The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

A quick update on this Noche Buena / Christmas Eve.

Dad is doing well and thankfully is still with us. Basically a lot of misinterpretations and misunderstandings led to him believing that there was nothing more that could be don’t for him. But after multiple meetings with his doctors, Hospice and his priest, we and he now understand that he can remain home and still receive the medical and rehabilitative services he needs. People hear “hospice” and automatically think “end of life”. But they also offer quality of life and other basic services for non-terminal patients.

He understands that though things may not be the same as they were before his accident, it doesn’t mean that life is over. He still has things he wants to do and my brother and I have talked with him and he wants to live. He wants to try to get back to where he was before and he now knows what he must do to get there.

So thank you all for the prayers and positive vibes. They are greatly appreciated. And from my entire family, we hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Pardon any typos or grammatical errors. Fat fingers and tiny iPhone keyboards don’t mesh well. 🎄 🎅
Sounds like a true Christmas Miracle... I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Glad that things are turning better for you and your family !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas Mark And Family , And Here's to hoping for a Very Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27 December, 2022

Hello Cadre! It's great to be back!

Let's get some tunes going and since it's my first post in quite a while, I need to ease back into things so here's a trio from Boz Scaggs. Hope you enjoy!

First shave back in the shower after a week of sink shaving and man it felt so nice! Shaving while surrounded by the steam and warmth. Mmmmmmm.... 🥴

New soap day. First use of the Wholly Kaw "Timmermann Red Label" soap and splash gifted to me by my Rudolph Buddy and I was completely blown away! I had been seeing this soap around and hearing people rave about it in reviews and it was one I had intended to acquire. But there were always other things that I wanted to get first so I had filed it away as one I would get eventually. Used it this morning and was BLOWN AWAY by it. The scent is incredible! Rum, wood and tobacco mainly with a hint of the vanilla and warm spices. And the Wholly Kaw Siero base is some of the best out there. I have a couple of other WK soaps and they're all superb performers. Two passes + touch-up and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Ck One Shock.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

"Timmermann Red Label" Shave Soap / Moon Soaps "Villain" Synth / PAA "META-4" Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / "Timmermann Red Label" After Shave Splash / Calvin Klein "CK One Shock" EdT

IMG-1071.jpg

Good to see you back, Mark. Boz Scaggs is perfect for easing into anything. His music takes me back to the late-1970s as he gained a national following and had plenty of FM radio play. Good stuff. :)

28 December, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and for today I'm featuring a couple from Eurythmics. Annie Lennox is one of my all-time favorite singers and I loved her look and style back in the 80's. Gorgeous!! Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning! Had another setup ready to go but changed after receiving the Stirling "Bonafide" set yesterday. Love the scent which is inspired by Prada L'Homme. I've never tried it so I can't speak to its accuracy but it's great! Reminds me a little of Chanel Platinum Égoïste. Great lather for two passes and I finished with the matching splash and EdT.

Stirling Soap Co. "Bonafide" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Synth / W. Hohn Custom Razor / Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Bonafide" After Shave Splash / Stirling Soap Co. "Bonafide" EdT

IMG-1096.jpg

28 December, 2022

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and for today I'm featuring a couple from Eurythmics. Annie Lennox is one of my all-time favorite singers and I loved her look and style back in the 80's. Gorgeous!! Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning! Had another setup ready to go but changed after receiving the Stirling "Bonafide" set yesterday. Love the scent which is inspired by Prada L'Homme. I've never tried it so I can't speak to its accuracy but it's great! Reminds me a little of Chanel Platinum Égoïste. Great lather for two passes and I finished with the matching splash and EdT.

Stirling Soap Co. "Bonafide" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Synth / W. Hohn Custom Razor / Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Bonafide" After Shave Splash / Stirling Soap Co. "Bonafide" EdT

View attachment 101546
Stirling did a fantastic job on this one. Annie Lennox agrees.

Great shave my brother! Have you seen the live version of Annie with Queen and David Bowie singing Under Pressure? I just watched that recently - came up as a YouTube suggestion.

Awesome shave! How’d the custom razor work? Is that resin or stone that your friend turned it out from?

29 December, 2022

It's "Thrash Thursday" so for today's music selection I'm featuring Slayer's 1994 album Divine Intervention. Hope you enjoy!

Another fantastic shave this morning! Was in the mood for an old school Old Spice shave this morning so I went back to "Old Goat" by Cooper & French. This has become my favorite Old Spice scented soap. The scent to my nose is closer to the Shulton formula than anything else I've used. Great lather too! Two passes + touch-up and I finished with a splash of Shulton "Old Spice" and a spray of P&G "Old spice" EdC.

Cooper and French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / WWBW "Antique" Synth / 70's Gillette Black Beauty / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Vintage Shulton "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion / P&G "Old spice" EdC

IMG-1112.jpg

Last edited:
Back