The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Marvel Cinematic Universe

DC hasn't done a good movie since the Dark Knight Trilogy in my opinion.

Watched Dr. Strange last night. Another fun film, but had periods of slowness but overall I enjoyed it. Tonight we watch Guardians 2. At this pace we will watch Captain Marvel about it's second week in theaters which fine by me. No spoilers please.

I have yet to see either of those but i have to say i agree in general with how Marvel just seems to make great choices and DC drops the ball. I don't find what DC does to be unwatchably bad like some claim but they are disappointing for what they could be. Honestly i think the biggest problem is that DC keeps trying to take some of their most iconic positive characters ( there is a reason Superman has the nickname Boyscout) and with almost no development as to why shifts it dark. The reason it has worked in comics is all about the backstory of how you got there. They just aren't giving us that on the cinematic side.

Completely agree. Marvel seems to take a more natural progression with regards to character development, aside from making some of the best casting decisions I’ve ever seen, while DC seems to skip some steps, which always gives the movies a more disjointed feel imo.

I’d be very interested in seeing what Joss Whedon can do for a DC film if he has the entire project to himself and isn’t interfered with by the bigwigs.

Ive been a little behind. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. I’m taking a whole day off today, and am devoting it to getting caught up. I might throw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in the mix as well.

Spider-Man got the best animated movie Oscar! Whoop whoop!

Just watched it. Loved it! You can never really tell from the teaser clips, but I’d be thrilled if they did a Spider-Man 2099. That and the potentially rumored Nova movie would definitely bring out the comic geek in me, as both were among my favorites in my collecting days.

Well, I’ll report back at least!

Warning, possible spoilers!

Short of it: Trailers:
- Shazam - What is DC thinking? The only thing that’s missing is Arnold Swartzenegger and Sinbad and you’d have Jingle All the Way.

- Spider-Man: Far From Home - Looks good! A bit of a spoiler perhaps if one is unaware of the Avengers/Thanos storyline that is coming out soon.

Short of it: Captain Marvel:
- Brie was a bit stiff, even with the “emotionless” pretext. Otherwise, I think she did a middling job, not fantastic but certainly not terrible.

- Not impressed with the Skrull creature design or dialogue, it was very fake.

- Storyline was mostly flat, even with all the action and character building, again, not what we’ve seen in the best of Marvel, but not bad either.

- Overall a decent movie worth seeing in the theater. The missus enjoyed it and some of the messages contained in it. I thought it was fine.

Well, I’ll report back at least!

Warning, possible spoilers!

Short of it: Trailers:
- Shazam - What is DC thinking? The only thing that’s missing is Arnold Swartzenegger and Sinbad and you’d have Jingle All the Way.

- Spider-Man: Far From Home - Looks good! A bit of a spoiler perhaps if one is unaware of the Avengers/Thanos storyline that is coming out soon.

Short of it: Captain Marvel:
- Brie was a bit stiff, even with the “emotionless” pretext. Otherwise, I think she did a middling job, not fantastic but certainly not terrible.

- Not impressed with the Skrull creature design or dialogue, it was very fake.

- Storyline was mostly flat, even with all the action and character building, again, not what we’ve seen in the best of Marvel, but not bad either.

- Overall a decent movie worth seeing in the theater. The missus enjoyed it and some of the messages contained in it. I thought it was fine.

Whatever dude! It was a good movie for what it was...pure entertainment. I'm not a comic book purest and to be honest I don't think most of the audience that sees Captain Marvel is either. That being said...yeah there is some validity to your criticism...though I completely disagree with your characterization of Brie Larson (by the way I think I am in love with her...I mean come on...someone named after cheese...how can you NOT love her 🤪). I do agree that the shape shifter dude could have been done a bit better. But all in all...the movie accomplished what I wanted it to do...give me a nice escape and entertain me. I liked the movie better than most movies. Maybe not my favorite Marvel Movie...but I like it a lot better than just abut all the DC movies (except Wonder Woman...now that's a super hero!).

But like we all say...YMMV.

I took the wife and daughter to see it. They loved it (we are a girl power household).
Some thoughts:
I do agree Brie was stiff and the weakest actor of the cast.
The Skrull leader was drifting into Jar Jar territory.
Colson and Fury were the highlight.
Made Mar-Vell a female. I hate it when they gender bend characters.
I will never look at my cat the same again.

Overall a fun and entertaining movie.

Oh yeah, it was great seeing Stan.
It totally was! And I loved that he was reading the Mall Rats Script! The intro "Marvel" homage to him was fantastic! I know he will be missed...I am glad he was able to see his dream realized at the pinnacle of his empire!

Good thoughts gents! Glad it was still enjoyed. I’ll agree it was still a nice escape for a couple hours Don. I’ve never really read any of the comics, so I didn’t have any expectations except what’s already come from the movie universe so far and the few trailers I’ve seen.

I do think the positive messages in CM were much better stated and pointedly so than WW. I think WW was a better film though.

Back