The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

Dagwoodz said:
Nice shave and smart call on not pushing it on the neck. Love the sepia look of the photo!! Great contrast, classy looking!
Thanks Josh!

Cvargo said:
Nice pic today.
DocHoliday0831 said:
Nice photo!!! I am gonna start rescaling my SS soon.
Thanks guys. I would love nicer scales on it. I may have to pay one of you guys that knows what they are doing to rescale mine.

NurseDave said:
Thanks guys. I would love nicer scales on it. I may have to pay one of you guys that knows what they are doing to rescale mine.

who said I knew what I was doing? I’m kinda winging it

Good shave and picture Dave!

Does your strop have snap, or loop or hook or what on it?

The poor mans strop will loop over a door knob.

My Tony Miller has a snap/clasp on it. I just got a small dog choke chain and wrapped it around the the door knob and snapped the clasp into the rings on it. Works great for me.

clyde72 said:
Good shave and picture Dave!

Does your strop have snap, or loop or hook or what on it?

The poor mans strop will loop over a door knob.

My Tony Miller has a snap/clasp on it. I just got a small dog choke chain and wrapped it around the the door knob and snapped the clasp into the rings on it. Works great for me.

A metal loop I believe. That’s not a bad idea. I just ordered these from Amazon this morning. I’ll see how they work out.

Getting tired of waiting for items to come into stock and trying to bundle purchases. Ordered the A&E Grecian Horse soap and AS, and Nuavia Rossa. I feel a little better.

Great shaves Dave.

I understand about sending out your SS. I have been considering sending my Waterville out to someone to get them to fix the hinge pin. I have every bit of confidence that I can do it, but I don't want to risk messing up on a set of scales over 100 years old.

Quijote said:
Great shaves Dave.

I understand about sending out your SS. I have been considering sending my Waterville out to someone to get them to fix the hinge pin. I have every bit of confidence that I can do it, but I don't want to risk messing up on a set of scales over 100 years old.

the SS I am going to rescale is new and I won’t be destroying the original handle just for that reason. I might likely screw up. But it is gonna be fun to try

Sounds like a good shave, Dave.

I still only have the small paddle strop I got from Whipped Dog and my wife makes me store it out of sight. It's actually in the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers.

I pull it out at night to strop up the razor before I go to bed and put it away before she comes up to get ready for bed. In the morning I shave and strop before she even gets up. So she never sees it, and that makes her happy. LOL.

I haven't had the best results re-pinning and saving the scales. Not that I've done that many. I'm about 50-50.

kingfisher said:
Sounds like a good shave, Dave.

I still only have the small paddle strop I got from Whipped Dog and my wife makes me store it out of sight. It's actually in the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers.

I pull it out at night to strop up the razor before I go to bed and put it away before she comes up to get ready for bed. In the morning I shave and strop before she even gets up. So she never sees it, and that makes her happy. LOL.

Hmmm. I finally looked up what this contraption is that you have. Different than what I thought and much cheaper than other paddle strops. Interesting option.

2018 shave #101 (DE:15 SE:38 Str:50 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (5)
CBL Damascus
Plisson L'Occitane synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Lather Bros Flora Colossus balm
Calvin Klein Euphoria

Straight shave #50. This is when I'm supposed to have gotten the hang of this right?

Went for CBL's masterpiece of soap to give it a try with home water. Yep, like everyone is reporting this has a great, easy to obtain lather that has great cushion and slickness. It's not a slippery slickness, it's creamy. Or I didn't use enough water to thin it to straight shaving levels. It was another out of whack feeling morning, but I sent for the SS anyway. I took my time and made sure I was skin stretching and making overlapping strokes. I tell ya, I swear with as good as I think I do the 1st pass, I have no idea how much hair can still remain, especially on my neck. I mean, I hear the stuff being cut! Well, a few passes later and I'm finishing my last pass on my neck and still end with those trouble spots left. Well, things have been feeling pretty well, no stinging with rinsing, so I go for it with the SS. Somehow I luck into my weird, twisted arm sideways neck stroke and BAM!! We have a BBS folks. And bonus, no alum sting!

I have to say I credit much of the ability to get BBS with the straight to CBL's soap. Without the ability to go over areas several times it wouldn't have happened, and certainly not without the alum sting.

This balm is another from my samples. It's a very thick balm, but does spread well. There was a faint floral scent that didn't last long. And from the tingling I'm sure it had menthol in it as well. I looked it up, but it's not on their website now. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or unobtainium.

Well 50 straight shaves in and it seems if you twist you arm the right way you get a great result. 100 was the key for me before I got consistency.

Outstanding progress, Dave! I'll agree it does take a bit of contortionism on the shavers part to get those troublesome spots properly! But it pays off when you do!!

Great shave Dave!

I used CBL Damascus for my last shave also!

Congrats on the BBS!

Cvargo said:
Well 50 straight shaves in and it seems if you twist you arm the right way you get a great result. 100 was the key for me before I got consistency.
Dagwoodz said:
Outstanding progress, Dave! I'll agree it does take a bit of contortionism on the shavers part to get those troublesome spots properly! But it pays off when you do!!

Thanks guys. Not that I'd ever make a shaving video, but it would be hilarious. "Now, for pass three, you're going to need to put your arm across your face, then twist the wrist down, like this here. Can you see that? If you can see that, you're not doing it right. Now, by feel you're going to place your blade right near your carotid artery...."

NurseDave said:
..."Now, by feel you're going to place your blade right near your carotid artery...."

And we wonder why people call us crazy for shaving like this!! LOL

Back