The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

my vintage gillette obsession..

brit

Sr. Shave Member
hello gents.my deal in a nutshell.i learned to shave with a bic disposable then gillette 2 blade carts in the early 1980's.not enjoyable by any means and and always viewed it as a chore.i chose to shave as little as possible as i was in the auto industry and saw little client front line contact.leave me be and i'll get the job done was my moto..skip a few years and a marriage or 2,i started using William's soap and a brush around 2006,but still used mach 3's.still hated it but was marginally better.at least more "traditional "I always got a lower neck irritation line/ingrown hairs. Thoroughly frustrated at having these issues in my late 40s i grew a full beard and did the least needed to maintain a respectable appearance.2017 ..i owned an auto repair shop and had some space to show off some cool old school memorabilia in the front office/reception area.i was always into vintage tools,cars old stuff so i bought a fatboy razor to display in a cabinet.well .that just piqued my interest and i decided to actually try it.after a trial run with readily available wilkinson blades i was intrigued and proceeded to purchase anything vintage.Rabbit holes-101
Long story short..
i decided to narrow my gillette adventure to british gillettes..well i am british born and my RAF WW2 serving grandad was a gillette man since the late 1930s.it made sense to honour his indulgence and enjoy stuff he could of acquired. His last gillette i remember was a white handled slim twist.from the early 70's.
History done..;)
i purchased many brit gillette sets online from the uk and hooked up with some brit gillette collectors over the last few years.i wasn't greedy and only got what i wanted,not multiples to gloat about or sell for profit.gillette tech razors became a weak spot as their are so many variants around the world and over the course of 60+ years of manufacture.they are also cheap to acquire/collect if you have an eye..Some shave better than others..

20210622_132115_edited1.jpg

These days i shave daily due to work expectations and have since 2018.i change my razor almost daily as to be honest,they all shave quite similar.no shelf queens in my den.once you have the technique down pat it's a no brainer.there are exceptions..old type/single ring/new improved require an extra bit of attention.(all early 3 hole blade).and the brit red tip of course,don't get complacent with that one..
i usually use gillette st .petes blades and have acquired a few thousand,mostly blue/white tuck platinums-the new swedes as as some say,gsb-the old 7oclock blues as reported by some.and nacets.i also indulge in vintage spoilers when the mood arises.astras,polislvers,various other 7 oclocks and others fill bins in the archives also,just to keep things authentic to the cause.feathers and kai blades are around but rarely used.i buy barber 100 packs to keep things affordable and share with my friends.
obviously i shave daily so there is little use for a 3 pass shave.i do 2 across the grain with some buffing/touch up for near bbs,being mindful of the lower nech area-source of ingrowns for many years.
my favorite gillettes are brit OC NEW rfb's,with the new sc a close second-i have all 4 generations of aristocrat and 'crat jr variants/populars but they are mostly for fun and nostalgia.i do a touch up pass most of the time with a lowly 1965 brit flair tip rocket with residual slickness and/or water/witch hazel.it gets the last stragglers and hard to get whiskers with it's slim head and positive exposure.only made from 1964 -66 it is really gillette's best all brass non adjustable.imo.brit/canada market as far as i know.so there it is..my story.sorry for the longish ramble.happy shaves gents.;):cool:

I want to dive into that picture.........so beautiful.

shave of the day..
good morning gents,non work shave today so went the whole hog.proraso sandalwood pre shave and a hot facecloth started the session,something i rarely do these days.normally on work days it's a quick face wash with imperial leather,yardley or pears hand soap.
soaked the omega boar for a few minutes while enjoying the hot facecloth.fabulous jeeves face lather,nice and slicksmooth 2 passer across the grain with the OC tech/nacet combo.light buffing to get the stragglers in a couple of spots as per usual,cold water rinses between each pass.
did another rarely done procedure and passed the alum around,with a cold rinse to finish.liberal jeeves splash caps it off with a spritz of gentleman edt.no balm today as the jeeves soap has good post shave qualities.awesome.

1665759993045.png
have a fine friday everyone.

hello gents.my deal in a nutshell.i learned to shave with a bic disposable then gillette 2 blade carts in the early 1980's.not enjoyable by any means and and always viewed it as a chore.i chose to shave as little as possible as i was in the auto industry and saw little client front line contact.leave me be and i'll get the job done was my moto..skip a few years and a marriage or 2,i started using William's soap and a brush around 2006,but still used mach 3's.still hated it but was marginally better.at least more "traditional "I always got a lower neck irritation line/ingrown hairs. Thoroughly frustrated at having these issues in my late 40s i grew a full beard and did the least needed to maintain a respectable appearance.2017 ..i owned an auto repair shop and had some space to show off some cool old school memorabilia in the front office/reception area.i was always into vintage tools,cars old stuff so i bought a fatboy razor to display in a cabinet.well .that just piqued my interest and i decided to actually try it.after a trial run with readily available wilkinson blades i was intrigued and proceeded to purchase anything vintage.Rabbit holes-101
Long story short..
i decided to narrow my gillette adventure to british gillettes..well i am british born and my RAF WW2 serving grandad was a gillette man since the late 1930s.it made sense to honour his indulgence and enjoy stuff he could of acquired. His last gillette i remember was a white handled slim twist.from the early 70's.
History done..;)
i purchased many brit gillette sets online from the uk and hooked up with some brit gillette collectors over the last few years.i wasn't greedy and only got what i wanted,not multiples to gloat about or sell for profit.gillette tech razors became a weak spot as their are so many variants around the world and over the course of 60+ years of manufacture.they are also cheap to acquire/collect if you have an eye..Some shave better than others..

