The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

I'm pretty happy with Gillette 7 O'clock Stainless (yellow), myself. I used them regularly before I got a pack of Polsilver and Astra.

I'm pretty happy with Gillette 7 O'clock Stainless (yellow), myself. I used them regularly before I got a pack of Polsilver and Astra.

I think I have a couple of those Gillette’s floating around somewhere. I had yellows and greens. I think I’ve only tried the greens so far.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6C, R4 and R2
  • Blade: Feather, fourth use. Laissez le bon temps rouler!
  • Brush: That Darn Rob 26mm High mountain badger knot
  • Soap: Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • Music: Hellions - Rue
Just woke up from my post work nap. I have a couple of things to do today, so I'll crack open a couple of St. Arnold's Saison and get to it...after lunch.

Same-ish hardware combination, with only a change to the brush. Rob Moffett is easily one of my favorite brush makers. I have 3 of his brushes, if I'm not mistaken, and I adore all of them. The knot isn't my favorite, but it's easily my second favorite.

Today's software is brought to you by the great state of Texas. Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm one of those. I have a lot of Texas pride. It was engrained in me at a very young age because my elementary school teachers took Texas Week very seriously.

Noble Otter is actually based in the exact opposite side of town from where I live. Part of me wants to ask Cody if I can volunteer as a guinea pig, but I have a lot on my plate. Maybe I can nerd out later.

Barrbarr is Noble Otter's take on the quintessential barbershop scent. Lots of people say it smells like cookies, and I guess I get that too, but I'm reality it just smells divine, no other description is needed. It is so well blended that I can't pick out individual notes. The performance is up there with the A list artisans too.

I had a great shave until I got to my neck. You'd think that I'd learn after the last 4 shaves. I know better, but I've been chasing a closer shave. I'll probably leave my neck alone for the next could of shaves to let it rest.

IMG_20190428_113814.jpg

Today's music is an Australian hardcore band (I swear I listen to more than just hardcore) that is in my top 3 favorite bands. Rue is their latest release and is their most accessable release so far. A little more poppy and distant from stereotypical hardcore bands, but that isn't a bad thing at all. I prefer their Opera Oblivia album, but Rue isn't too far behind.

Don't mess with Texas.

I think I have a couple of those Gillette’s floating around somewhere. I had yellows and greens. I think I’ve only tried the greens so far.
The price/performance ratio was on point, so that was a selling point. I think I got 100 for like $8 or something around there on Amazon.

Thanks, Dave. But I still have a neck. 🤪

I also just realized that I didn't actually type in the name of the band. Oops.

Hellions is the band for today if anybody cares. Haha

• Razor: Rockwell 6C, R4
  • Blade: Feather, fifth use.
  • Brush: Brush: Rick Montalvo "Pea Soup" with Maggard 26mm 2 band SHD fan knot
  • Soap: CBL Ghost Dragon's Blood
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Music: Direct Hit! - Brainless God
Not much to say today. It's the last day of my "tour" at work, and I get to spend tomorrow in Pasadena pretending to be a paramedic for 12 hours.

Same metal stuff combination. I grabbed the Pea Soup because it has my current favorite knot. Holy moly, that thing is a champ.

It was time to break out the Ghost Dragon's Blood again for it's second use. @CBLindsay did a killer job crafting this soap. If you haven't tried any @CBLSoap.com products, go and get you some.

The only reason I went with the Witch Hazel is habit. Dragon's Blood left my face so dang supple.

I left my neck alone as far as over-shaving today so I could stop destroying it. Got a nick on my Adam's apple for the first time in a year. Not a big deal.

PSX_20190429_054319.jpg

Today's music is from Milwaukee. I got a chance to see Direct Hit! the last time I went home to visit. They put on an energetic show full of passion, which is something I expect from a punk rock band, but is still appreciated. This album is one of their older ones, but it's still a goodie.

I wish you all the best shaves possible and the best day that circumstances will allow.

Pea soup huh? Not the best name for a brush that I've heard. I was expecting a pic of a green swirly brush.

I didn't name it, I just bought it. Haha. I thought it was neat. Green, pink, white, baby blue. It somehow doesn't remind me of vomit.

I always apply some kind of witch hazel post shave too, even if my face already feels great. Just feels right.

No shave today. I had to wake up earlier than usual to make it in time for my clinical. I probably could've brought my dopp, but didn't really think about it.

