The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

Bad shave day today, used a soap and AS I haven't in awhile and had a reaction, thankfully it's calmed down. Definitely time to get an order in with Ryan at Tallow and Steel.

Back on track today,
Tallow and Steel : Cabin in the Woods, occupied by a heavy smoker
Apollo Mild Head
Gillette Siver Blue
Tallow and Steel : Chain smokers delight AS

Followed up with Cedar Woodpecker EdP for that true Parisian geyser vibe.

Whew, training week is almost over, and does it feel like it. Sessions are zapping me, but at the same time feel really good, and I'm feeling Im getting more out of my sessions.
Strangely I felt great today, after kind of a shaky start to the week. Poor sleep, grumpy stomach etc...
The weird thing is, I actually have more energy in other ways than when I'm eating at a surplus, so who the heck knows.

1631555452613.jpeg

1631555482960.jpeg

1631555500711.jpeg

I broke down and ordered some soap locally. A good shave friend recommended Extro to me, just warning that scents can be hit or miss. Being a Tallow and Steel fan, I didn't blink an eye.
Bay Rum sounded good, and the graphic really grabbed me as well, coming from a family of sailors.
The soap is a non-tallow soap, with extra Q-10 added amoungst a host of other good stuff.
Like most non-tallow soaps, that heavy body is somewhat lacking, but I still get a nice thick lather. One thing very unique here, is the feeling when you first put it on. It's almost like it's healing medicine for the face. Slickness I great, residual is ok. Overall I'm rlly happy with it so far, two uses in. Hoping this will be my next go to brand after T+S, but lets see.

Today, a stupid mishap happened, my razor slipped while I was moving from one side of my mouth to the other, and I got one of those lovely sideways moving blade slashes. Thankfully, this one felt a lot worse than the actual cut, which was a about 2mm long, and took a good minute or two to start showing blood. Still super annoying, and seems to be a bad habit for me, when I get comfy with a razor. Had a pretty good one with a Rocket HD on my chin, that left a bit of a scar. Well at least I look rugged.

View attachment 60589

View attachment 60591

View attachment 60592

I broke down and ordered some soap locally. A good shave friend recommended Extro to me, just warning that scents can be hit or miss. Being a Tallow and Steel fan, I didn't blink an eye.
Bay Rum sounded good, and the graphic really grabbed me as well, coming from a family of sailors.
The soap is a non-tallow soap, with extra Q-10 added amoungst a host of other good stuff.
Like most non-tallow soaps, that heavy body is somewhat lacking, but I still get a nice thick lather. One thing very unique here, is the feeling when you first put it on. It's almost like it's healing medicine for the face. Slickness I great, residual is ok. Overall I'm rlly happy with it so far, two uses in. Hoping this will be my next go to brand after T+S, but lets see.

Today, a stupid mishap happened, my razor slipped while I was moving from one side of my mouth to the other, and I got one of those lovely sideways moving blade slashes. Thankfully, this one felt a lot worse than the actual cut, which was a about 2mm long, and took a good minute or two to start showing blood. Still super annoying, and seems to be a bad habit for me, when I get comfy with a razor. Had a pretty good one with a Rocket HD on my chin, that left a bit of a scar. Well at least I look rugged.
Been there done that... The soap sounds great! I'll have to look them up.

Back on track today,
Tallow and Steel : Cabin in the Woods, occupied by a heavy smoker
Apollo Mild Head
Gillette Siver Blue
Tallow and Steel : Chain smokers delight AS

Followed up with Cedar Woodpecker EdP for that true Parisian geyser vibe.

Whew, training week is almost over, and does it feel like it. Sessions are zapping me, but at the same time feel really good, and I'm feeling Im getting more out of my sessions.
Strangely I felt great today, after kind of a shaky start to the week. Poor sleep, grumpy stomach etc...
The weird thing is, I actually have more energy in other ways than when I'm eating at a surplus, so who the heck knows.
Best two words in a sentence "Grumpy Stomach" hmmm CT Maybe?????

Whew, been a busy few days. Haven't had a chance to update the journal.

I'm pretty excited about finally getting that order of Tallow and Steel soap and AS in. EU is making it difficult to buy outside now, so wanted to just get a big order in, taking advantage of the free shipping (taxable here) and had been hanging in for the next entry in the Japanese series to be available.

That said, the plus side is it's also got me to try some European soap, which is a good thing. Buying local is a good thing. Glad I took the chance on Extro, I really like it, and it's quite different than other non-tallow soaps, and other artisan soaps. The glasswork jar, maybe not practical, but it does add that feeling of luxury and specialness.

I've been getting super frustrated with my computer, and iPad, both feeling a bit long in the tooth. Apple is taking forever to come out with an updated 27" iMac, (mine is a 2013! and really needs an upgrade now). This weekend after fighting with my iPad enough to raise comment from Helena, we decide it was time to upgrade. I'd been torn between sizes, but finally decided to stick with the larger 12.9" since I do a lot of multitasking and spreadsheet work.

It's not a laptop, but I love that pencil, and the better speakers, mics, and cameras all matter for my projects, so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy. Getting a pair of AirPod Pros at a huge 'student' discount somehow took some of the sting away.

What I can't believe is we ordered it Sunday, and I just got notice it'll be here tomorrow.

Next month, rumor has it there will be new MacBook pros coming out, and then it's deciding if I want to do that or what for an iMac, or just give in and get the smaller M1 iMac that's available now.....

I can’t find a durable keyboard for my iPad - I’ve tried Brydge, Zagg, and Logitech - but not durable enough, I like the Apple iPad keyboard but no way after spending over $1k on the iPad am I going to spend another $350 on a keyboard. At that point might as well get a MacBook

Nice tech update! Still enjoying my newish iPad Pro as well. The iPod Pros were also a good investment for me (also got them at a larger discount)!

Nice tech update! Still enjoying my newish iPad Pro as well. The iPod Pros were also a good investment for me (also got them at a larger discount)!
Ah, you go the Pro version, nice! What size? Did you get the keyboard with the little trackpad too? Got to know these things man!

I can’t find a durable keyboard for my iPad - I’ve tried Brydge, Zagg, and Logitech - but not durable enough, I like the Apple iPad keyboard but no way after spending over $1k on the iPad am I going to spend another $350 on a keyboard. At that point might as well get a MacBook
I hear you, I had the folio style keyboard on the 1017 iPad, and never again. It's just janky now, sometimes works sometimes not, and fiddly. I wind up needing another surface to hold the thing on my lap too. All part of why I wanted to upgrade.
You're right the cost is just stupid, but that pencil, being able to touch the screen, I need it I tell you!

Ah, you go the Pro version, nice! What size? Did you get the keyboard with the little trackpad too? Got to know these things man!
Yes, 12.9 Pro with Magic Keyboard and Pencil. Mine is a 2020 though, insiders kept teasing the M1 but I didn’t want to play the guessing game.

Back