The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

How do you like the scent of Pharaoh's Dreamsicle? It's one that I have contemplated a time or two!

I just smelled it before putting it away to have a fresh thought on it.

It's a smooth orange scent. The vanilla really rounds it out nicely so that the oranges (sweat and blood) aren't in your face like a straight orange scent might be. I get a hint of the musk, just enough to give it a little twist, and is quite pleasant for me.

I got the matching splash with the "regular" amount of menthol and it's a nice treat for summertime. The cold really lends itself to the theme of the scent.

I think it's also worth mentioning now that I think about it, I can see myself PIFing the splash , replacing it with the straight up version, and adding WS23 to it to get more of the intended scent.

Oh yeah, you asked how I like it. I like it a lot. I might grab at it a little more often for the rest of the summer, but we'll see what my nose thinks about that.

Last edited:
  • Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Schick Eversharp G-8
  • Blade: Personna 74, new
  • Brush: That Easter brush I keep using with the boar knot
  • Soap: B&M Behold The Whatsis
  • Aftershave: Thayer's, B&M Behold The Whatsis
  • Music: The sound of facial hair being sliced
I'm beginning to think the new guy is bad luck. He's been on shift for two days and we've had to do CPR both days. I was successful in the skills that I performed, although they were for naught once again. A valiant effort, nonetheless. Tomorrow is my last day on shift, then 6 days off. I'll be driving back home when I wake up on Monday. I've also been signed up to do my firefighter stuff refresher so I can officially become a certified firefighter. And I have progressed to the next level of paramedic school, the last 5 ride outs before I take my final exam to finish school. I was really productive yesterday.

I keep forgetting to post the mail calls. I got a pack of Personna 74 blades based on @Majorrich's continued praises. The I1 already has a blade in it, so I threw a 74 in the G-8. Getting the dang blade in was a little rough because it seems the oil used to lubricate the blades has dried up. But let me tell you, that is one hell of a blade. Smooth, efficient, and sharp. It made quick work of my 28 hours of growth. Behold The Whatsis is my choice for this week's theme. Yeah, it has mandarin in the notes, it's citrus. Fight me. I can't say I've experienced the things related to the inspiration for the scent, but it does remind me of being a kid for some reason. I got a DFS+ today and I'm not complaining.

PSX_20190727_130500.jpg

I think I've gotten all the words out of my head for now. I need another nap.

Thanks for reading my usual nonsense. Have a good one, Cadre.

I feel like saying "ya can't win them all" but when it's a life that seems so casual. Bottom line , you do what you can and that's all you can do. Enjoy the nap !!
View attachment 6768
You'd be amazed at how desensitized I am. Every now and then it'll hit me when I realize how many people I haven't been able to help. I'll shed a couple of tears and tell myself that we did all we could, it's all we can hope to do, then move on until the next time it happens.

All caught up Ben. Sounds like you had some good, some bad, and some ugly.
It's life, 3 Names. You take the good with the bad, and roll with the punches.

• Razor: Schick Eversharp G-8
  • Blade: Personna 74 (1)
  • Brush: That Darn Rob Gaea, 26mm thingy looking thing
  • Soap: Gentlemen's Nod George
  • Aftershave: Thayer's, B&M Terror
  • Music: RDGLDGRN - Red Gold Green LP
My Friday is finally here and I couldn't be happier. It's been a long week filled with egos, sick people, and politics. I'm hoping for no more serious stuff today, I'm completely okay with grandma calling to have her blood pressure checked all day. I'm excited about going home tomorrow, it's been a while and I miss my people.

I chased today and I didn't really regret it for the first time in a while. But first let's talk about the soap. To start, it has a very pleasant woody scent. I don't have anything in my den remotely like it, so I might be picking it up based on the scent alone. The performance was lacking to start the shave, but I didn't hydrate it well enough until I realized that people might be interested in what I have to say about this soap base. So now we know my first pass was mediocre. The second pass was much better after I hydrated it with plenty of water. I'm not entirely sure how much water it can take, I wasn't paying super close attention, but it was a fair amount. The slickness on the first pass was mediocre, again user error, but it really picked up after proper hydration. I'll have to pay closer attention when I try the next one. Apart from that soap stuff, this 74 blade is awesome. I felt comfortable chasing today so I did and I got as close as I can get without causing myself future pain. I'll call it just a tad short and call it BBS-. No complaints. Terror pairs quite well too.

No picture, I opted to sleep in a few extra minutes and sacrifice picture time. It's been a long week.

