The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

While using the straight for the entirety of the shave is always the goal, I have zero problems using a DE or SE to get to areas that the straight just won't effectively get to. Nice shave with some great gear!

Dagwoodz said:
While using the straight for the entirety of the shave is always the goal, I have zero problems using a DE or SE to get to areas that the straight just won't effectively get to. Nice shave with some great gear!

I guess I’m still figuring out if straights will remain in my rotation. I don’t know if I’ll stick with them if I can’t get at least as good of a shave as I can with the RX. The idea of shaving with a straight is pretty cool, but the added maintenance has to have a payoff.

More water to the soap, sounds like the blade was stalling on the face. You will get back in the saddle again

Sorry a bit late gettin in here Dave. Welcome back to CONUS and glad you had a nice vacation. Playing with straights adds the adventure facet to the shave. Like being a cowboy!

Xenostr8shaver said:
More water to the soap, sounds like the blade was stalling on the face. You will get back in the saddle again

Yep, that’s exactly what it’s doing. I do thin the lather a bit, but I’ll certainly add more water next time. If the blade would just slide along the skin that would take away a lot of the challenge I’m having.

Majorrich said:
Sorry a bit late gettin in here Dave. Welcome back to CONUS and glad you had a nice vacation. Playing with straights adds the adventure facet to the shave. Like being a cowboy!

You know, there is something to that. You made me remember when I was in my string of great RX shaves, that there was no challenge any more. Which was nice for results, but I did miss it in a way.

Sounds like a pretty good shave. Congrats.

For it to beat an AC razor, the stars have to align. Good edge, good lather, good technique, and (for us newbies, anyway) maybe a touch of luck.

2018 shave #99 (DE:15 SE:38 Str:48 Cart:2)

Q-Shave w/ Wilkinson Sword (1)
Lisa’s Natural Amber and Tobacco
Plisson L'Occitane synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Soap Commander Courage balm

An unconventional shave for me today. I got a new video game yesterday, so got some time in on that in the morning before kids would be returning and then did some yard work. My wife ask me to go to the store with her when she got back, so it was a tired and quick shave. I went mild since I’ll be shaving again in less than 24hrs. A mild 2-pass DFS.

I had some balm samples PIFed to me on another site, so I’ll be working through those. I was a touch worried about this one after applying because me face started to tingle like there was menthol in it. But it didn’t progress to burn and went away in about 5 min. The balm spread easily, wasn’t greasy at all and was totally absorbed in shortly. I’d say this is at least as good as the Nivea I’ve been using.

Good couple of shave and reads Dave!

Glad you made it back safely!

All of the scented Soap Commander balms have menthol in them, so far as I know. They do have one unscented non-menthol (Integrity) available.

clyde72 said:
Good couple of shave and reads Dave!

Glad you made it back safely!

All of the scented Soap Commander balms have menthol in them, so far as I know. They do have one unscented non-menthol (Integrity) one available.

Ah, well that explains that. Maybe because a lot less balm is used than AS it’s more tolerable.

DocHoliday0831 said:
my wife let me buy a ps4 just because God of War for it comes out on the 20th

Lol, boy you sure scored. That and all the shaving stuff and she’s not bouncing off the walls.

I played the first God of War and liked it. Not a lot of gaming time with the kids around now, so I pretty much only get the new CoD and Far Cry when they come out. Play them through and then I’m done til the next one.

NurseDave said:
Yep, that’s exactly what it’s doing. I do thin the lather a bit, but I’ll certainly add more water next time. If the blade would just slide along the skin that would take away a lot of the challenge I’m having.

also check you angle of attack no more that one spine width off the face or less

2018 shave #100 (DE:15 SE:38 Str:49 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (4)
B&M Cheshire
Plisson L'Occitane synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & Alum
Nivea balm
B&M Cheshire

Well, this isn't the shave I had planned. I was going to use the frameback, but my morning was a little out of kilter and I realized I'm not set-up for full straight shaving in the bathroom yet. I need to get something to mount my strop so I can use it after the shave. I'll also need a touch more time to take care of maintenance after. My wife has already nixed putting a hook into our new cabinet, so I'm going to look for a strong suction cup I can mount to the glass shower wall. Maybe one with a level so it's easy to detach and put away.

I wanted to get back into my straight practice though so grabbed the SS. Back to my typical straight shave. BBS on cheeks, DFS on neck that turned to BBS with some DE clean-up. I started to mess around with my neck passes, but smartly backed off on that because my routine was just not sync and I didn't want to hurt myself.

Nice shave and smart call on not pushing it on the neck. Love the sepia look of the photo!! Great contrast, classy looking!

Back