The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

my vintage gillette obsession..

I guess the prices on these Brit Crats have gone down since I grabbed mine!😁
:D they can be pricy-some folks overinflate the prices when selling them.some sets are rare ie leather cased versions.i paid reasonable amounts for mine $150-200.ones with rougher cases or mismatched sets go for cheaper.i was lucky and found a nice empty case or 2.somebody took the razors out to use and it never saw the case again. i made sure i got near mint razors when i first started my search.no replates.my #21 and #15 oc versions are all original but the seller didn't want that much as razors weren't his interest.still on the hunt for a nice #22 case.mint complete sets with instructions,blades and shippers are still big bucks..

Hope you don't mind me sharing my little Crat family.
View attachment 97457
I'll keep following your post for more envy worthy razors!
absolutely.those are beauties.awesome. :cool:
here is mine.i aimed at getting one of each of the 4 generations my oc #15 is the later rhodium version with no pat #s on the handle.i see you have a '39 popular also.great shaver.mine is on the upper right.i am hoping to find another late #15 case liner for my 3rd gen -upper left
20221105_190015_edited.jpg
my 4th gen remains homeless..

absolutely.those are beauties.awesome. :cool:
here is mine.i aimed at getting one of each of the 4 generations my oc #15 is the later rhodium version with no pat #s on the handle.i see you have a '39 popular also.great shaver.mine is on the upper right.i am hoping to find another late #15 case liner for my 3rd gen -upper left
View attachment 97461
my 4th gen remains homeless..
Sweet sets. Most of mine have been replaced, so I cheated.

Sweet sets. Most of mine have been replaced, so I cheated.
i wouldn't say cheated at all.partially restored maybe,:).and if they are for you like mine are for me and not resale,who really cares... ;) my popular was caseless and the instuctions are reproductions.the proper case find was pure luck.

good morning gents.a fine sunday shave.
20221105_105647_edited.jpg
usual face prep.a few swirls of the damp custom badger made for a great dr jons face lather.older tallow base.nice stuff i've had for years.
smooth 2 passer in the usual manner.alt insbruck to finish.awesome.
this fine razor set is from 1959.gillette england made u.s type flare tips but with rocket end caps/heads,red,regular and blue.for a short while they made rocket style flare tips in the 3 colors also from around 1957-60 ish.the regular-silver one staying in production until 1965
i scored this fine set near nos from a friend,missing a couple of blades from it's original dispenser.it doesn't get used often but it's a treat when i do.no shelf queens in my den.;)same shave as the regular rocket flaretip.
20221105_105722_edited.jpg
1667752297289.png
have a fine sunday everyone.:cool:

good morning gents.the monday shave,20221106_093955_edited.jpg
fabulous tfs lather built with the trusty semogue 830,usual face prep.smooth 2 passer in the usual manner.fine a/s to finish .awesome
this is the brit red tip ss,made from the mid 50s until it's replacement with the red tip rocket around 1958.i've had 2 u.s red tips and a red tip rocket,passing them all along to others.this one is my favorite shaver of the bunch.more blade exposure than the u.s versions but also the smoothest imo.the rocket version seemed a bit much,though the heads/exposure is the same.this razor has some plating issues on the bars but not bothered.i wanted a last go with the red tip and this one is the keeper.will i replate it?not likely as it's not my go to razor era wise..;)
have a fine day everyone.:cool:

i wanted a last go with the red tip and this one is the keeper.will i replate it?not likely as it's not my go to razor era wise..;)
My birth year/quarter is a C-1 Red Tip (1957). I had it replated in Rhodium, and love it. It's cool to have a "brand new" razor from the time I was born.

My birth year/quarter is a C-1 Red Tip (1957). I had it replated in Rhodium, and love it. It's cool to have a "brand new" razor from the time I was born.
that's very cool:cool:.my b-year/quarter is m-4 november 1967.so i am stuck with a black handled flare tip.techs were zamak...:D.hardly worth restoring,though i do have a nice one.i had a mint m-4 slim adjustable complete set but got good $$ for it..no brit version for either unfortunately.;)

good morning gents..tabac tuesday..
20221107_123717_edited.jpg
cool early 60's era Euro shave with the '61 parat rocket.fine tabac lather built with the ap shave tuxedo.smooth 2 passer with minor pick ups in the usual spots.tabac a/s and cologne to finish.i smell like an old fart in a wool suit waiting for bingo to start..:LOL:..
this little gem of a razor is the last of the original rocket line.the ford falcon of razors.It's twist knob was made slightly smaller to match the handle in diameter.was called a parat in non brit markets.in the 60's the rocket HD was gone,techs were zamak capped,full brass razor production stopped by 1968,the slim being the last one standing.super adjustables were the new normal,great shavers today if you can find one without handle rot.
have a fine day everyone.:cool:

Last edited:
Back