The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

1 February, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

New month so I decided to jump back into the journal. So let's get some music rolling this morning and today I'm featuring a couple from the late, great Jeff Beck. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. Chilly today. Temps are in the 40's and there's fog and mist. It's the kind of damp cold that I can never seem to shake. Seems to get down into my bones and I feel cold no matter what I do. So, I went with a "warm" shave today, reaching for Stirling's "Barbershop". Love this soap and it always gives a warm, comfortable feeling. Great lather for two passes (+ touch-up) with the new (to me) Techmatic and I finished with the matching splash and Penhaligon's "Sartorial" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "Barbershop" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 / Techmatic / Alum
Stirling Soap Co. "Barbershop" After Shave Splash /Penhaligon's "Sartorial" EdT

IMG-1372.jpg

Nice job getting the black handled Techmatic! Use of the purple one was making us question things.
View attachment 104034
HEY! That razor was "Prince Approved" so BACK OFF bub!

giphy-downsized.gif

2 February, 2023

It's a wet, dreary day. One of those days where you just want to stay in bed. If there's any upside it's that "Sand Mountain Sam" (Alabama's "Punxsutawney Phil" but an opossum) did NOT see his shadow today! So that means an early Spring! EAT IT, PHIL!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

But let's get some music going this morning and I need something to remind me of warmth and sun so here are a couple from Duran Duran's 1982 album Rio. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. This type weather IMO just begs for deeper, richer scent notes so I went with MacDuffs "American Vintage" shave soap. Wonderful tobacco / woody notes with light spice. Fantastic lather for two passes with the Aristocrat and I finished with a splash of Derby City Chop Shop's "Winter Reserve" shave tonic and several sprays of Phardon "Tabac Rouge". Great complementary frag for the soap!

MacDuffs Soap Co. "American Vintage" Shave Soap / WWBW "Rosé Noir" ST Badger / Aristocrat / Polsilver
Alum / Derby City Chop Shop "Winter Reserve" Shave Tonic / Phardon "Tabac Rouge" EdP

IMG-1381.jpg

If there's any upside it's that "Sand Mountain Sam" (Alabama's "Punxsutawney Phil" but an opossum) did NOT see his shadow today! So that means an early Spring! EAT IT, PHIL!!!
I did not know such a famous opossum existed! Is there a different, tie-breaker animal?

3 February, 2023

Sunny but cold this morning. 33° with NW winds that puts the wind chill at around 22°. But it's Friday so that puts a smile on my face. Let's get some tunes rolling this morning. Getting groovy and funky this morning with a couple from funk, soul and R&B greats Earth, Wind & Fire. Hope you enjoy!

Great end-of-the-workweek shave today. Went with Phoenix Shaving's "Lo Haiku" soap and splash which is their homage to the infamous "Hai Karate" of yore. Not for the faint of heart, this stuff packs a punch! Definitely a rager! Also not something to wear in the warmer months. A cooler-weather scent if there ever was one. Muted citrus top with strong base of woods, green notes, musk and powder. Super thick and slick lather for two passes and I finished with the matching splash and Creed "Tabarome" Millésime.

Phoenix Shaving "Lo Haiku" Shave Soap / YAQI "Moka Express" Badger / W. Hohn Custom / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Lo Haiku" After Shave Splash / Creed "Tabarome" Millésime

IMG-1397.jpg

4 February, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Late post.. Been a busy day and it stated with a very disappointing shave. Did not like the Ginger's Garden shave soap. Not at all... Firstly, there was neither much bay rum scent detectable nor any lime. The only real aroma was some boring mélange of typical scents you'd find in something like Zum Bar soaps from a Whole Foods. Secondly, something in the soap burned. My face felt on fire which only got worse when I used the alum bar. Needless to say, I will not be using it again.

The day got better though. The wife and I went out and had dinner with friends this evening and were treated to an absolutely gorgeous sunset! Beautiful!

IMG-1415.jpg

Hope you're having a great evening. :)

Ginger's Garden "Bay Rum Lime" Shave Stick / PAA "The Peregrino" Synth / Aristocrat / Polsilver
Alum / Shulton "Old Spice - Fresh Lime" After Shave Lotion/ Ogallala "Bay Rum" EdC

IMG-1408.jpg

Did the soap have any form of cinnamon or something similar ? Chris and I spoke about that once and it was due to a soap I tried that had an overabundance of cinnamon in it and it caused a " burn" reaction with me.... Some makers have started using allspice instead and it doesn't cause that problem.... Nice sunset pic BTW...

Shoot - that’s a downer on the soap - especially since the scent is right up your alley And that’s not usually the experience from Ginger’s Garden.
But your day ended strong - so bonus

Did the soap have any form of cinnamon or something similar ? Chris and I spoke about that once and it was due to a soap I tried that had an overabundance of cinnamon in it and it caused a " burn" reaction with me.... Some makers have started using allspice instead and it doesn't cause that problem.... Nice sunset pic BTW...
No, I couldn’t detect any cinnamon at all. I also checked the website and there was no mention of cinnamon. But I’ve used soaps that do have it in the past and haven’t had any adverse reactions.

Back