The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

I did get "the finger" from Lee Sklar though! :ROFLMAO:

IMG_1785.jpg

Perfect!!! 🙌🙌 Definitely a high water mark (see what I did there?).

Yeah, Lee Sklar is always running somewhere at Anaheim NAMM whenever I've been there. Not sure if I ever mentioned it to you but one year when I was there I met and talked with Mike Lull. He was at a table in the basement where the low dollar tables were. Told him I loved my Lull Jazz 4, etc, etc. So I dug around and found this receipt from 1998 when I bought my Lull; so that makes when I met Mike at NAMM maybe a year or two after '98. Funny thing about Bass Alone, a small San Diego bass shop (now defunct) is that it was owned by a guy named John DiMaggio, a kinda beach bum jazz bassist from San Diego; lived on a sailboat in the harbor; his wife was a VP for Bank of America, thereby facilitating a reasonable lifestyle for a jazz bassist beach bum bass shop owner. So, about his name. Of course, I asked him if he's related to Joe DiMaggio, cuz how many DiMaggios have you ever heard of, right?? Turns out John DiMaggio is Joe DiMaggio's nephew.

Careful about my stories. I only have about 3, so I frequently repeat them. :ROFLMAO:

bassalone.jpg

Perfect!!! 🙌🙌 Definitely a high water mark (see what I did there?).

Yeah, Lee Sklar is always running somewhere at Anaheim NAMM whenever I've been there. Not sure if I ever mentioned it to you but one year when I was there I met and talked with Mike Lull. He was at a table in the basement where the low dollar tables were. Told him I loved my Lull Jazz 4, etc, etc. So I dug around and found this receipt from 1998 when I bought my Lull; so that makes when I met Mike at NAMM maybe a year or two after '98. Funny thing about Bass Alone, a small San Diego bass shop (now defunct) is that it was owned by a guy named John DiMaggio, a kinda beach bum jazz bassist from San Diego; lived on a sailboat in the harbor; his wife was a VP for Bank of America, thereby facilitating a reasonable lifestyle for a jazz bassist beach bum bass shop owner. So, about his name. Of course, I asked him if he's related to Joe DiMaggio, cuz how many DiMaggios have you ever heard of, right?? Turns out John DiMaggio is Joe DiMaggio's nephew.

Careful about my stories. I only have about 3, so I frequently repeat them. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 60330
Love it! Yeah I know of Bass Alone. LOTS of drooling over that particular website while it was in operation. Loved their selection of Alleva Coppolo basses. Wish I could afford one of those beauties!

I love my Lull bass! Hated to hear about Mike's passing. Such a shame. I've since "retired" mine. No more live shows for her. Still record with it though.

Lull.jpg

Wait, there's more...

So, under the heading of You Can Find Anything On The Internet, I did a search for John DiMaggio. Turns out sadly he's deceased, c 2014, but I did find a cool memorial comment about John from Norm Stockton, another monster bassist...

norm stockton.png

Dang! Didn't know he passed too.. :(

But yeah, Norm's a monster also! Always loved his slap tone!

14 Sept. 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Let's get some tunes rolling this morning. In a "World Music / Fusion" mood this morning so here are a couple from the band Shadowfax. Hope you enjoy!

Outstanding shave this morning! Sometimes the stars align and everything goes perfectly, seemingly without conscious effort on the part of the experiencer (no, I wasn't sleep-shaving :ROFLMAO: ). Such a thing happened this morning.Perfect lather and shave with literally no feedback from the alum block. Wonderful scent and post-shave face feel from the SV "Cosmo" soap and the matching ASL. Finished with a spray of Hemingway Signature EdP.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Saponificio Varesino "Cosmo" Shave Soap / WWBW "Kokopelli" Synth / Tatara Masamune SS SB Razor / Wizamet Super Iridium
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Cosmo" After Shave Lotion / Hemingway Accoutrements Signature EdP

IMG-7167.jpg

15 Sept. 2021

Going with Fourplay again for today's Morning Music segment. Here a re a couple of live videos for your "Coffee & Contemplation" time. Hope you enjoy!

Another outstanding shave this morning. Went back to MacDuff's "Royal Earl Grey" and back to what has become my all-time favorite soap label. If you want to know why, here's the story..

Great slick and cushioning lather. Scent is wonderful as well. Finished with the matching splash and a spray of Creed's "Royal English Leather". Great start to the day.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

MacDuffs Soap Co. "Royal Earl Grey" Shave Soap / RazoRock "Hive 24" Synth / Tatara Masamune SS SB Razor / Wizamet Super Iridium
Alum / MacDuffs Soap Co. "Royal Earl Grey" After Shave Splash / Creed "Royal English Leather" EdP

IMG-7185.jpg

You got the new RR Hive! Nice! Great shave set…not seen you pull out the Creed English Leather before, is it new to you?

16 Sept. 2021

I had posted these guys yesterday in another thread but wanted to revisit them as I didn't realize that is sax great Grace Kelly in the horn section ( @bosch check it out)! So here is the band Dirty Loops from their new album Turbo. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today. Screw up on my part when I got the lather a bit too thin. However, I was able to salvage it and ended up with a fantastic shave. Love the scent of the Henri et. Victoria "Duc De Santal". Not a true sandalwood but a very nice "cologne" type scent. Finished with the matching balm and a spray of Elizabeth Arden - Arden Men "Sandalwood" EdC. Great frag. Again, not a true sandalwood (though it is in there). More of a "woody aromatic". Quite dry which gives a nice contrast to the H&V scent.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Henri et Victoria "Duc De Santal" Shave Soap / WWBW "Antique" 26mm Synth / Tatara Masamune SS SB Razor / Wizamet
Alum / Henri et Victoria "Duc De Santal" After Shave Balm / Elizabeth Arden - Arden Men "Sandalwood" EdC

IMG-7194.jpg

Last edited:
17 Sept. 2021

We made! It's finally Friday and for today's Morning Music segment I wanted to get you going with something nice and oh, so smooth! So here's a couple from jazz guitarist Norman Brown. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning! Wanted to finish up the work week with an appreciation shave. Went with a couple of goodies I won in the appreciation thread drawing. The Victory Shaving Co. "Hell's Wench" smells wonderful. It's a cherry pipe tobacco scent with hints of vanilla. I also detect something of a dry cocoa powder or dark chocolate note in there as well. Maybe it's just some interplay between the cherry and vanilla notes. Whatever it is, it smells delicious and almost pushes the soap into gourmand territory. Also used the brush made from the beautiful @Knothead handle and Silk Smoke synth knot. Finished with a splash of ETHOS "Clean" Skin Food Splash into which I added a couple of drops of the "Vanilla Safi" fragrance blend and a spray of YSL La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT. Wonderful!!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Victory Shaving Co. "Hell's Wench" Shave Soap / Knothead + Silk Smoke Synth / Tatara Masamune SS SB Razor / Wizamet
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" Skin Food Splash + Vanilla Safi Fragrance Blend / YSL La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT

IMG-7204.jpg

Last edited:
Back