The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Just a guy who shaves.

Great job on the restore. It looks almost as good as new.

It seems like there should be an easier way to get a boar knot than to cut up a metal brush handle.

Great job on the restore. It looks almost as good as new.

It seems like there should be an easier way to get a boar knot than to cut up a metal brush handle.
Thanks Doug, that's the only way I know to get Zenith knots, but other boar knots are available from several places without a handle. Zenith makes the knot in the handle at the time of manufacture, and they are good knots.

Nice reno on the brush there. I have a similar one I have been wanting to work on. Got a little busy I guess.

That funky knot removal...lol
Ewwww!
View attachment 35551
Yeah, some are kinda nasty looking. This brush had a steel ring which had rusted badly, which made it look bad, you can see it still in place in the pic. I was able to tap it out the bottom and get rid of it without hurting anything. Can't do that with a Rubberset, those are molded in.

Son-in-law found a razor in some junk shop and bought it for me a year or two ago. Don't laugh, he tried to do a good thing.

It's one of those German things that come in cheap leather travel kits.

mine1.JPG

mine.JPG

mine3.JPG

The handle weighs nothing, the baseplate is aluminum, and the zamak cap is the heaviest part of the razor. The handle is so light that if you lift it just a little the whole razor rolls over and balances on the cap.

mine2.JPG

Here I am holding the handle down.

mine4.JPG

Back