The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Just a guy who shaves.

This stuff came today.

100_2828.JPG

This is actually what I was looking for.

100_2832 (2).JPG

I took the tube from the '20's ball end with missing ball and put it on the '20's single ring with no tube, now I have two complete Single Ring Gillettes. One is a 1906 thin cap, the other is a thick cap '20's.

All this is as received, nothing has been cleaned.

100_2836 (2).JPG

Lousy pic

Vintage Durham Duplex DuBarry razor
Personna Durham Duplex Pathology blade
Vintage Whiting Adams Boar brush
Vintage Williams shave soap
Captains Choice Venture aftershave

Awful shave! Felt like I was using Graham-Field med prep blades, the shave results were OK, but it felt like each hair was being ripped from it's socket.

100_2843.JPG

Lousy pic

Vintage Durham Duplex DuBarry razor
Personna Durham Duplex Pathology blade
Vintage Whiting Adams Boar brush
Vintage Williams shave soap
Captains Choice Venture aftershave

Awful shave! Felt like I was using Graham-Field med prep blades, the shave results were OK, but it felt like each hair was being ripped from it's socket.

100_2843.JPG
Ouch! That sounds horrible Toby. For some reason those razors make me think of carpet cutters. Guess they shave like one too? On the positive side, the handle is nice on those. Good display piece.

Wishing you better shaves next time.

I have some Actual Durham blades. I tried to shave with one a while back in my Durham DE. Even though they were packaging still...those blades had deteriorated. I read about the personnas...and was thinking of trying one, but it seems the consensus with the pathology blades is pretty much the same as yours!

Ouch! That sounds horrible Toby. For some reason those razors make me think of carpet cutters. Guess they shave like one too? On the positive side, the handle is nice on those. Good display piece.

Wishing you better shaves next time.
Thanks man. (y) The original blades must have been good when they were new, they made and sold millions of the various Durham Duplex razors, maybe I'll try some vintage blades one day. I love the handles, I've had one for years on a Tech, and I bought three complete DD razors just for the handles, but I wanted to give one a chance before putting the head in the "parts" drawer. It's going in the parts drawer! ;)

I have some Actual Durham blades. I tried to shave with one a while back in my Durham DE. Even though they were packaging still...those blades had deteriorated. I read about the personnas...and was thinking of trying one, but it seems the consensus with the pathology blades is pretty much the same as yours!
Thankfully someone gave me a couple of blades to try before I bought some, and he warned me that they weren't smooth and comfortable. I wonder sometimes if we are spoiled by modern blades, maybe shaving in the '30's and '40's wasn't a pleasant chore.

Back