The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Just a guy who shaves.

simple stuff and plenty of room to get in there and work.
I worked at a Sunoco service station in that period (1973-75), pumping gas, doing tune-ups, etc. On an old V8 or V6, I would literally sit in the engine compartment, my butt on a front quarter panel and my feet atop the interior engine compartment, while pulling spark plugs with a long wrench. Remember the AMC Pacer? The 1975 model required you to take out the motor mounts, and drop the motor several inches to simply reach all the plugs for a tuneup. Crazy.

I worked at a Sunoco service station in that period (1973-75), pumping gas, doing tune-ups, etc. On an old V8 or V6, I would literally sit in the engine compartment, my butt on a front quarter panel and my feet atop the interior engine compartment, while pulling spark plugs with a long wrench. Remember the AMC Pacer? The 1975 model required you to take out the motor mounts, and drop the motor several inches to simply reach all the plugs for a tuneup. Crazy.
Wasnt the Pacer intended to use GM’s Wankel engine until they pulled the plug on it? Would have made for a much better fit under the hood. And all that glass!

Wasnt the Pacer intended to use GM’s Wankel engine until they pulled the plug on it? Would have made for a much better fit under the hood. And all that glass!
I'm not sure about the engine. I remember a longterm customer brought his new Pacer in to show it off and my boss simply shook his head when looking at the engine compartment. There was barely enough room to get to the plugs we could see, never mind the ones we couldn't. I recall being glad the car would be taken to the dealer for a year or so. We mostly worked on cars of 1960s vintage, a bunch of early 1970s, and several from the late 1950s. My personal favorite was a 1962 Chevy Impala - that was one gorgeous boat of a car!
1599661072131.png

I think I was the only person on the planet that knew that pre '75 Mopars and pre-'65 Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobiles had left hand thread on the left side lug nuts.

And once the fan and radiator come out you stand on the floor in front of the engine. :cool:

And once the fan and radiator come out you stand on the floor in front of the engine. :cool:
There was certainly room for it, though I never did. When replacing a water pump I would lie on the front of the car and reach in. Sometimes it was so deep my feet would leave the floor and I would balance on my stomach above the grill.

OK, the face has been deforested, but not the mustache that covers both lips and more, wife won't let me shave that. Flawless shave as always.

The soap and aftershave I got from MilkCrate's very generous pif, the razor and brush are from the bay.

Love the razor, no-name, from Bulgaria, chunky, brass, plenty of blade feel, alignment is good with the cap one way, just about unusable if you flip it around, it has character!

100_2557 (2).JPG

You did a great job! I've always wanted to restore that type/shape of handle, but I'm scared of messing it up beyond repair and throwing away the investment.

Back