The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2018 shave #96 (DE:14 SE:37 Str:47 Cart:2)

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (4)
L&L Bandwagon
Plisson L'Occitane synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm

Today I brought in a pitcher of cold water from the fridge. It did help a bit. I’ll do that again tomorrow. But I’m also wondering, can water be too soft? I’m getting plenty of lather with slickness, but it seems like the cushion is missing this week.

I like the smell of Bandwagon. Nice and manly. I’m going to have to add when the dam breaks and my online cart starts to get filled up.

Nice shave, glad to hear that the cold water helped the shave out some. Not sure how ultra soft water would affect the lather, as most of the time the conversation surrounds hard water and its effects.

Great shave. You are about to have the water there figured out. Just in time to go home.

If it's so soft that it's appearing to lather quicker maybe it's actually not at the right stage. When you think it's there add a little more water in my experience when traveling that has helped.

Dagwoodz said:
Nice shave, glad to hear that the cold water helped the shave out some. Not sure how ultra soft water would affect the lather, as most of the time the conversation surrounds hard water and its effects.

True, I don’t even know what too soft water would feel like.

Quijote said:
Great shave. You are about to have the water there figured out. Just in time to go home.

True, headed home tomorrow.

Cvargo said:
If it's so soft that it's appearing to lather quicker maybe it's actually not at the right stage. When you think it's there add a little more water in my experience when traveling that has helped.
I’ll give more water a shot tomorrow.

clyde72 said:
Great Shave Dave!

Have A Safe Trip Home!

Thank you. Supposed to have the storm that hit here days ago, hitting at home when we get there. I’ll be drugging up on Dramamine!

2018 shave #97 (DE:14 SE:38 Str:47 Cart:2)

Asylum “The Doctor” RX w/ Feather Proguard (5)
CBL Damascus
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Penhaligon’s Clandestine Clara

Last shave in paradise and the weather is finally beautiful and we’re packing :/

I added more water as Chad had suggested. It might have helped with the cushion, or my face is just healing in increments. Just a touch of neck clean-up for the BBS. We have another trip in a few weeks and this all makes me think I’ll probably bring a DE with a mild blade on that one just to be safe.

Nice shave to cap off your vacation, Dave. It would figure you dial everything in right as you're about to leave. Good call on bringing the DE and some milder blades the next time out.

We made it home, and while there were tons of cancellations and delays reported for SFO, we lucked out and were only delayed a few minutes and the flight was smoother than on the way out. Have to say too, that coach on Hawaiian was better than the first class we had on United on their beat up old plane on the way out.

Great to hear that you made it back safely. Interesting note on Hawaiian Air vs. regular commercial.

Glad to hear y'all made it home safely!

Nice departure shave.
But of course the weather clears up at the end of the vacation. That would be my luck also!

Nice write-ups, Dave.

I'll be going out of town the third week of this month for a reunion. I'll likely not take any of my straight razors, and just ratchet back to DE for the trip. Sometimes on trips I've actually gone back to just an Atra and some cream in a tube applied by hand. Haven't decided yet what I'll do.

Thanks everyone. That double edge of nice to be home vs back to normal life.

2018 shave #98 (DE:14 SE:38 Str:48 Cart:2)

CBL’s Frameback
SV 70th
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
SV 70th AS

I started this man spa episode with SV 70th bath soap. Have to say it is enjoyable, but GTB soap is better for a wake me up scent.

I’m a touch out of practice with the straights, but things went ok with the frameback. Thanks again Chris for all the work that went into it.

The shave was more similar to the weck than the SS. I couldn’t get it to slide smoothly the whole time, but it got a little better when I added more water to the lather. I thought I was doing pretty well, but just barely got BBS on the cheeks and had to reach for the Q-Shave to clean up the neck enough for a DFS.

Back