The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

That was a great shave. Now just remember what you did and do it again tomorrow.

Just a strop idea for securing it, FWIW....I use a carabiner, and hook it to the towel rack. When finished, I hook it on a hanger in the closet.

Good Job Dave, You have entered a bigger world and will now start to understand the DSBBS World LOL

So my amazon suction cups showed up. I think they might be a good solution for now. They will actually attach to the top of the counter so the height will be better and are quick to remove and store.

cmh737 said:
Just a strop idea for securing it, FWIW....I use a carabiner, and hook it to the towel rack. When finished, I hook it on a hanger in the closet.

That and the dog chain idea would be more secure, but I worry about the noise. I’m shaving just after 6am when the wife is still asleep.

kingfisher said:
Nice job, Dave!
Xenostr8shaver said:
Good Job Dave, You have entered a bigger world and will now start to understand the DSBBS World LOL
DocHoliday0831 said:
And you wondered if a BBS no alum shave was possible with a straight.

Thanks guys, it at least makes me hopeful. This was just with the SS, so I’m hoping to try the straight again tomorrow. As they are obviously different beasts.

2018 shave #102 (DE:15 SE:38 Str:51 Cart:2)

CBL frame back
Chiseled Face Cinnawood Boroka
Stirling 26mm synthetic pro
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea post shave blam
Chiseled Face Cinnawood Boroka AS

Well, like Randall, I was unable to duplicates yesterday's results which caused much frustration. I went thinking This would be the one. But it wasn't. During the first pass I started to admire the nice rich lather on my face. Then remembered Dave suggesting my blade stalling could be because of lather. So I thinned it down more than I thought I should and I did have less blade stalling than previous Weck shaves and my other shave with this razor. I thought things were going well, until rinsing after the 2nd pass and my neck felt like it hadn't been shaved at all. I kept going and I didn't have stinging on the rinse after the 3rd pass, so I went for BBS on the neck with the frame back. I even found that crazy angle I need to use. I swear, I would go over and over the same area and the hair was still there.

I ended with what I would call a DE BBS on the cheeks and a DFS on the neck. Decent alum sting, not terrible, but I was expecting that. While I want to see that what I'm learning on the SS translates to full straights, IF I were smart, I'd get some more good SS shaves under my belt to refine the technique.

Well you are getting my question, as you are first person I recall seeing use that soap. How strong is the cinnamon scent? Is it synthetic smelling? Meaning does it have Big Red chewing gum vibe to it?

Cvargo said:
Well you are getting my question, as you are first person I recall seeing use that soap. How strong is the cinnamon scent? Is it synthetic smelling? Meaning does it have Big Red chewing gum vibe to it?

Well, now you jinxed it. I never really thought straight up cinnamon using it. But you mentioned Big Red, I started thinking about it and now my mouth is watering thinking of the taste of Big Red. I do love cinnamon and since I didn't think that until now, I'd say it doesn't stand out a just cinnamon, but more a a mix of warm spices with that amber note. I can sent you a sample container full (then I'd feel like I'm getting to use up soaps too ? )

NurseDave said:
Well, now you jinxed it. I never really thought straight up cinnamon using it. But you mentioned Big Red, I started thinking about it and now my mouth is watering thinking of the taste of Big Red. I do love cinnamon and since I didn't think that until now, I'd say it doesn't stand out a just cinnamon, but more a a mix of warm spices with that amber note. I can sent you a sample container full (then I'd feel like I'm getting to use up soaps too
1f603.png
)

The reason I ask is because I DESPISE the artificial cinnamon smell... so it smells like Big Red or Red Hots I would have to get rid of it LOL.

Cvargo said:
The reason I ask is because I DESPISE the artificial cinnamon smell... so it smells like Big Red or Red Hots I would have to get rid of it LOL.

Noted, this year Dave gets more peppermints, you get the Big Red gum mega packs.

kingfisher said:
Sounds like a good shave, Dave.

I still only have the small paddle strop I got from Whipped Dog and my wife makes me store it out of sight. It's actually in the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers.

I pull it out at night to strop up the razor before I go to bed and put it away before she comes up to get ready for bed. In the morning I shave and strop before she even gets up. So she never sees it, and that makes her happy. LOL.

I store my strops on a hook screwed into the side of the cabinet the sink sits on, it's between the sink and the toilet very close to the wall. My wife has never really complained about how they are stored. I have a more secure and permanent hook anchored to the wall right behind where my towel hangs. The hook is accessible without removing the towel but it is also pretty inconspicuous. I too do the majority of my stropping the day prior rather than the morning of because my wife finds the "shhh, shhh, shhh" sound extremely irritating and has threatened to kill me if she has to hear that while she remains sleeping in the morning. The cotton strop i use post shave is pretty quiet.

Nice shave Dave. Consistency is one of the things that will come with more experience.

Nice shave and read, Dave. There are times when those stubble islands appear, and it seems that nothing can be done about it without taking most of the skin off.

Back