, and then try full straights again when we get back.

Back