The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

27 Sept. 2021

Good afternoon gentlemen!

Wanted to make a quick post so you'd know that I'm hangin' in here. Boy, this has NOT been a fun week! Guys, do everything you can to dodge this stuff. I'm feeling maybe 75% of my pre-COVID self but still very little improvement in my sense of taste and smell. Don't get me wrong, it has improved, but only a little. I can mostly just detect "hints" of scents and flavors, like a distant echo of how things should smell and taste. Single note scents and flavors seem easier to detect than conglomerates and that's why I chose the items for today's shave. I can detect the peppermint in the Nancy Boy cream but basically nothing else. Still, that's something! LOL!

Anyway, stay safe. Stay healthy. :)

Nancy Boy "Signature" Shave Cream / Stirling Soap Co. "Lil' Brudder" 22mm Synth / RazoRock Game Changer .68-P
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Nancy Boy "Signature" After - Shave Balm

IMG-7260.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you’re feeling a bit better Mark and getting some of your sense of smell back! It’s be a shame for you to have to ship all your frags to me! 😉

29 Sept. 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Well quarantine is over and so I'm back at the office today. Maybe a slight improvement in the smeller today so I chanced a different soap/splash/frag combo this morning. Got a little bit of the vanilla and tonka bean from the soap. I got more from the Nivea and I could actually smell (though slight) the frag after application. Small steps, but in the right direction. Still dealing with the residual crud from the virus. Some lingering head congestion that I'm using OTC meds to mitigate.

Let's get some music going this morning. I'm revisiting Dirty Loops today. Their new album Turbo has become my fave album of 2021 thus far. Great tunes! Hope you enjoy.

Shave was great. Three passes and a DFS++ result. Love the V4 base of the MacDuff's soap. Very slick and cushioning lather with a fantastic post-shave face feel. Finished with the Nivea Vanilla & Bourbon splash (with added H.A.S.) and a spray of YSL La Nuit De L'Homme.

Hope you have a great day. :)

MacDuffs Soap Co. "Back Country Bourbon" Shave Soap / RazoRock "Big Bruce" Synth / RazoRock Game Changer .68-P / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Nivea DEEP "Vanilla & Bourbon" After Shave Splash + Hyaluronic Acid Serum / YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT

IMG-7270.jpg

Last edited:
30 Sept. 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting some tunes kicked off this morning with some Spyro Gyra. Here they are, live from 1997. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Wonderful lather from the Shaveline NBD soap and I could actually catch the fragrance! :D Three passes of DFS+ bliss, finishing with some Obsession after shave balm and a spray of the matching EDT.

Feeling almost all the way back to my pre-COVID self. Maybe a slight improvement in my sense of taste and smell, but not much. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Shaveline NBD Shave Soap / PAA "Amber Aerolite" Synth / RazoRock Game Changer .68-P / Gillette Platinum
Alum / CK "Obsession for Men" After Shave Balm / CK "Obsession for Men" EDT

IMG-7279.jpg

1 October, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Happy Friday!

Since this is the beginning of the "Spooky Season", I thought I'd find an appropriate video. And so, for your "Freaky Friday" music segment, here's electronic musician Europaweite Aussichten with "The Season Approaches". Hope you enjoy! 👻 🎃💀

Another fantastic shave this morning. Went with Asylum's "Flying Mango" soap (made by Saponificio Varesino). Wonderfully slick and cushioning lather. The scent was light to begin with and since my sniffer is still recovering, I didn't get much from the soap. Maybe a hint of wood and spice/pepper. Three passes yielded a satisfying DFS+ result, finishing with a splash of Halston Z-14 after shave splash (plus skin food) and a spray of the matching cologne.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Asylum "Flying Mango" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Majesty" Synth / RazoRock Game Changer .68-P / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Halston Z-14 After Shave Splash + H.A.S. + ETHOS Revitalizing Serum / Halston Z-14 EdT

IMG-7287.jpg

Back