View attachment 95576

These days i shave daily due to work expectations and have since 2018.i change my razor almost daily as to be honest,they all shave quite similar.no shelf queens in my den.once you have the technique down pat it's a no brainer.there are exceptions..old type/single ring/new improved require an extra bit of attention.(all early 3 hole blade).and the brit red tip of course,don't get complacent with that one..
i usually use gillette st .petes blades and have acquired a few thousand,mostly blue/white tuck platinums-the new swedes as as some say,gsb-the old 7oclock blues as reported by some.and nacets.i also indulge in vintage spoilers when the mood arises.astras,polislvers,various other 7 oclocks and others fill bins in the archives also,just to keep things authentic to the cause.feathers and kai blades are around but rarely used.i buy barber 100 packs to keep things affordable and share with my friends.
obviously i shave daily so there is little use for a 3 pass shave.i do 2 across the grain with some buffing/touch up for near bbs,being mindful of the lower nech area-source of ingrowns for many years.
my favorite gillettes are brit OC NEW rfb's,with the new sc a close second-i have all 4 generations of aristocrat and 'crat jr variants/populars but they are mostly for fun and nostalgia.i do a touch up pass most of the time with a lowly 1965 brit flair tip rocket with residual slickness and/or water/witch hazel.it gets the last stragglers and hard to get whiskers with it's slim head and positive exposure.only made from 1964 -66 it is really gillette's best all brass non adjustable.imo.brit/canada market as far as i know.so there it is..my story.sorry for the longish ramble.happy shaves gents.;):cool:
You are a man of great taste.

I want to dive into that picture.........so beautiful.
thank you,they were my cased sets,though cases not pictured,i have downsized a bit since then and have around 40ish left,basically my favorites.if i had to i could get by with a couple. ;) ,but they all get used in a random sort of rotation.:)

Thanks for this great introduction to your journey. I always enjoy your SOTD photos and it will be nice to learn more about your shaves.

gillette tech razors became a weak spot as their are so many variants around the world and over the course of 60+ years of manufacture.they are also cheap to acquire/collect if you have an eye..Some shave better than others..
Please post more about your thoughts on this topic as they arise. Gillette techs are an area I know little about and would love to learn more from somebody who’s used many iterations.

Thanks for this great introduction to your journey. I always enjoy your SOTD photos and it will be nice to learn more about your shaves.

Please post more about your thoughts on this topic as they arise. Gillette techs are an area I know little about and would love to learn more from somebody who’s used many iterations.
thank you so much:). i have a love for techs and use many variants.as i use them i will give a little history about each and where they stand in the line up regarding age, significance, availability and shave quality compared to others when possible.as you probably know,most folks think a tech is a tech.in reality very true,but there are some that stand out..just a little. ;)

Hmm, that razor looks pretty agressive. Though, I haven't tried an OC since my early days of wet shaving. Maybe they would work better for me now.

Hmm, that razor looks pretty agressive. Though, I haven't tried an OC since my early days of wet shaving. Maybe they would work better for me now.
it's quite similar to the brit flat bottom tech shave wise,though the open comb feels different compared to the tech's solid safety bars.less clogging with heavier whisker growth than the tech also. :)

One of my favorite go-to morning razors is my British tech.

View attachment 95621

I have no idea what version mine is. I think its pre war.
Prewars are generally accepted as having triangular lather slots…though yours is very different with its blade post slots as well. I don’t think I’ve see that before on a Tech!

Yours appears to possibly be a 40s Thin Handle Tech from England. According to Mr Razor pics.

Last edited:
One of my favorite go-to morning razors is my British tech.

View attachment 95621

I have no idea what version mine is. I think its pre war.
nice looking #25 set.:cool: 1946-9 ish with the flat bottom tech.this case(#25) has been available with a few different razors.there are many that believe england didn't produce brass closed safety bar razors until after the war ended,only bakelite ones.

So mine's a Post War Tech? Good to know. I'll start referring to mine as #25 Uxbridge road.
well technically.the post war U.S design razor started being produced in england around 1949-50.only canada had a "prewar" design tech like the u.s one with triangular lather slots..

Back