The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Schick Eversharp G-8
  • Blade: Personna 74, (2)
  • Brush: Ever Ready 100, 22mm Maggard black synthetic
  • Soap: Noble Otter Kaboom
  • Aftershave: Noble Otter Kaboom
  • Music: The sound of facial hair being sliced
I got home safe and sound, later than expected because Houston traffic is awful sometimes. It's good to pick on my sister in person again. She's my best friend on the face of existence and I really do miss her when I'm away despite how annoying she is. She has Down Syndrome which surprising hasn't dampened her intellectual ability too much in the grand scheme of things. She's clever and witty, probably because she had to grow up around me. I'll be hanging out with one of my pledge brothers tonight and pretending to do my hazmat stuff.

Surprise night shave! I decided to go with a one pass shave to keep the future work down. On closer inspection, I have a lot of Weck damage, another reason I didn't go for my usual shave. I made it a point to really hydrate my lather tonight, I feel it's been pretty poor recently. The properly hydrated lather provided a damn good shave. I ended up with a serviceable shave. Finished up with the matching splash and I smell amazing.

No picture because I surprised myself too.

I have a couple of things being delivered in the next couple of days, one of which being a Karve razor. I can't wait to use it! I've heard so many good things!

Gotta go! Thanks for reading.

• Pre-shave: Rinse and go
  • Razor: Karve, B plate
  • Blade: GSB, new
  • Brush: Rubberset 139N, 22mm Maggard badger synthetic
  • Soap: Declaration Grooming Shore
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Music: I don't really have music today so I'll post a cover of a cover of The Cure
  • Fragrance: Duke Cannon "Proper Cologne" Seneca
I'm back from my short visit home. I know that's a bit of a subjective thing. I had a patient tell me, "you're always home, you're in Texas." Although that may be true, I literally have two homes, one for my heart, the other for my shaving stuff. I didn't do a lot of catching up with my friends because I'm on a time crunch with this hazmat nonsense, which I'm almost done with. I did spend my last night there installing a door for the in-laws, and I hated every second of it because the old man was trying to help and was instead getting in my way. It would be different if he were able-bodied, but he's not. The door was successfully installed, but it needs a little beautification; I'll take care of that the next time I go home. I did get woken up at 7:20 this morning with a phone call asking where I was. I guess nobody likes looking at the planner that we have. I can't even remember how many times I suggested getting proper scheduling software and being shut down because, "the higher your rank the more you should be expected to do." I guess the old regime was comfortable with losing track of all the moving pieces; the new regime is getting scheduling software in the very near future.

I've heard so many good things about the Karve, so when @Spider put it up for sale I knew I had to have it. Of course it took a month for me to buy, but I regret nothing! It's samples week and I'm super late to the game, but I figured that I'd try to match a sample to the Seneca aquaticness that I took upon myself to review. I'm very impressed with how the Karve felt running across my face. I did have some issues going atg because of the different blade angle, but otherwise I had a very nice shave. DFS+ in the books. I'll have to keep at it to get to the unobtainable full BBS.

IMG_20190802_105835.jpg

I have today's video uploading as I type this. I thought it was going to be shorter because I talked less, but nah. Oh well. I'll master the appropriately long video some other day.

I kinda shared my first impression of Seneca on the thread that inspired me to purchase Seneca, but I'll add to it a little here for those who don't delve into the depths of the Cadre. It's advertised as an aquatic scent, and to my nose it definitely is aquatic. It's hard to pick out the notes, but aside from the aqua, I get a little bit of bitterness from probably the neroli and bergamot. The dry-down is substantially more pleasant, with the aqua evening out quite a bit. I was actually afraid that I wouldn't like it based on my initial impression, but I really like it now, it's balanced and really nice. The price point is very nice too at $25 pre-shipping. I just tried to get Venessa to test how well the scent lingers, which is a terrible idea because she's all stuffy. It's not really holding up very well to my nose and it doesn't seem to project too far. The scent strength is alright, nothing crazy. The scent longevity doesn't seem to be anything to write home about either, it's been an hour since application and I can sense the scent slowly fading every time I go to smell my wrists. I'll update in that thread later today with my final findings for the day.

It's lunchtime, I have money in the bank again, so it's also time to go shopping....errrrr I mean pay bills. Thanks for reading and watching.

I had a time understanding the went home and away from my shave gear thing...........at 1st I thought you stayed at the station and shave gear was there and went home(the apartment) but realized I was off................................think I got it now. You went to the home you grew up (ie your parents place) and are now back at your apartment....................think I got it....................Dave's always been a little off anyway so it really doesn't matter either way................

Well if it isn't Mr Wee Woo. Welcome home?
The Cadre is my online home, which I seemingly never leave. Glad to be back!

I had a time understanding the went home and away from my shave gear thing...........at 1st I thought you stayed at the station and shave gear was there and went home(the apartment) but realized I was off................................think I got it now. You went to the home you grew up (ie your parents place) and are now back at your apartment....................think I got it....................Dave's always been a little off anyway so it really doesn't matter either way................
I think I understood that you understood that. But yeah, I went back to where I grew up and then came back to my apartment.

And now his fiancee is in tears because she read the part about his heart being at his parents house. ;)

That is tooooooooooooooooo true. We spend good money and toys for these ungrateful demons and they prefer playing with bottlecaps. 😤😤😤

That was a very confusing picture for a minute. I couldn't figure out why that little baby has two tails. My babies don't even bother with their tree anymore.

That was a very confusing picture for a minute. I couldn't figure out why that little baby has two tails. My babies don't even bother with their tree anymore.

The tree looked a lot bigger til Mr 19lbs tried to get into it... it went to the shelter.

Mr. Hefty would dwarf Matilda and Emma. But they're also just over a year old.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Karve, C plate
  • Blade: GSB (1)
  • Brush: Vie-Long horse hair
  • Soap: B&M Seville
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, B&M Seville
  • Music: The sound of whatever crap music Venessa was listening to while I shaved
It's a new day and I'm almost done with my hazmat nonsense. I go back to work tomorrow and it'll be a short work week...kinda. I'll have to drive to Sulphur Springs on Tuesday, do my hazmat final and skill, them come home. I think I might be able to stop by and visit @MilkCrate on the way home, seeing as how I'll be on his side of Texas.

I accidentally almost got BBS. This C plate might be the one for me, although it still had a little trouble under my chin. Maybe the OC C plate might work a little better. Anyway, I'm genuinely impressed with the Karve. I would have achieved BBS+ if I had chased even a little bit, but I'm good with BBS-.

PSX_20190803_131141.jpg

I need to talk to Venessa about her crappy music, is awful. They're basically all the same pop songs that try too hard to be edgy.

I followed the advice of the Cadre Elders and helped myself to some free shipping from WCS earlier today. So I have more than a few things coming in the next few days.

Gotta go learn how to stay safe! Have a good one, Cadre!

Back