The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

20 January, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Gonna liven things up a little with today's Morning Music segment. In a Jazz / Fusion mood this morning so I'm going back to one of my all-time favorite artists and albums. Here's Al Di Meola from his 1991 album Kiss My Axe. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today! Love the scent of the CBL "Lavender & Leather" soap. Very well balanced and provides a very nice olfactory contrast. I had wanted to try this soap specifically with the Skin Bracer splash and see how the lavender notes in the splash go with the soap. Great pairing.

Hope you have a great day!!

CBL "Lavender & Leather" Shave Soap / Semogue "SOC" Boar / Stirling soap Co. Collapsible Bowl / Rockwell "Model T"
Kai / Alum / Mennen "Skin Bracer" After Shave Splash + 444 + Hyaluronic Acid Serum

IMG-5239.jpg

21 January, 2021

Wow! What a dreary day here. Foggy, dark, a light rain.. Very "moody" in a Gothic-ghost-story kinda way.. So here's some apropos music for a day like this. One of my favorite musician / artists, David Kollar. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. First use of the Storybook Soap Works and I really liked it. Great lather and a nice (albeit light) Earl Grey tea-like scent. The citrus notes stood out the most so I thought it would pair well with the "Tequila Tease" Splash. Finished up with a spray of P&G "Old Spice". Great shave!! Now if I can get through this dismal day without falling asleep at my desk, I'll be golden!

Hope you have a great day.

Storybook Soap Works "Visions and Revisions" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / Rockwell "Model T"
Kai / Alum / Pinaud Reserve "Tequila Tease" + 444 + Hyaluronic Acid Serum / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

IMG-5249a.jpg

22 January, 2021

Well, we did it! We made it to another Friday! Small victories!! 😁

In a Bowie mood this morning so for today's Morning Music, I thought I feature a few from his 2002 album Heathen. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today! I had hoped I would have gotten the "Magi" soap before Christmas but alas, that wasn't in the stars (🥸). Luckily, it's not a traditional "Christmas" scent (or perhaps it is in fact the "original" Christmas scent :unsure:), no pine, no cookies, no berries, etc. Instead it's a dry, resinous aroma of Frankincense and Myrrh that would be right at home in a Gothic cathedral. The lather was excellent as with all PAA soaps. Finished with a splash of Clubman "Musk" and a spray of Burberry London. Great shave to end the week!

Hope you have a great day!!

PAA "Magi" Shave Soap / Knothead "Swamp Thing" / Rockwell "Model T" / Kai / Alum
Clubman "Musk" Aftershave Splash + 444 + Hyaluronic Acid Serum / Burberry "London" EdT

IMG-5256.jpg

Frankincense and Myrrh
Chris @CBLindsay had made me a small container of Orange and Frankincense shave soap before he opened doors with his business. I also have a Sandalwood and Myrrh soap from Sudsy Soapery. I would imagine that both of these soaps would be in the realm of Magi. I absolutely love those types scents. I never thought of it that way...but yeah...they both could be in a Temple/Gothic Cathedral type of scent group.

Chris @CBLindsay had made me a small container of Orange and Frankincense shave soap before he opened doors with his business. I also have a Sandalwood and Myrrh soap from Sudsy Soapery. I would imagine that both of these soaps would be in the realm of Magi. I absolutely love those types scents. I never thought of it that way...but yeah...they both could be in a Temple/Gothic Cathedral type of scent group.
Orange & Frankincense sounds nice!

Orange & Frankincense sounds nice!
I thought it was nice but to be honest I don't find Frankincense all that exciting, it DID work well with Orange oil though ...but so does patchouli. I have note played much with Myrrh but I do still use Frankincense in topical rubs for its therapeutic value. Every time I place an order with my exotic oil and resins supplier I am tempted to add a few grams of one of the exotic Myrrh resins ...but I just don't. Maybe I'll smell a great Frankincense & Myrrh some day and jump down that rabbit hole too.

25 January, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Blah! It's Monday again... Because of that I need to ease into the day with some choice tunes. Hope you enjoy!

But a great shave and cup of coffee really help! New soap today. "Lemon Bay" by Grooming Dept. Great lather as with all their soaps. Nice scent though a little more bay in there would have been nice. Observed "No Shave Sunday" yesterday so the fresh Kai I popped into the Game Changer mowed through it like a hot knife through butter. Finished with a splash of Williams Aqua Velva. Great way to start the week

Hope you have a great day!

Grooming Dept. "Lemon Bay" Shave Soap / "Blue Velvet" synth / RazoRock Game Changer
Kai / Alum / Williams "Aqua Velva" + 444 + Hyaluronic Acid Serum

IMG-5266.jpg

I'm confused how donkey = lemon
giphy.gif

26 January, 2021

Unfortunately I didn't. Back was giving me no end of issues. Hardly slept at all. Luckily I go tomorrow and get more shots. Hope they help. Which berings me to the next item. I wont be here to oversee operations at WMRK so @NurseDave , I choose you to be the guest DJ tomorrow. Don't let us down!!

giphy.gif

Speaking of music, here's something to get you day going. Just don't shoot yourself with the .38 snub while trying to fish the bottle of bourbon out of the bottom drawer of your desk..

tracer bullet.png

Great shave today! Love the new brush I glued up. Picked the handle up on Etsy and set a 24mm Phoenix Shaving "Roswell Grey" hybrid fan/bulb knot in it. Great lather this morning. Great soap too! Been really impressed with the performance of the Paladin Shaving soaps.

Hope you have a great day!

Paladin Shaving "Tobacco Road" Shave Soap / Oz Shaving & PAA Brush
RazoRock Game Changer / KAI / Alum / Lucky Tiger Aftershave Tonic

IMG-5269.jpg

Last edited:
Back