The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

You know I actually heard the Theremin in my head soon as I read Good Vibrations!!! Awesome!!!
Seriously Mark I would love to get one but I already have a pedal board that can be seen from space! If I got one of those and did the spastic dance of the Theremin...Mrs. S would take a head! :p

Seriously Mark I would love to get one but I already have a pedal board that can be seen from space! If I got one of those and did the spastic dance of the Theremin...Mrs. S would take a head! :p
Yeah I came close to actually getting one once but I have enough problems with fretless bass... At least on that I have a point of reference. LOL!

Ultimately though, I guess you're using your ears in the same general way.

You know I actually heard the Theremin in my head soon as I read Good Vibrations!!! Awesome!!!

By Source, Fair use, File:Paul Tanner with Electro-Theremin.jpg - Wikipedia This is a picture of Paul Tanner with the Electro-Theremin:
And I think of Professor Tanner who taught the History of Jazz class that I took at UCLA. He is the one who actually played the Electro-Paul_Tanner_with_Electro-Theremin.jpgTheremin on Good Vibrations. Among other things, he played trombone for the Glenn Miller Orchestra from 1938 to 1942 and for the ABC Orchestra. What a great class that turned out to be! It turned me into a life-long jazz fan. I still listen to music he played for us in that class including Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain and Billy Strayhorn's very sad Blood Count (written while he was in the hospital according to Tanner).

"Tanner developed and played the Electro-Theremin, an electronic musical instrument that mimics the sound of the theremin. He can be heard performing on the opening title theme music of the 1963-66 CBS-TV comedy series "My Favorite Martian." The Electro-Theremin is featured on several 1966-1967 recordings by The Beach Boys, with Tanner as the guest player ;[5] most notably on the Capitol Records singles "Good Vibrations", "Wild Honey", in the album track "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", and in the then-unreleased Dennis Wilson's song "Tune L" found in the 1967 archival release "1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow". Paul Tanner - Wikipedia

By Source, Fair use, File:Paul Tanner with Electro-Theremin.jpg - Wikipedia This is a picture of Paul Tanner with the Electro-Theremin:
And I think of Professor Tanner who taught the History of Jazz class that I took at UCLA. He is the one who actually played the Electro-View attachment 20616Theremin on Good Vibrations. Among other things, he played trombone for the Glenn Miller Orchestra from 1938 to 1942 and for the ABC Orchestra. What a great class that turned out to be! It turned me into a life-long jazz fan. I still listen to music he played for us in that class including Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain and Billy Strayhorn's very sad Blood Count (written while he was in the hospital according to Tanner).

"Tanner developed and played the Electro-Theremin, an electronic musical instrument that mimics the sound of the theremin. He can be heard performing on the opening title theme music of the 1963-66 CBS-TV comedy series "My Favorite Martian." The Electro-Theremin is featured on several 1966-1967 recordings by The Beach Boys, with Tanner as the guest player ;[5] most notably on the Capitol Records singles "Good Vibrations", "Wild Honey", in the album track "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", and in the then-unreleased Dennis Wilson's song "Tune L" found in the 1967 archival release "1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow". Paul Tanner - Wikipedia
IT JUST GOT REAL!!!!!!

Yeah I came close to actually getting one once but I have enough problems with fretless bass... At least on that I have a point of reference. LOL!

Ultimately though, I guess you're using your ears in the same general way.
Having played fretless (shhhhh, don't tell any of my other guitarist friends...you know) the Theremin would be easier...LOL

10 April, 2020

Good morning all! Hope you have a great day!!

IMG-3153.jpg

Phoenix Shaving "The Cube 2.0" w/ Menthol
Phoenix Shaving "Twee" Shave Soap
AP Shave Co. 30mm Synthetic
1970 Gillette Super
Gillette 7 O'clock Black
Alum
Phoenix Shaving Unscented Star Jelly

Vintage Avon "Öland" Splash

I've always been scared to death of fretless boards. I don't think my inner tuner is functional enough for that.

Back