My current work gear is:
  • Razor: Fatip Grande (OC). I don't remember if there's a CC version, but whatever.
  • Blade: I carry a few Astra SP and Gillette 7 O'clock Stainless (yellow). And a few more extra just in case somebody is willing to be converted.
  • Brush: Crazy Badger "Creamsicle" with a 24mm tuxedo knot
  • Soap and aftershave: I have PAA Cold Spices, which I'm not super proud to have, but the performance is there and I love the idea of mentholated Old Spice. I threw Wholly Kaw Jamestown Gentleman in my bag for today, but forgot the aftershave at home.
I have my student cap on today for 12 hours. I hope they go by quickly; I need adequate sleep.

I wish you all the best shaves possible and the best day that circumstances will allow.

• Razor: Rockwell 6S, R3
  • Blade: Treet Silver, first use
  • Brush: Wild West Brushworks "Bioluminescence" 24mm 2 band badger
  • Soap: Declaration Grooming Sweet Lemon
  • Aftershave: Declaration Grooming Sweet Lemon, Thayer's Original
  • Music: The Dopamines - Expect The Worst

I can finally enjoy my days off. My free time will be spent writing up clinical reports and studying CDL nonsense.

Making its debut today is my Rockwell 6S. I got it off Amazon so my customer service *should* be better in the event that Rockwell's quality control issues rears its head. On initial inspection it looked fine.

DG Sweet Lemon is one hell of a scent. It's like a powdery lemon pie or something. And the performance is top-notch. This is actually the second Icarus base soap that I bought. I'll talk more about Lamplight Penance when the season to use it comes along.

The 3.5 pass shave was incredible. The combination of everything was perfect. The 6S only felt sightly different from the 6C, no complaints there. The blade was 100% better than I expected, sharp and smooth. Actually that blade is going to make it into my den based on that performance. No nicks, no cuts, minimal irritation under my chin. 9/10 shave produced a damn fine shave.

PSX_20190501_111624.jpg

The Dopamines are from Cincinnati, Ohio and make some of the most fun music in my library. Fast paced, and genuinely fun. You can tell that they're just having a damned good time and it's intoxicating and invigorating.

I hope everybody is having a great week so far.

I love that scent! Reminds me of my wife's homemade lemon bars.
That might exactly what it reminds me of. I actually saw your Treet Silver video after I posted this. I was a little surprised in our widely differing opinions, but I chalked it up to difference in gear and faces.

Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R3
Blade: Treet Silver, second use
Brush: Prometheus Handcrafts "Easter"with 24mm Whipped Dog boar knot
Soap: Oleo Soapworks Wayoh
Aftershave: Oleo Soapworks Wayoh, Thayer's Original (not pictured)
Music: Movements - Outgrown Things

Happy Friday! I hope everyone's week is about to end on a good note.

I skipped yesterday's shave for reasons unknown by even me, but I'm back today with another incredible shave.

Continuing on with the Treet and Rockwell combination for the second use. The last shave was pretty damn good. I made sure to dry off the blade to prevent any rusting after the first use, which hasn't always worked with carbon blades.

I feel a little silly about the brush. The handle is huge, the knot is tiny and set too low for me. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting to happen when I set the knot, like it was magically going to grow up a few millimeters. It wasn't until a few minutes after that I realized that I could've throw in a couple of pennies to lift it. Regardless, it looks funny to me, but that knot is perfect. Larry at Whipped Dog emailed me after I placed my order and pointed out that the knot swells a couple of millimeters. Fortunately for me, the handle was bored at 26mm, so I was good to go.

I am currently obsessed with Viktor and Rolf's Spicebomb. Vida's interpretation of it is a little different, but I still love it. So combined with the scent and performance, today's choice was a no-brainer.

The shave was about as good as the last one. No drama, no irritation. The blade feel and feedback is quite different, but I like it. Thayer's works like magic and Vida's skin food aftershave added to it beautifully.

PSX_20190503_101437.jpg

Movements is from somewhere in California, doesn't really matter. I got to see them in Austin a couple of years ago playing with Senses Fail, Counterparts, and Like Pacific. I had no idea who they were, but their performance had me looking then up on the spot. That entire show made the drive worth it, as I had to drive back to Houston at midnight, and work the next night. The heartfelt and genuine lyrics speak to me and the music is creative in its own way.

Thanks for reading my brain vomit!

Back