The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Marvel Cinematic Universe

You mean you watched Aquaman and your wife WATCHED Aquaman
Yeah...that is really is more accurate. While there is some eye candy for us guys in the movie...I really just sat there and felt very inferior as a man! I expect that it was much the same when we went to see Wonder Woman...with roles reversed that is.

I’ll admit, WW is probably the strongest female superhero role right now, for many reasons. Black Widow pretty much got kicked to the curb after that movie came out.

1f606.png

I’ll admit, WW is probably the strongest female superhero role right now, for many reasons. Black Widow pretty much got kicked to the curb after that movie came out.

1f606.png
I think WW has always carried that role, even before the movie.

I think WW has always carried that role, even before the movie.

Could very well be! I just never really got into these kinds of comics prior to the movies coming out. The movies have been my main source of indulgence into the comic universe.

We watched age of ultron last night and might watch ant man tonight.

Really enjoy Age of Ultron.

Wait till Ant Man and the Wasp!

Yeah...Ant Man and the Wasp was my favorite out of the two! Both are pretty good bringing in a more than normal amount of levity.

Also...am I the only person who liked the Doctor Strange movie? Because man...people really rip into that one!

Yeah...Ant Man and the Wasp was my favorite out of the two! Both are pretty good bringing in a more than normal amount of levity.

Also...am I the only person who liked the Doctor Strange movie? Because man...people really rip into that one!
I liked it. Never really heard anyone talk bad about it.

I liked it. Never really heard anyone talk bad about it.

Every time it is discussed among people I know...It seems like someone as something negative to say about it.

I kind of wish I followed the comics as a kid. It just seems like if you did...the movies bring another round and element of entertainment.

I'm behind. Still need to watch Guardians of the Galaxy lol.

I really liked Dr Strange. Another excellent casting job by Marvel on top of an engaging story line.

Dr Strange was good. How could you not like Wong...or the time loop segment!

Dr Strange was good. How could you not like Wong...or the time loop segment!
Wong is in a new show I'm watching now called Deadly Class. He plays a head master at school that teaches teenagers to be assassins. It based off of a graphic novel...I think.

He was masterful at playing Kubla Khan in Marco Polo also on Netflix!

Wong is in a new show I'm watching now called Deadly Class. He plays a head master at school that teaches teenagers to be assassins. It based off of a graphic novel...I think.

He was masterful at playing Kubla Khan in Marco Polo also on Netflix!

Still rockin Beyonce no doubt
1f602.png

Wong is in a new show I'm watching now called Deadly Class. He plays a head master at school that teaches teenagers to be assassins. It based off of a graphic novel...

I watched the first two episodes of deadly class when I was in Hawaii. I really enjoyed it. I wish I had a way to watch them at home. Maybe I can find them online somewhere. Great soundtrack!

Watching another. I like Civil War a great movie that is practically another Avengers film

I watched the first two episodes of deadly class when I was in Hawaii. I really enjoyed it. I wish I had a way to watch them at home. Maybe I can find them online somewhere. Great soundtrack!

I thought this might be up your alley KJ. I think SyFy puts their stuff on Netflix a season after. And yes...the sound track is awesome!

So I’ve been able to watch both DC’s (Aquaman) and Marvel’s (Spider-Man Into the Spider-verse) latest offerings.

I must say, in my mind the trend seems to be continuing; Marvel can do no wrong cinematically and DC just keeps making very poor decisions.

Aquaman was literally dragged kicking and screaming nearly by Momoa’s persona alone. There were some truly funny comedic moments scattered throughout and one mindblowingly fantastic scene (trench descent). The rest was bad, over blown CG (hair in water is still a real challenge) and some really poor visual presentation of characters (like Power Rangers TV show bad).

Spider-Man on the other hand was quite fresh, artsy, and well paced (only a couple parts dragged). It was a really nice mix of story, action, and styling. Let’s also take a moment to realize that this was Marvel’s big screen moment to begin selling the shift to minority focused characters; a major movement that has come to the forefront of the established comic scene. The particular story had the potential to flop big time, but it just...didn’t, somehow. I’m impressed!

So I’ve been able to watch both DC’s (Aquaman) and Marvel’s (Spider-Man Into the Spider-verse) latest offerings.

I must say, in my mind the trend seems to be continuing; Marvel can do no wrong cinematically and DC just keeps making very poor decisions.

Aquaman was literally dragged kicking and screaming nearly by Momoa’s persona alone. There were some truly funny comedic moments scattered throughout and one mindblowingly fantastic scene (trench descent). The rest was bad, over blown CG (hair in water is still a real challenge) and some really poor visual presentation of characters (like Power Rangers TV show bad).

Spider-Man on the other hand was quite fresh, artsy, and well paced (only a couple parts dragged). It was a really nice mix of story, action, and styling. Let’s also take a moment to realize that this was Marvel’s big screen moment to begin selling the shift to minority focused characters; a major movement that has come to the forefront of the established comic scene. The particular story had the potential to flop big time, but it just...didn’t, somehow. I’m impressed!

I have yet to see either of those but i have to say i agree in general with how Marvel just seems to make great choices and DC drops the ball. I don't find what DC does to be unwatchably bad like some claim but they are disappointing for what they could be. Honestly i think the biggest problem is that DC keeps trying to take some of their most iconic positive characters ( there is a reason Superman has the nickname Boyscout) and with almost no development as to why shifts it dark. The reason it has worked in comics is all about the backstory of how you got there. They just aren't giving us that on the cinematic side.

And DC tries hard with CGI, but unfortunately, either due to budget or skillset, it always comes up lacking. Aquaman was better in this regard, but still not what it should/could have been.

Back