The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

You probably did all you could. I know it doesn't make it better, but at some point a person has to be accountable for himself. I know that doesn't help ease your mind all that much, but it's the best I got.

Your shave on the other hand looks absolutely divine!

Rough shift, but hang in there. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Great recovery shave, btw.

You probably did all you could. I know it doesn't make it better, but at some point a person has to be accountable for himself. I know that doesn't help ease your mind all that much, but it's the best I got.

Your shave on the other hand looks absolutely divine!
Thanks, Don. I'm doing better. I really just needed to get some sleep to start the healing process. I'll be back to normal in a couple of days.

Rough shift, but hang in there. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Great recovery shave, btw.
I'm definitely my own worst enemy *Lit playing in the background* but I mean well.

Thanks, Don. I'm doing better. I really just needed to get some sleep to start the healing process. I'll be back to normal in a couple of days.

I've been there brother. Maybe not as an EMT or first responder, but I have seen some pretty awful stuff doing what I did in the Military. I also worked in an abducted children and human trafficking task force...you can take an emotional toll...like you said...get some sleep...you will do better later.

I've been there brother. Maybe not as an EMT or first responder, but I have seen some pretty awful stuff doing what I did in the Military. I also worked in an abducted children and human trafficking task force...you can take an emotional toll...like you said...get some sleep...you will do better later.
Man, I know I wouldn't be able to handle that job. I'm going to lose my mind after my first pediatric arrest and I might beat parents close to death for child abuse. But I knew what I was getting myself into and I'm handling the PTSD a lot better than my dad did. I'll probably give it a good cry after a couple of beers.

That's Rough Ben, but sometimes there is nothing else you can do. Keep your head up, you are doing great work for your community!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6C, R4 and R2
  • Blade: Feather, third use because old habits die hard
  • Brush: West Coast Shaving Deranged Edition 24mm Ghost knot
  • Soap: Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Talbot Shaving Cole's Pond
  • Music: Defeater - Abandoned

Today is a new day and with it brings opportunities to help people again. It *should* be less chaotic, but considering how dysfunctional my department can be, I wouldn't count on it. My consolation prize is that admin is out for the weekend and I can work on school stuff with minimal interruptions.

The razor and blade for today is the same as the past couple of days because I don't usually switch it up in the middle of a work week. Don't fix it if it ain't broke?

The brush holds a lot of sentimental value. It was an anniversary gift from my then girlfriend, now fianceé. We both like it based on the colors reminding us of being kids in the 90's and funky color combinations. I was a little surprised that the knot required a little breaking in, but it's exactly as soft as advertised and has strong backbone for a synthetic.

Unconditional Surrender is easily in my top 5 scents and is my go-to when I feel I need an extra boost in confidence. The soap is top-notch too, what I think we've all come to expect from Declaration.

Cole's Pond somehow pairs well with Unconditional Surrender, at least to me. I only have the aftershave, so it's not as big a deal wen I use it; I cherish my stock of Unconditional Surrender and might cry for days if it's ever discontinued.

The shave was uneventful and yielded similar results to yesterday's shave. I braved up and went atg on my neck with the R2 plate and got a decently closer shave. There was a little irritation, but not a big deal. The blade is getting noticably smoother without losing the sharpness.

IMG_20190426_202931.jpg

Defeater is another hardcore band. But this band is a little different. Defeater's albums are all based on a concept that takes place during The Great War, Great Depression, WW2, and post war. Give them a listen if you don't mind a little screaming.

Very nice shave and write up! It's always nice to have an emotional connection to a brush, or razor, or soap, etc. Just makes the shave that much better. DG and CL definitely have a good thing going!

Very nice shave and write up! It's always nice to have an emotional connection to a brush, or razor, or soap, etc. Just makes the shave that much better. DG and CL definitely have a good thing going!
Agreed. Their combined talents make incredible products. Sni Mato missed the mark for me, but I love how complex Lamplight Penance is, and how the scent changes during the dry down.

All caught up there Mr. Duck. I can say for sure I wouldn't be able to do your job and deal with the day to day stress. So thanks for all that you do.

So a Rockwell plate 4 user. An affinity for heavy music. Did we just become best friends?!? 😂😂😂

All caught up there Mr. Duck. I can say for sure I wouldn't be able to do your job and deal with the day to day stress. So thanks for all that you do.

So a Rockwell plate 4 user. An affinity for heavy music. Did we just become best friends?!? 😂😂😂
Meh. It's not that bad. The hardest part is dealing with families that think they know what's best and are completely wrong.

We did! Quick, what's your favorite blade?! 🤣

I haven’t tried a Polsiver yet, but I’ve heard good things. GSB’s seem to be a common favorite as well, but I’ve yet to get good results from one. I don’t think I’ve ever used one in my Rockwell though

Might but be your blade. Not a big deal. My face hates damn near all the carbon steel blades, the exception is one particular Treet blade.

I haven’t tried a Polsiver yet, but I’ve heard good things. GSB’s seem to be a common favorite as well, but I’ve yet to get good results from one. I don’t think I’ve ever used one in my Rockwell though
Polsilver Blades are pretty good. But man they are getting expensive and I am finding that other blades might be better.

Back