RDGLDGRN is a unique band. It's a combination of hip hop, indie, and a hint of punk ethos. One of my pledge brothers wandered off at our first Warped and caught their set. He loved their presence and if course the music and insisted that we listen to them on the way back from San Antonio.

Gotta get back to pretending to do my job well. Thanks for reading. Have a peaceful Sunday, Cadre.

A couple interesting Shaves Mr. The Duck.

I'm not sure I shared this before...but my mother was an EMT for a couple of years and I have mad respect for her for it. She would come home with some terrific highs and some terrible lows. It takes a person with some serious mental toughness to do a job like yours. I think I understand just a fraction of what you guys go through being in the military and in a combat zone...but just a little. You guys live daily in what amounts to a combat zone and have to deal with it for the rest of your lives. Mad respect to you!

That being said...in your line of work...you are that life saving fix that gets the victim/patient to more progressive care! You do your job and you do it well...and that patient has a better chance of getting the care he or she needs and then living to tell his or her grand kids about what happened. Without you...they don't have a chance at all! So while some may go on to live the absolute best lives they can...and others...well, they don't...you have to know that you did what you were supposed to do and give them an even better chance.

Again...serious mad respect for what you do!

A couple interesting Shaves Mr. The Duck.

I'm not sure I shared this before...but my mother was an EMT for a couple of years and I have mad respect for her for it. She would come home with some terrific highs and some terrible lows. It takes a person with some serious mental toughness to do a job like yours. I think I understand just a fraction of what you guys go through being in the military and in a combat zone...but just a little. You guys live daily in what amounts to a combat zone and have to deal with it for the rest of your lives. Mad respect to you!

That being said...in your line of work...you are that life saving fix that gets the victim/patient to more progressive care! You do your job and you do it well...and that patient has a better chance of getting the care he or she needs and then living to tell his or her grand kids about what happened. Without you...they don't have a chance at all! So while some may go on to live the absolute best lives they can...and others...well, they don't...you have to know that you did what you were supposed to do and give them an even better chance.

Again...serious mad respect for what you do!
Nobody needs to see the things that we've seen, whether it be overseas, in a war zone surrounded by people who resent your presence, or on the home front where people resent me because of how terrible our healthcare system is.

We'll both live with the horrific things we've seen and hope that nobody will ever have to experience those things again, knowing damn well that history is bound to repeat itself again, and again.

That being said, it's my passion for humanity that keeps me going. They might resent the bill that they'll receive from my presence, but I make it a point to make everybody's day better as best I can, and I take pleasure in making a sick person smile and laugh like they do when they're not sick.

While our jobs are vastly different, I think we share a common goal in helping people the best way we can in spite of the circumstances. That being said, thank you for what you do and what you did, Don. I have a personal opinion, albeit likely unpopular, that members of the armed forces, past, present, and future don't deserve my respect based on their service, but based on their character. You sir have a strong character and I respect the hell out of you for it.

It's new to the market. They're on the pricier side, even the samples. I'll have to be more thorough to see if they're worth the price.

• Razor: Medical Weck Sextoblade
  • Blade: Personna Hair shaper, new
  • Brush: The pea soup one with my favorite knot
  • Soap: Oleo Wayoh
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Oleo Wayoh
  • Music: Pierce The Veil - Misadventures
Work was annoying. I guess getting off probation status at work automatically makes you an expert on everything that you've never experienced and turns you into an ass. And I'm not talking about myself. Geez I work with some characters. Nothing too exciting at work. I'm still breaking the new guy in and it's a little more challenging than I thought it would be, but there's hope. It's just about time to start the long drive home to Edinburg, Texas, which is about 5.5 hours south. Yes I measure distance in time, not miles, as is expected from a Texan.

I really shouldn't have taken the guard off because I paid the price. My logic was that I need to learn how to shave without it eventually. I had a handful of cuts and nicks and sources of blood. I guess bloodletting myself is punishment for not doing it at work??? Despite the bloodworks I'm walking away with a DFS+, and 3 gallons less blood. Even with the blood flowing, I didn't have a ton of irritation, so I'm taking that as a positive. Oh yeah, Spicebomb FTW!

PSX_20190729_161648.jpg

Not a whole lot to say about PTV. They've been around a while doing their thing. Sometimes the singer's voice annoys me, but not today. Nice energy to keep me going and awake.

Time to start driving. I'll get to the ridiculous stunt shaves when I can, and a normal video should be recorded and uploaded on Friday. Have a good one, Cadre.

Uh oh, someone needs some face rest. And this time not just to look pretty.

Back