The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

my vintage gillette obsession..

i unfortunately have never tried it but heard great things about it.would love to find a yardley black puck.i haven't invested big $$ in vintage soaps so far,just 1 good deal on 3 pucks of canadian williams tonsorial.same goes for vintage aftershaves due to shipping restrictions.all i have is a full 1960's vintage canadian market old spice a/s.one gets an occasional nugget up here in the north.;)
It’s a great product and for the most part relatively available on eBay for around $30-35. Black label is basically unobtainable!!! I’ve tried and every time it comes up it’s either bundled with something else or $150 by itself. The vintage Williams soaps are just plain awesome! Keep up the hunt!

It’s a great product and for the most part relatively available on eBay for around $30-35. Black label is basically unobtainable!!! I’ve tried and every time it comes up it’s either bundled with something else or $150 by itself. The vintage Williams soaps are just plain awesome! Keep up the hunt!
will do .thank you Matt. :)

good morning gents..tech tuesday "grand opening":)
20221114_115239_edited.jpg
20221114_115343_edited.jpg20221114_115609_1_edited1.jpg
20221115_084553_edited.jpg
drumrollplease.removed the cellophane that protected this beauty for 75 years,gave it a look-over and a wipe,nacet blade locked and loaded.
nice warm pears blue face wash then applied the slick,fragrant eton college lather built with the simpson synthetic.lovely soft brush with great backbone.took my time with numerous painting strokes.
smooth 2 passer across the grain with very little pick ups left.got those in short order.
cold water rinse,then liberal amounts of the matching splash.no issues or irritation.no fanfare or cheering crowds,just an awesome shave.
it's a cool feeling using a brand new vintage shaving implement.should of had a cup of Horlicks and be wearing short pants for the event.;).
this razor is truly mine now..and it's a keeper.:love:
have an awesome day everyone:cool:

Darn...I was hoping you'd say "Meh" and I could swoop in and claim it. Oh well, glad you found this amazing razor....now I'm going to sit over here and be jealous.
thank you so much.:)it was a cool experience and i'm glad i did it.also glad i used the nacet blade.not had much luck with 70+ year old blue blades.i was fortunate to do the same with an nos #25 set also.same razor.if i acquire another NOS example i might save it for the next gen to try..we'll see.. ;)
my travel kit from england.late 40's.s-l1600 (2).jpg

it's a cool feeling using a brand new vintage shaving implement.should of had a cup of Horlicks and be wearing short pants for the event.;).
this razor is truly mine now..and it's a keeper.:love:
When I got my birthyear/quarter C-1 Red Tip replated, it felt like I'd gone back in time. I can imagine what breaking the seal of a NOS 75 year old razor must be like. Nice!

When I got my birthyear/quarter C-1 Red Tip replated, it felt like I'd gone back in time. I can imagine what breaking the seal of a NOS 75 year old razor must be like. Nice!
it was very cool.it made the razor truly mine,though i wasn't the original purchaser.;)i should have used a late 40's soap and aftershave but i don't have any at present.:)

good day gents.midweek shave.
20221115_113021_edited.jpg
lovely seville-omnibus base lather built with the soc boar.my only other b & m products are reserve classic and waves.nice stuff.
smooth 2 passer with minor pickups using the newly unsealed thin handle tech/nacet combo.will use this until the blade fails.
cold water rinse and a liberal splash of '60's vintage shulton old spice.lovely stuff.got the bottle sealed in the box for a fair price.rarely seen on canadian fleabay sites.awesome.
love this little flat bottom gem of a razor,nice plating,tight threads.a little head heavy with the thin handle,but that's fine,loves the nacet blade.may try a kai blade in one for next time around,maybe with the fat handled one.,still happy i unsealed it,no regrets.;)
thanks for reading along..
have a fine rest of the day everyone.:cool:

Now that's a classic shave!
thank you Bruce.my grandad loved old spice.when i last lived in England(1980)he was using a '70's white handled slim twist.he also wore old spice quite often.he came here to b.c a few times during the 1980's and '90s for holidays but i wasn't around much.i still have his 1950's darts set and a few other keepsakes,but none of his shaving gear.this aftershave reminds me of him. :)

good morning gents, fine hat-trick shave..
20221116_133754_edited.jpg
usual face prep with imperial leather soap.fabulous cb connecticut lather built with jr's zebrawood badger.
smooth 2 passer in the usual way with the brit fb tech/nacet-third use.fine combination.binned the blade as i always do after 3 shaves,well,when i remember..;)
cold water rinse and a good splash of clubman whiskey woods.awesome.
great experience overall using the same razor for 3 days-an nos vintage one to boot.yes i have many other fb techs in the den,equally as nice in condition and shave quality.but this one could see more use because i broke it in...
now that i've flogged this one to death i'm on to the next..maybe a fat handled version with a kai blade,i hear these blades are a touch wider.we'll see.:)
have a fine day everyone..:cool:

good day gents..friday..:cool:
had my fat handled flat bottom tech locked and loaded,but a parcel arrived from a cool friend..
20221118_103859_edited.jpg
well,just had to try the war techs out-left is the bakelite with metal cap,right is the 1944 army issue only tech-stamped "s" on the baseplate,prewar design baseplate but with oval lather slots.i added a spare black case to complete the set.they were available after the war but i suspect they were surplus.1946 saw the post war design.the other gillettes are as follows.late 1921 new improved and a 46-7 u.s aristocrat.both are in great daily driver condition,i had passed on my mint sets(way too nice to use) some time ago but wanted less valuable examples to shave with.these non brass model war techs are totally new to me and should be fun to try out/dial in.both are very light weight wise.also in the pic is a relined u.s tech case ,a restored ever-ready 750 butterscotch brush with a fox red synthetic knot.and a tub of menrock sicilian lime shave cream.anyhoo..😬
20221118_104141_edited.jpg
todays shave was excellent.
usual face wash,quick slick Sicilian lime lather built with the new ever-ready.
nice 2 passer with the bakelite tech.very light but efficient enough with the mid sharp 7 oclock green.i like to test drive an unknown razor with a comfy blade.usual pick ups in the usual places.
cold water rinse and a good sized splash of razo-rock lime aftershave.awesome.
will try out the metal plate "s" tech tomorrow with the same blade.but will most likely use nacet or equivalent blades in future shaves..mild loves sharp.;)
thanks for reading along,have a fine evening everyone.:cool:

Back